Where does W10 leave Windows RT tablets?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I definitely gave feedback to Microsoft that the tablet experience looks and sounds terrible. I have a Surface 2 but from seeing it running on the tablets, I feel like the tablet experience is turning really bad. The taskbar should not have a start button when a physical hardware key is present, it also should ditch the notification area and place the time in the top right hand corner of the screen. The action center should be swiped in. And Cortana could be moved to the right hand of the taskbar, to make room for the apps. The taskbar should only be visible on the Continuum start screen, and when swiped in.

Now back to desktops, that experience is utter crap lol. First of all I loved the Longhorn vision for WPF applications and WinRT obviously builds on that for phones and tablets, but now with desktops, the UI elements need A LOT of work...The settings app looks huge. That new date/time display that was hidden in 9926 looks huge, it takes up half the height of the display. The universal apps in general are too huge and this knocks productivity and usability with having to maximize all the windows because they are too oversized to be in small windows or even medium sized windows. They should only be that big once you switch to tablet mode. And I'm on a 1080p monitor, which is the norm.

​Didn't Microsoft do some telematics thing for Windows 8 that showed the most common resolution is 1366x768?

StudentoflifeUSMC

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The problem with your statement is that those people who want their start menu back - are the people who keep Microsoft in business.

They're the multinational companies who buy 10s of thousands of copies at a time. Or universities. Or the government. They don't want to waste employee productivity and profits retraining their employees on how to function with Windows 8.

Coincidentally, a lot of the decision-making people in those companies are ALSO the shareholders in Microsoft. So they're getting double the vote. One for "we're not going to upgrade if you don't give us what we want." and two for "We're going to dump our shares if you don't give us the profits that we want by giving the other major stakeholders in the company.

A lot of you seem to forget, that Microsoft wasn't built to satisfy consumers. It's bread and butter is professional products to companies and large entities. That's the mentality that's kept them alive throughout the decades, and as one of those shareholders (albeit a VERY small one) I don't see them moving away from it.

Consumers are fickle. They like trends. But businesses like reliability. And it's big businesses that keep Microsoft IN business.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably misreading you, but it sounds as though you're suggesting they should only get feedback from desktop loving cheerleaders. This week's event and preview was billed as showing more of the consumer features. I jumped in with physical hardware this time--my Dell XPS 12 2-in-1--so that I could provide meaningful feedback about my experience with the preview. I have done that and will continue to experiment with it.

Microsoft should get honest feedback about where they're going, even if it upsets some.

Yes they should. I agree. So give the feedback and stop crying on the forums.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok here is what I do not get, the Windows RT (Windows on Arm)….
A lot of people say it can’t run Windows x86 apps, well it could if Microsoft built in an emulator (like the jail broken Win RT 8 with WINE).
A lot of people say the Desktop is dump, get rid of it….
A lot of people say Touch is dumb I want the Start Menu and Desktop Mouse and Keyboard back…

Ok, perfect vision:

If Windows 10 had two modes Tablet mode and Non-Tablet mode:
Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen/No Start Menu, Live Tiles Full, Charms Bar, all apps full screen, no Desktop mode, etc….
Non-Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 7 SP1, Start Menu, no live tiles, no Charms Bar, Desktop mode, no full screen apps all Windowed…

Now here's where the perfect part comes in, all settings configurable, so someone can create a hybrid Tablet mode, which does what they want it to do, maybe a start menu in tablet mode, maybe live tiles in Non-Tablet mode…

Why can't we have x86 apps emulated on the Phones, Tablets, etc.. virtualization is all around us...

Why can't we have a small Phone when connected to a big screen TV, run a full Desktop?

It is not like the Phones of today are not powerful enough, they run circles around my Commodore 64...

What we have now (yes it is preview), is nothing like this, the new Start Menu, is ruff, not usable, I do not want my apps in the Start Menu in an ABC order, who thought that up, how about folders, preview/recent list, come on… This is not where I thought they were going to go…

I have several Non-Tablets, and several 2-1 Tablets (Surfaces), I hope Microsoft does listen to insider feedback, as I have left a mouth full….

I do not know much about XBOX Music or Zune, but something needs to be done Windows Media Player in Windows 3.1 is better…

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is what I do not get, the Windows RT (Windows on Arm)?.
A lot of people say it can?t run Windows x86 apps, well it could if Microsoft built in an emulator (like the jail broken Win RT 8 with WINE).
A lot of people say the Desktop is dump, get rid of it?.
A lot of people say Touch is dumb I want the Start Menu and Desktop Mouse and Keyboard back?

Ok, perfect vision:

Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen/No Start Menu, Live Tiles Full, Charms Bar, all apps full screen, no Desktop mode, etc?.
Non-Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 7 SP1, Start Menu, no live tiles, no Charms Bar, Desktop mode, no full screen apps all Windowed?

Now here's where the perfect part comes in, all settings configurable, so someone can create a hybrid Tablet mode, which does what they want it to do, maybe a start menu in tablet mode, maybe live tiles in Non-Tablet mode?

Why can't we have x86 apps emulated on the Phones, Tablets, etc.. virtualization is all around us...

Why can't we have a small Phone when connected to a big screen TV, run a full Desktop?

It is not like the Phones of today are not powerful enough, they run circles around my Commodore 64...

What we have now (yes it is preview), is nothing like this, the new Start Menu, is ruff, not usable, I do not want my apps in the Start Menu in an ABC order, who thought that up, how about folders, preview/recent list, come on? This is not where I thought they were going to go?

I have several Non-Tablets, and several 2-1 Tablets (Surfaces), I hope Microsoft does listen to insider feedback, as I have left a mouth full?.

I do not know much about XBOX Music or Zune, but something needs to be done Windows Media Player in Windows 3.1 is better?

This is exactly how it should be, but the Start Button people will cry if it is even an option. Same as the non-RT people cry about RT. Neither will use it or have to use it, but will cry the blues until both are killed off even though it doesn't affect them at all.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is what I do not get, the Windows RT (Windows on Arm)?.
A lot of people say it can?t run Windows x86 apps, well it could if Microsoft built in an emulator (like the jail broken Win RT 8 with WINE).
A lot of people say the Desktop is dump, get rid of it?.
A lot of people say Touch is dumb I want the Start Menu and Desktop Mouse and Keyboard back?

Ok, perfect vision:

Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen/No Start Menu, Live Tiles Full, Charms Bar, all apps full screen, no Desktop mode, etc?.
Non-Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 7 SP1, Start Menu, no live tiles, no Charms Bar, Desktop mode, no full screen apps all Windowed?

Now here's where the perfect part comes in, all settings configurable, so someone can create a hybrid Tablet mode, which does what they want it to do, maybe a start menu in tablet mode, maybe live tiles in Non-Tablet mode?

What we have now (yes it is preview), is nothing like this, the new Start Menu, is ruff, not usable, I do not want my apps in the Start Menu in an ABC order, who thought that up, how about folders, preview/recent list, come on? This is not where I thought they were going to go?

I have several Non-Tablets, and several 2-1 Tablets (Surfaces), I hope Microsoft does listen to insider feedback, as I have left a mouth full?.

I do not know much about XBOX Music or Zune, but something needs to be done Windows Media Player in Windows 3.1 is better?

That sounds far too complicated and there's way too much going on. That's not what most consumers want. They don't want to d!ck around with their machine. They just want it to work. And Windows 10 addresses that while still making folks happy.

I think it's fair to say that we will see even more development on the touch side of things.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
That sounds far too complicated and there's way too much going on. That's not what most consumers want. They don't want to d!ck around with their machine. They just want it to work. And Windows 10 addresses that while still making folks happy.

I think it's fair to say that we will see even more development on the touch side of things.
it's not that complicated and it could definitely work. Tablets will get tablet mode by default, desktops will get desktop mode. All configurable for power users who want more, but the defaults should be good for the rest.

hairymick

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
All I want to know is windows 10 for tablets going to support installing to sd cards for Windows apps, as this will make alot of people a lot happier with buying low end devices??

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
All I want to know is windows 10 for tablets going to support installing to sd cards for Windows apps, as this will make alot of people a lot happier with buying low end devices??

The problem with that, is developers, licenses, and install routine...

Microsoft still uses an install method, what happens when you click an app when the SD card is not present, or how do you validate the source of the SD card has not been tampered with. If I took your sd card and put it in my device, would that app work?, what if someone takes the install source, and modifies it then publishes their own app.

Developers want to make sure their work get paid for, Android give you apps in a package APK, webOS are packaged in a IPK, Apple iOS apps are packaged in a ipa file. Microsoft does their packaging different...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The problem with that, is developers, licenses, and install routine...

Microsoft still uses an install method, what happens when you click an app when the SD card is not present, or how do you validate the source of the SD card has not been tampered with. If I took your sd card and put it in my device, would that app work?, what if someone takes the install source, and modifies it then publishes their own app.

Developers want to make sure their work get paid for, Android give you apps in a package APK, webOS are packaged in a IPK, Apple iOS apps are packaged in a ipa file. Microsoft does their packaging different...

Thing is, it's already possible to do this on Windows Phone, since 8.1. Many of Windows Phone features are being brought into Windows 10, so I really don't see where this is going to be a problem.

hairymick

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm talking about tablets, apps from the Windows store only save to the devices hardrive so you run out of space pretty fast. You can't save apps from the Windows store to SD card or external hardrive. WP on the other hand is all good to do that.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I hate to tell you guys, but Windows 10 is not tablet friendly. It is just a frankienstined desktop, and desktops have never done well on real tablets.

Ah yes, lets just assume that the pre-beta OS your testing is the same experience your gonna have when it RTM's SIX BLOODY MONTHS from now, its totally a finished product and Microsoft is just holding the release for 6 months because they like to make people wait.

At this point, I hope Microsoft doesn't do a preview program like this again, I'm tired of all the morons that use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos