missing cortana search box in taskbar

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
so, anyone else got this? even when I select "show the search bar in taskbar" button, it still only shows the button, curious of if my install is borked or if i found me a beta bug

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
If you have too many windows open or if your screen is too small, it minimizes the search bar into a search icon (Cortana symbol).

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Ha ha, doesn' sound like that's the problem at all!

I'm noticing that the Search Bar becomes part of the Start Menu whenever you press the start button. Do you see it when you press the start button?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha, doesn' sound like that's the problem at all!

I'm noticing that the Search Bar becomes part of the Start Menu whenever you press the start button. Do you see it when you press the start button?

yea, the search box is there when I click it, I honestly prefer the button, but I like toying with things, and while doing so, realized I couldnt use the search box option lol

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
interesting, I just installed the latest update to my laptop, and it too wont use the search bar option..

do you know what the screen size requirement was for it?

Ken Bowman

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Check your properties for the taskbar and uncheck use small taskbar buttons if it is checked. That showed the search box for me

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
well, I'm glad theres a fix for you guys! I've since learned after making this post that Microsoft doesn't let you use the search box in taskbar when you dock the taskbar at the top of the screen for some retarded reason..

anon(9614198)

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
thank you Ken Bowman!!!!!

I spent what seemed like hours trying to figure out why one laptop would not show the option to have the search box, turned out to be the simple setting you suggested. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I, too, was missing the search box but nothing in the previous replies helped. Then Googled "lost cortana box" and got to howtogeek.com's discussion of how to hide the search box (the opposite question). The answer: right-click on any empty space in the taskbar, click on Cortana, and either click on "hidden" to hide it or on "show cortana icon" to show just the icon or "show search box" to do that.

ozstamps

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Just installed Windows 10 and also having issues finding WHERE to search my computer data base, of outlook emails, and word docs and scans etc etc.

I used that 20 times a day. Used to be a little box at lower left on my screen.

The post before mine seems to be the answer but DUMMIE question WHERE is the "taskbar" I need to right click on? Is that the same as the toolbar? Anyway, wherever I right click I see nothing that mentions 'Cortana'.

Apologies for such a thick question but not sure where exactly is that is on my laptop screen?

Do not even know where to find the section to the uncheck small icons? I am using Firefox is that is relevant.

No idea what or where a "Cortana" is either, but that does not seen relevant if I follow the post above?

Glen in Sydney

ozstamps

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
OK found Taskbar along base, and right click and small icons was not checked and I get none of these options available to me?

The answer: right-click on any empty space in the taskbar, click on Cortana, and either click on "hidden" to hide it or on "show cortana icon" to show just the icon or "show search box" to do that.

I can see a brief flicker of that round blue Cortana symbol on taskbar at base, but it vanishes in a millisecond and can't be licked on as far as i can see

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes