What if universal apps on Windows 10 stopped developers from making apps?!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
You make only one app and if you want works for pc, wp, tablet and xbox one. Only thing you have to do is design it once and optimize it for all screen sizes. Actually I believe it will boost the app market

I don't think you even need to redesign for Phone, Pc, Xbox etc. That's why the slamming of hamburger on every app of Windows 10 for phones.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is how universal apps works on Windows Phone 8.1, but we are talking about Windows 10 universal apps.

I would be very surprised if universal apps for W10 worked differently than for W8.1, if only to allow the separation of resources between the two versions... though there are other viable reasons to have separate versions of the app for PC and phone such as features that only make sense to have on the phone or PC.

Granted with W10 I also think it will be very viable, depending on your app, to just use the shared project for all your code, views, etc... as the runtime will now be 100% compatible between all devices and the controls naturally do a pretty good job of fitting and resizing to whatever screen size you're using. In this case the different projects would be pretty much for targeting, though I guess Microsoft could just force the creation of all versions when you build from a single project.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I would be very surprised if universal apps for W10 worked differently than for W8.1, if only to allow the separation of resources between the two versions... though there are other viable reasons to have separate versions of the app for PC and phone such as features that only make sense to have on the phone or PC.

Granted with W10 I also think it will be very viable, depending on your app, to just use the shared project for all your code, views, etc... as the runtime will now be 100% compatible between all devices and the controls naturally do a pretty good job of fitting and resizing to whatever screen size you're using. In this case the different projects would be pretty much for targeting, though I guess Microsoft could just force the creation of all versions when you build from a single project.

They talked about it, same code, only UI resources will be separated.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I would be very surprised if universal apps for W10 worked differently than for W8.1

The difference is going to be the unified store. One store, all Windows 10 apps.

The appeal for the developers to create universal apps is going to be that the app that they once developed for the limited (3%?) Windows Phone market, is now going to extend into the massive Windows PC install base. Keep in mind that Windows 10 is going to be free for the first year for all Windows 7 and 8.1 users.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What if they didn't?
Then things will be perfect but lets be honest that may not happen. W8 was made to attract developers,it wasn't made not to. How about w8.1 that also was redesigned to attract developers but barely did. there was nothing about ms past vision that included not attracting devs.....but were stuck at 3%. So now we have w10 let me guess its supposed to attract devs right? Just like w8 and w8.1 was right?
This ones "better". many were here singing the same tune when w8 was introduced too. I guess its how it is . If w10 doesn't work out its ok...." W11 will save WP"......no no 12 will be the one devs will run to ...smh

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Biggest thing Microsoft needs is support from the OEMs (Samsung, HTC, LG...) If not they need to release more phones and no exclusive phones.

I really don't think additional phones from other OEM's will do any good for Windows phones, it'll only create more fragmentation. HTC and Samsung have no reason to show any interest in Windows phones at this point --- and I don't blame them. The only thing that will help is better software, at the OS level and app level.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think additional phones from other OEM's will do any good for Windows phones, it'll only create more fragmentation. HTC and Samsung have no reason to show any interest in Windows phones at this point --- and I don't blame them. The only thing that will help is better software, at the OS level and app level.

Fragmentation with what? Like on PCs where Windows dominates? It's hard to gain big market share without the OEMs. You need to have devices out there for people to buy from low end to high end on every carrier.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Fragmentation with what? Like on PCs where Windows dominates? It's hard to gain big market share without the OEMs. You need to have devices out there for people to buy from low end to high end on every carrier.

Fragmentation as in some phones not ever getting updates (See: Lumia 810, HTC 8S) --- due to OEM's not supporting updates, carriers not supporting and/or blocking updates.

More phones existing isn't going to persuade anyone to buy a Windows phone, it's just a terrible investment for other OEM's. Microsoft (Nokia) provides the best WP experience IMO anyway. HTC & Samsung only gives us Galaxy & HTC One versions...which no one who isn't already using Windows Phone is asking or looking for.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I agree with TheCudder, at least as far as the US and Europe are concerned.

The only benefit would be if these OEMs financed their own world wide marketing campaigns, thereby helping to promote WP. They don't do that. In fact, more often then not, devices are developed only if MS agrees to pay for their marketing. IMHO those marketing dollars would be better spent promoting WP as an OS, rather than a particular OEM's device.

I don't know where the idea comes from that higher supply generates demand. No market has ever worked that way. WP doesn't need more supply. It needs more demand.

