SMS/text messages syncing with Windows 10 desktop Messaging app

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
They need to add SMS and phone calls as cross-device experiences. BOOM. Now that would be something to differentiate Windows phone. The stuff they showed makes a case for "better on Windows", but phone and SMS integration would actually be an " ONLY on Windows" experience.

Well, not anymore.
You can do that between between OS X, even on the new El Capitan version, and iOS.

In fact the Skype messaging app looks *a lot* like iMessage on Mac, but without the benefit, like on iMessage, of seeing if a message was read (not just when you sent it time stamp), and when the other user is replying to you and typing, in real time.

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I believe it was said that the future skype will have these features but wont be ready for the windows 10 PC launch. Guessing prob be ready when windows 10 mobile launches.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Isnt this what the Phone Companion app would do? I just watched a video on it on youtube.
- Sent via Tapatalk on my Surface Pro 3

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Isnt this what the Phone Companion app would do? I just watched a video on it on youtube.
- Sent via Tapatalk on my Surface Pro 3

Nope. The phone companion app is simply used to configure your phone (iPhone / Android / iOS) for use with Microsoft services/apps such as Outlook, OneNote, Office, Skype, Cortana, etc. to provide a familiar experience from your Windows PC to your smart phone.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why this isn't really available yet. I have a dummy(no sim card) windows phone for win10 testing, and it gets a backup of all my SMS messages. This is obviously using the onedrive backup. there is basically a 1 second delay from when i would see a message come through on my real phone to seeing it on the dummy phone.
why can't they just make the SMS capability through onedrive accessible in win8, and then when it syncs, it sends the message?

also, the desktop client of Skype already SMS's, but it cost money.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
there is a "project my screen app", where you can hook up your phone to a usb and basically control anything from your desktop, including SMS:
Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center

The idea here is to reply to SMS messages without a dock / USB connection. For example, while your phone is in another room charging or even in your pocket. It's just more convenient to reply on a PC or tablet if you're already on the device. The application you mentioned is an ancient idea that was possible during the days of Windows Mobile 6.x.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't deny that responding via cable with your phone through your computer is ancient. I'm simply saying it's possible.

I honestly don't know why WP and windows 8 machines haven't been able to do this, considering I can see text and respond with my cheap car stereo or even my Msft Band, and anything else that is bluetooth enabled. You can even use your windows phone as a mouse to control your desktop. but they simply can't make it work wirelessly???

maybe it's coming soon...

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't deny that responding via cable with your phone through your computer is ancient. I'm simply saying it's possible.

I honestly don't know why WP and windows 8 machines haven't been able to do this, considering I can see text and respond with my cheap car stereo or even my Msft Band, and anything else that is bluetooth enabled. You can even use your windows phone as a mouse to control your desktop. but they simply can't make it work wirelessly???

maybe it's coming soon...

It seems to be in there plans (by looking at concept images of their messaging app), but there's no confirmation in that. But this feature is something that would work in the cloud, not Bluetooth. Android already has 3rd party apps (MightyText) that syncs your SMS messaging to the cloud and allows you to reply to them in a web browser on your PC. This is essentially the functionality we're hoping to get in the new Universal messaging app. So for example you receive a text message on your Windows 10 Mobile device, and you're able to launch the same universal messaging app on your Windows 10 tablet or PC and reply to that text message, all while syncing the entire conversation across devices in near real time.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
So for example you receive a text message on your Windows 10 Mobile device, and you're able to launch the same universal messaging app on your Windows 10 tablet or PC and reply to that text message, all while syncing the entire conversation across devices in near real time.

I would love to have this functionality for any apps on my phone and PC 😻. Messaging app is a good start, hope MS aware of this not-so-new feature and start working for a native solution on it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, not anymore.
You can do that between between OS X, even on the new El Capitan version, and iOS.

Sorry, I should have clarified that it would be a differentiator for Windows Phone within the universe of people who have a Windows PC (i.e. the appeal would be to all the folks who have a Windows computer but see no benefit to using a Windows phone instead of Android or iPhone). The demonstration of this feature at WWDC last year (IIRC) is what really hammered home the obvious opportunity that Microsoft is ignoring.

RMStark1966

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Blackberry has been doing this for years...its unfortunate that windows hasn't done it...its a nice platform As I use my Blackberry a lot..more so than my windows phone for that purpose alone

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't it supposed to be available around October or later this year? I think MS is aware of the need for universal messaging and video calls. I just hope it works a little better than Skype for Business does now. It works, just a little clunky with the phone.

Michael FORBES

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why Microsoft does not just cut the crap with trying to be "Smart and being Online and Synced". Just give us the basic ability first to plug our Mobile into the computer with a cable and use the Keyboard of the Computer to type texts using the carrier connected to the phone. My old Nokia E-52 does exactly just that with the Nokia PC Suite. I especially bought the Nokia Lumia 640 Dual Sim Phone so that I could have my Work Sim and Personal Sim in the one smart phone, but I have found out not that the Phone is not that smart with the lack of this feature with the Computer. I'm going to have to now keep two separate phones an possibly ditch the windows phone, and end up getting a Single Sim phone for my personal use and an alternate device for my Work Sim which integrates better with the work computer.

Nick Cipriani

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I know this is probably a little late but with the Cortana app for android installed I sometimes get notifications on the desktop when I miss a carrier call on my phone so that's promising =D

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
For Microsoft Lumia device connected (USB, WiFi or Bluetooth) to Windows 10 desktop, there should be some kind of app or functionality to send and received text / call from PC. Its already possible with Android (or iOS and Mac).

mikechaudron

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm late to this thread, but all I am trying to do is SMS text from my Surface Pro 4, using my cell phone number, without requiring people to have a particular app. I was online this morning with Skype support and Skype can do that, but at a cost of 11.2 cents per text. Are you kidding me? This isn't 1998.

I would value any advice to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure you can respond to incoming texts on another device via Cortana, she will reply via your phone without even touching it. I know that's not syncing messages or anything but it's a start.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm late to this thread, but all I am trying to do is SMS text from my Surface Pro 4, using my cell phone number, without requiring people to have a particular app. I was online this morning with Skype support and Skype can do that, but at a cost of 11.2 cents per text. Are you kidding me? This isn't 1998.

I would value any advice to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.

SMS requires Skype credit, in other words, money.

Sending text via SMS and Cortana does not require Skype credits. You need to have Cortana installed on your phone. Cortana on your Windows 10 PC/tablet will use Cortana on your phone to forward the message using your phone. I've tested and done so using both Windows 10 Mobile & Android.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05