missing cortana search box in taskbar

ianmi

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it happened to me as well.
After a massive Windows 10 update last night.
It removed my Search Bar, also removed my Desktop photo, and also
removed a program I had recently downloaded and installed.:unhappy:

John Fowles

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
re pmessage number 18

I, too, was missing the search box but nothing in the previous replies helped. Then Googled "lost cortana box" and got to howtogeek.com's discussion of how to hide the search box (the opposite question). The answer: right-click on any empty space in the taskbar, click on Cortana, and either click on "hidden" to hide it or on "show cortana icon" to show just the icon or "show search box" to do that.

Quick reply to this message
OK on my W10 just upgraded to the latest Fast Ring build 14367 I had no Seach box but on the task bar whilst not an actual Cortana icon on the left was a tempting plan white circle. mousing over it revealed Cortana's catch phrase "Ask me anything" so I right clicked it and saw a useful option to "show touch keyboard button" which I unchecked as it had tended to get in my way anyway.I then thankfully found that simply clicking the circle showed the Cortana details and the good old searchbox which was sorely missing

John Fowles

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
OK I found no Cortana icon as such on the taskbar of my Windows10 ( I had just upgraded a new installation to the latest Fast Ring build 14367, but on the left next to a left back arrow WAS a tempting plain white circle that when hovered over popped up Cortana's familiar catchphrase "Ask me anything"
I tried right clicking and was pleased to then find a checkable option to "Show touch keyboard button" which I happily unchecked as that task bar icon had been getting in my way for ages
I then almost by accident realised that simply clicking that circle revealed full Cortana details including the most useful search box
I have no idea why it had gone AWOL because I am sure that previous Window's10 installs or upgrades had always had the search box displayed by default

David Dickinson

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem,after solving it,my taskbar will not stay visible and just slides off the bottom of the screen until i hover my cursor over the area the taskbar inhabits then it appears briefly then disappears again.Has anybody any ideas?.......................Dave.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss