Where does W10 leave Windows RT tablets?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
As someone who's never used Zune, why do people like Zune over Xbox Music so much? I'm honestly really interested...what are the differences?

Zune was just a really well thought out and very polished experience, it's hard to explain its appeal, the best way to understand is to jsut use the software yourself for a while.

that said, xbm is catching up, but it still has a while to go, and honestly, I don't understand exactly why zune had to be abandoned, even the name, zune just sounds so much better than xbox music..

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Zune was just a really well thought out and very polished experience, it's hard to explain its appeal, the best way to understand is to jsut use the software yourself for a while.

that said, xbm is catching up, but it still has a while to go, and honestly, I don't understand exactly why zune had to be abandoned, even the name, zune just sounds so much better than xbox music..

Xbox Music is so far behind. You still can't make any type of edit if it reads your library wrong. What it reads is what you get. No smart playlists. No syncing. No adding your own TV Shows and Movies (for that we have the even worse Xbox Video and that places all of those mentioned in a pile called 'personal'). No wireless syncing. Better looking. Faster working..... And on and on.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Great....no it says that it cant find half my music....nothing has been moved. If they don't bring Zune back, I'm going to puke. The only people who complained about Zune are Apple people just taking diggs at something they never used. The people that used it, raved about it. It was missing a few things, but the way it was being updated, would have been a beast in one more update.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Completely agreed, not even just for the software, the ZuneHD was a phenominal piece of hardware, very well built, and it had a very nice (and was also the groundwork for the) metro UI, both the device and PC software were really great in function and looks, but as mentioned above, all the apple fags called it crap, and all the sheeple believed them (god forbid the apple fanbase let their platform get competition.. that couldn't possibly benefit them in anyway right?) and resulted in the Zune not only failing as a whole, but tarnished the entire brand name, which is what lead microsoft to feel they needed to use a pre-established and successful brand name for their next attempt at a music player

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok here is what I do not get, the Windows RT (Windows on Arm)?.
A lot of people say it can?t run Windows x86 apps, well it could if Microsoft built in an emulator (like the jail broken Win RT 8 with WINE).
A lot of people say the Desktop is dump, get rid of it?.
A lot of people say Touch is dumb I want the Start Menu and Desktop Mouse and Keyboard back?

Ok, perfect vision:

If Windows 10 had two modes Tablet mode and Non-Tablet mode:
Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen/No Start Menu, Live Tiles Full, Charms Bar, all apps full screen, no Desktop mode, etc?.
Non-Tablet mode, acted just like Windows 7 SP1, Start Menu, no live tiles, no Charms Bar, Desktop mode, no full screen apps all Windowed?

Unfortunately, the Desktop needs desktop users to use apps in order for the Windows Store to grow ---- making apps function a little more like desktop applications will have with that. And as for the Windows 8 tablet UI, sure it's fine and dandy when you figure it all out, but that was also something working against a Windows tablet in the consumer space. The UI is one giant guessing game to the average user and they end up never learning the full capabilities of the OS. So Windows 10 killing off the charms menu and including ore "visible" UI hints, menu icons, etch. will be beneficial.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the Desktop needs desktop users to use apps in order for the Windows Store to grow ---- making apps function a little more like desktop applications will have with that. And as for the Windows 8 tablet UI, sure it's fine and dandy when you figure it all out, but that was also something working against a Windows tablet in the consumer space. The UI is one giant guessing game to the average user and they end up never learning the full capabilities of the OS. So Windows 10 killing off the charms menu and including ore "visible" UI hints, menu icons, etch. will be beneficial.

If figuring out the UI is to complicated for some people, they should take their steak knives away... I'd hate to see what would happen there if they had a lapse of memory.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If figuring out the UI is to complicated for some people, they should take their steak knives away... I'd hate to see what would happen there if they had a lapse of memory.

Be honest with yourself & realize every one isn't a "techie". The Windows 8 UI was far from being straight forward. Everything was hidden and the swiping gestures didn't have any "indicators" or icons hinting towards the menu, charms, closing an app, bringing in additional "app" menus, navigating through random apps. Even power users probably discovered certain navigational features of Windows 8 by reading it on-line. They went overboard with the swipe gesture concept.

I'm fine with the UI on my Surface RT, but I realize it was a terrible UI for the masses. My girlfriend (who I'd say has a little more than "average PC" knowledge) has had a Surface 2 for about a year now and there still little things I have to help her with.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Be honest with yourself & realize every one isn't a "techie". The Windows 8 UI was far from being straight forward. Everything was hidden and the swiping gestures didn't have any "indicators" or icons hinting towards the menu, charms, closing an app, bringing in additional "app" menus, navigating through random apps. Even power users probably discovered certain navigational features of Windows 8 by reading it on-line. They went overboard with the swipe gesture concept.

I'm fine with the UI on my Surface RT, but I realize it was a terrible UI for the masses. My girlfriend (who I'd say has a little more than "average PC" knowledge) has had a Surface 2 for about a year now and there still little things I have to help her with.

My 72 year old father pretty much had it down in 1 day. Some people are always going to resist or just be to dense.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My 72 year old father pretty much had it down in 1 day. Some people are always going to resist or just be to dense.

That's the thing, not all people are resisting. But I suppose you don't quite get what the word "intuitive" means. I've come across MULTIPLE people in stores returning Windows 8 devices because they couldn't figure it out. Nothing is wrong with change....when it makes sense.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes, lets just assume that the pre-beta OS your testing is the same experience your gonna have when it RTM's SIX BLOODY MONTHS from now, its totally a finished product and Microsoft is just holding the release for 6 months because they like to make people wait.

At this point, I hope Microsoft doesn't do a preview program like this again, I'm tired of all the morons that use it.
I remember saying this about the Xbox Music app. Boy was I wrong

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Zune was considered by quite a few to be a disaster. I for one don't want Zune.

If they have 100,000 people saying, "We want Zune back! Dump Xbox music and video!", but they have 10,000,000 people saying, "Don't bring back Zune, we want Xbox!", what are you going to get? I'm not saying this is what has happened, but it's worth thinking about at least.
The Zune device was considered a flop but the software was universally revered. As for XBox music I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they want it over Zune. The best I've heard is people becoming content with it and the fact that this is the direction MS is going and they're sticking to their guns.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The Zune device was considered a flop but the software was universally revered. As for XBox music I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they want it over Zune. The best I've heard is people becoming content with it and the fact that this is the direction MS is going and they're sticking to their guns.
Content wrong. Resigned yes.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, we've already learned that app was only a temporary, so it makes sense not a lot of resources were put into it, and also, whats wrong with it? its easily better than the original 8.0 app now..
Yeah I know. Whenever I plan to buy new clothes I too burn my old ones and wear rags till the new ones arrive.
Also, Stockholm syndrome is a thing :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

You just quoted me as saying it. When I say I don't want Zune back, I mean I'll take ANYTHING else. I prefer a simple app that only plays what I have already saved on my device. I honestly don't want the online features, searching features, music downloading features, etc. I just want an MP3 player for my local collection. Which is why I use SimPlay. Not to mention SimPlay gives me choice between portrait and landscape mode. That's the only thing XBox Music is missing at this point for my own needs... landscape orientation. But that's MY preferences, and perhaps not the same as very many.

Yeah, I do believe both apps will be replaced by the new music app in the Windows 10 TP. I'll find out as soon as Win10 for the phones is previewed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923