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
one point, regarding development, is clear. one core for the app, coded one single time, then, design customizations for each OS variation (+ MAYBE specific additions, like phone dialer for phone OS).
a second point is regarding deployment. i dont believe that every developer or studio will be amazed and app will start to "rain" in our stores. there will, almost surely, be 3 situations:
1st, developers who have their wp app and always wanted to build a windows app will be more encouraged now, so they will maybe build it. but here is also a catch. i think more apps will come from phone to desktop, bacause of the same os running on tablets.(maybe vice versa too, from desktops to phones, but still because of tablets)
2nd, one app may be mainly for phone or pc, so even the small, but still needed, tweaks to convert it to universal and deploy it on all stores will be too much of a resource consume,at least in a first w10 era, given the small possible users increase from the other os variation. here is also a catch too: some apps from this category will come universal over time. one day, after several updates, they will see their app so close to universal so that those customizations for mutiple store deploys would be insignificat so they wont see it a lose from a the resource consumed/new users aquired perspective. (also, in this category are the apps which will continue for a period to run multiple apps, each for their store, too)
3rd, some apps will never be available for every device, even after some big time when they will eventually already had enough updates to the code so they would be almost universal. some apps are for phones and some for pc, period. not all of the apps need to run on every single device. maybe tablets will do something on this category too, but still, there for sure will be one day when some app will be universal at their core but unpublished for every device type.

sorry vor typos and bad english :)

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Fragmentation as in some phones not ever getting updates (See: Lumia 810, HTC 8S) --- due to OEM's not supporting updates, carriers not supporting and/or blocking updates.

More phones existing isn't going to persuade anyone to buy a Windows phone, it's just a terrible investment for other OEM's. Microsoft (Nokia) provides the best WP experience IMO anyway. HTC & Samsung only gives us Galaxy & HTC One versions...which no one who isn't already using Windows Phone is asking or looking for.

Like I said they need support from the OEMs. Currently, the OEMs don't advertise Windows Phone, they only promote Android phones. That is the issue Microsoft has to fix. If no one is promoting Windows Phone then it won't grow in market share.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Like I said they need support from the OEMs. Currently, the OEMs don't advertise Windows Phone, they only promote Android phones. That is the issue Microsoft has to fix. If no one is promoting Windows Phone then it won't grow in market share.

Lumia Phones are the fore front devices for Windows Mobile.
Surface Pro is the fore front device for Windows
Xbox One is the fore front device for Windows Gaming Family.

Moving forward, I feel Lumia, Surface and Xbox running Windows 10 and future upgrades will hold the key for further success. This completes the One Windows Family.

As for the OEMs, they have been promoting android, and the right strategy would be to have Microsoft services on these OEM phones or devices.

So the strategy would be right to promote Microsoft devices for Phones, Computers/Tablet and Microsoft services on the OEMs.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

I find it amazing that you think the reason WP is stuck at 3% market because OEM's don't advertise it or market it. No marketing push, no matter how big is going to boost Windows phone market share until the app situation truly becomes less of an issue. Because as it s stands, it's still a significant one -- users aren't exactly looking forward to a lack luster Instagram BETA app, next to no mobile banking apps & a YouTube app called "myTube" or "MetroTube".

That being said, do you really expect Samsung and HTC to push WP at the moment? They're not going to invest big into a struggling OS that stands to do no real good for them. This is why they only ship WP on recycled hardware --- Galaxy S & One hardware. There is no money in WP because the software is holding it back. Microsoft has to figure out a way to fix that before it gets any hardware partner support. Do you really think Dell, HP & Lenovo would bother shipping & marketing multiple Windows based PC's if just 3% of the market was interested?

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Basically it comes down to Microsoft. We all should blame Microsoft for doing such a poor job on promoting Windows Phone and holding back the OS. Microsoft has to do whatever it takes for the OEMs to jump on board.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Basically it comes down to Microsoft. We all should blame Microsoft for doing such a poor job on promoting Windows Phone and holding back the OS. Microsoft has to do whatever it takes for the OEMs to jump on board.
There is only one thing MS can do. Achieve a larger market share. That must come first, then the OEMs will come too. The other way around will never work. If OEMs are motivated only by the opportunity to cache a check from MS, rather than by the opportunity to grab a larger chunk of the WP market, then they might as well not be participating in the WP ecosystem at all. It won't make a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss