OS size for 7" and smaller devices

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
If all phones and 7" tablets are getting the same exact software and MS is releasing devices with only 8 gigs of storage, does it stand to reason 7" tablets will see a massive increase in free storage with Windows 10? I have the 7" WinBook from Microcenter. My only gripe is I can't install more than a couple of Metro Games (forget anything from Steam). If this update frees up 8 gigs or so, I would be so happy and thankful.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a slightly different question (I apologise for hijacking your thread). I have an 8 inch tablet with a measly 16gb of on board storage. With office 365 and a few apps installed, there's just 2gb of storage remaining. If I uninstall office 365 and these apps there'll be about 9gb of storage. My question: will this 9gb be enough to download the update or will they open it up to downloading it to SD card before installation (ok not a lot of people on these forums will know about the SD card thing but of you do, your input would be highly appreciated).
Thanks in advance.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a slightly different question (I apologise for hijacking your thread). I have an 8 inch tablet with a measly 16gb of on board storage. With office 365 and a few apps installed, there's just 2gb of storage remaining. If I uninstall office 365 and these apps there'll be about 9gb of storage. My question: will this 9gb be enough to download the update or will they open it up to downloading it to SD card before installation (ok not a lot of people on these forums will know about the SD card thing but of you do, your input would be highly appreciated).
Thanks in advance.

Try this tread http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-technical-preview/336158-windows-10-tp-devices-compressed-os-hp-stream-8-a.html

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It'll likely be an exception since. It's X86. Microsoft was likely talking about new hardware

They were making it clear there was a cut off between 7" & 8". That's why RT devices aren't just getting lumped with the rest of ARM/small devices. Seems like this is still a wait and see.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They were making it clear there was a cut off between 7" & 8". That's why RT devices aren't just getting lumped with the rest of ARM/small devices. Seems like this is still a wait and see.

The difference between 7" and 8" devices is largely related to licensing. Only for devices below 8" can OEMs get the smaller W10 OS for free, with an install size of <1GB. For devices above 8" OEMs pay the normal price for a W10 license and get the full package, with an install size of >13GB.
Technically though, there is nothing preventing OEMs from installing either OS on a larger or smaller device than MS intended... It's just unlikely.
For existing devices the size isn't relevat. If your current device came with the normal desktop version of Windows, then you'll be able to upgrade to the normal desktop W10 for free, even if it's a 7" device.
Devices running Windows RT are still the big unknown. According to MJF and Paul Thorrot, those devices will receive an update, but it's unclear to what.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It's really odd to me that they didn't say devices 7" and up would get Windows 10 and devices under 7" get Windows 10 mobile. There were a few 7" x86 tablets that came out late in 2014 and it seems really odd to me that you would put the mobile OS on these tablets.

It's also a pretty safe bet that nobody will be making a Windows phone over 7". Putting the dividing line for the OS at 8" seems like a really unusual decision.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There were a few 7" x86 tablets that came out late in 2014 and it seems really odd to me that you would put the mobile OS on these tablets.
And they won't. The size is just a guideline. Not a rule. Those 7" x86 tablets already came with the full version of Windows, so they will be updated to full W10, not W10M.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel