Windows 10 Mobile: One small step for Windows Phone, one giant step backwards in UI

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at screenshots of Windows 10 for mobile the more I wonder why I don't just get an Android device, since the UI is pretty much heading in that direction anyway. Since Microsoft has put more time and energy into making sure their own apps are updated faster and more often on iOS and Android anyway, the only real differentiator between a Windows Phone and everyone else was the camera and UI. Since its inception, the Windows Phone UI was based on spacing and typography. Little-to-no chrome.

With Windows 10 mobile all I've seen is a major step away from the UI elements that made Windows Phone so great. Look no further than the new email, messaging and photos app. As a longtime WP user this frustrates me. I was willing to constantly be left behind in apps and games because I liked the style of my OS. I'll wait until Windows Mobile 10 comes out to make a final judgement, but I can see myself leaving Windows Phone if they continue to choose not to differentiate themselves with the UI. I suppose the preview time is our platform to let Microsoft know that we don't like the direction they are taking WP with regards to the UI.

OutlookClient.png

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's what people kept wanting so that's what WP is getting. Everyone was on about looks more than actual ability.

Then again, as MS has moved into Android and iOS maybe they want a consistent look across all OS types. Which would make sense.

Either way it will be what it will be. Whether people want the new WP will be a question mark that can only be answered once it's released and on sale.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, the new mail app looks waaaaaaay better and seems to offer more functionality than any of its predecessors. Apps look similar everywhere anyways. Maybe because devs don't want to put additional effort in creating a new layout for each mobile OS, maybe for some other reasons. But with Microsoft ditching some of their older guidelines, they make it easier for users of competing OS'es to switch over to WP, since app navigation feels familiar. And not to forget that some changes have been made simply because other navigation solutions were working better than what WP offered.
But what you're talking here is apps, the OS UI itself hasn't changed a lot. It's still easy to recognize among everything else.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
While every mail app in the world offers more functionality than the one on WP, I disagree that the new one looks better. As the OP said, the only good thing about WP is its aesthetics, and those are being compromised.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'll just have to wait till I get my hands on WP10, then I'll know. Good thing we'll be getting previews and also have user voice sites, I hope we make good use of it if there're stuff we don't like.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't understand the hamburger menu. I'm holding my phone with my right hand and my thumb cannot easily reach either corner of the screen, particularly hard to reach the top left corner (without the palm of my hand getting close enough to the bottom right to screw up what I'm trying to do). Hey, you know those handy menus and buttons on the bottom? Yeah let's move them so they're always inconvenient to access.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just looking at the two photos above, I actually like the nice new clean look of the mail app in Windows 10 mobile, but do not care for the hard to reach menu or navigation at the top. That said I really didn't care for the menu bar taking up space the way it is now and wish it could be hidden more.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I just can't get the idea, phones are different, they can't use the same PC UI, I know the one experience BS, we want WP elements with the new features, bring the buttons as is to the bottom, remove the stupid hamburger and give is the lovely three dots.
My opinion, sorry for bad English+ bad words, just I can't believe that WP will look like Android

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
The best is the old UI, if given the choice I will choose the old ui which makes my life easier when using one hand. This hamburger thing is a cause for concern. It's best for bigger gadget where one uses both hands or mouse.

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
@FAHMI BASSEM I think screenshots are plenty to get started on when talking about just UI. I said nothing in my post about usability or anything else. We are simply discussing style. Besides, I did say "I'll wait until Windows Mobile 10 comes out to make a final judgement..."

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
@FAHMI BASSEM I think screenshots are plenty to get started on when talking about just UI. I said nothing in my post about usability or anything else. We are simply discussing style. Besides, I did say "I'll wait until Windows Mobile 10 comes out to make a final judgement..."
Yes I do know, but since Windows phone 8.1, MS started killing some elements, photos app for example, we had a unique experience with exclusive UI for it, now it looks like Droid or iPhone. +I think the screenshots are enough to give some judgments, hamburger is not acceptable.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I think strategically for Microsoft is important to make WP10 as similar as possible to Android, because there is a good possibility that universal apps won't help much to solve the app gap. In that scenario, adding support for Android apps is the only way forward. But, Android apps won't run as well in WP as they do in Android, so, the next logical step would be to adopt Cyanogen and port the Start screen, Universal apps, Cortana and all the other exclusive features of WP to the Android fork.

Plan B is Android, Microsoft has to be ready.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I think strategically for Microsoft is important to make WP10 as similar as possible to Android, because there is a good possibility that universal apps won't help much to solve the app gap. In that scenario, adding support to Android apps is the only way forward. But, Android apps won't run as well in WP as they do in Android, so, the next logical step would be adopt Cyanogen and port the Start screen, Universal apps, Cortana and all the other exclusive features of WP to the Android fork.

Plan B is Android, Microsoft has to be ready.

This would be literally the dumbest move in the world. Why the hell did they create the ability to run the same OS across any size device.

The hell is wrong with you people. Stop doubting the platform and start praising it, to me its the best one out of the top 3 (4 if you count BB) and talking about using android or becoming like android or running anything android is border line mental (in my opinion). What is the point for MS on creating a fork when you can just go buy an android phone, there is no point, no advantage, no monetary incentive to do this. In fact it would be cheaper and more effective to just drop mobile completely at that point and develop apps for the other platform and leave you to a duopoly you all seem to want so bad...

/rant

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
omg, stop the nonsense... so what if there is the hamburger menu? i see a LOT more functions in the mail app, and that's great!
it's not a change of the UI but the developement. while the 8.1 mail app looks very simple, it lacks a LOT of functions (and more people miss functions more than they dislike the new design)

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
giant step backwards. phaw. whatever. The 10 UI looks so much better. All they need to do is make the header text a bit larger, and move the options bar to the bottom instead of the top.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
What is the point for MS on creating a fork when you can just go buy an android phone, there is no point, no advantage, no monetary incentive to do this.

Microsoft doesn't need to create a fork, the fork is ready to use. Microsoft has to create value on top of the fork.

What could Microsoft offer on top of Android? Security, support for enterprise use, integration with services like Cortana, the best camera, live tiles, Universal apps for enterprise development, anything that could differentiate them.

With WP any innovation is wasted because the platform is not competitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99