W10 will force Google to rethink its approach towards MS

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
We all know how dismissive Google is towards MS' everything but specially W8/8.1 and WP and how they are dumping their products all over the place so people stop using MS' portfolio. Browsing the web I came up across a comment on an article on Pocketnow Apple knows how to sell tablets, and Microsoft is learning fast | Pocketnow that caught my attention and that I believe will test MS and Google relationship but specially how Google will look at W10.

Here is the quote:
"I think this is an interesting dynamic. Part of the problem is for folks that live in Google, there isn't a lot of app options available out of the store for Windows 8 right now. But hypothetically speaking, let's say there are 100 million Win10 users in the first 90 days (which I think being free is totally possible), what is Google going to do? Continue to dismiss the OS? They need to make their options better and easier on Windows. I think we can safely say consumers aren't going to migrate to Chromebooks en masse."​

I focused on the blue part of the quote because if this happen Google 'dominance' will suffer big time.
1 - What do you guys think?
2 - Now that MS will finally persuade Universal apps to the full. Can MS cite on the terms that all apps will transfer automatically to the other devices after 6 months after release on any of the Systems [PCs, tablets, Xbox or Phone]? Or It will be better let it to the developers?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
1 Not sure if they can force Google but how knows.
2 Not all apps will be universal because for example a camera app is dedicated for a phone so "useless" on your pc.
But if an universal app is made it should be available for "all" devices at launch (or at least within a week or so)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If the adoption of W10 is as massive as MS hopes, Google won't have other choice than go where the users are. .

There are already 70 million plus Windows phone users. Not a small number. Google doesn't appear to care anything today.

Even on Windows with 100's of millions of devices they haven't created apps other than the search one. Very poor support. They care more about the platform failing than supporting customers. I don't see that changing overnight.

Southgarden116

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I also don't think Google will change its position suddenly. It will take some time until Windows 10 will get to the masses, at least a year or so, until we have a big number. Then we will see, if the phone numbers will go up too. 70 million is nothing compared to the other OSs. And I want to know how many of these phones are actively in use, and how many unique WP useres we have. So in the end of next year maybe Google will think of W10 apps. All in all, everything looks promising and good so far, but I'm still skeptical about the success and BIG turn.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
1 Not sure if they can force Google but how knows.
2 Not all apps will be universal because for example a camera app is dedicated for a phone so "useless" on your pc.
But if an universal app is made it should be available for "all" devices at launch (or at least within a week or so)

Cameras are quite common on tablets, convertibles, laptops, etc. Many desktops even have cams on them, and you'd be surprised how many people use some sort of camera app.

I actually use a mirror app on my laptop if I'm on a trip and need to groom and there are no mirrors available, which, is a "camera" utilization app.

Also, I know people with a web cam on their PC that use a camera app to take "selfies" with themselves and visiting friends.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Cameras are quite common on tablets, convertibles, laptops, etc. Many desktops even have cams on them, and you'd be surprised how many people use some sort of camera app.

I actually use a mirror app on my laptop if I'm on a trip and need to groom and there are no mirrors available, which, is a "camera" utilization app.

Also, I know people with a web cam on their PC that use a camera app to take "selfies" with themselves and visiting friends.

Kind of agree but I am not saying that you do not need a camera app on a PC. The 930 Lumia Camera can record 4K video and needs special firmware so I still think you don't need this for your PC (and it's a Lumia excusive app)
But maybe a better example is Gestures Beta. I did not see a PC yet with a SIM card and even if they have them I would not pick the PC up and put it against my ear. :wink:

Last edited:

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well I believe adoption will pick up fast. Many users didn't move to W8/8.1 because the new OS wasn't suitable for PCs and they felt MS abandoned them. W10 is fixing that and many of insiders are PC more than tablet users. W10 is bringing the best of W7 & W8/8.1 to the table and if you look around the only thing more exciting besides the Hololens is the free upgrade from W7/W8 to W10. I have 2 PCs, a laptop, SP1, HP table W8.1 and two WP in my house they all go W10 as soon the OS is ready. W7 critics [with reason] will finally get the OS they want. Plus SP4 is coming as well.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 will bring people to the Windows Store. Apps will be on start menu. Cortana is already right on the task bar. She searches for apps too and give them links to install apps. They should put link to app store everywhere in Windows 10 to bring more people to use apps. Store should not be unpinable in Start Menu. Google will have to make apps if there are too many users.

MACZXMONO

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Question: Does Microsoft have some insane rules, something for app devs that makes them not want to create apps for wp(Microsoft owning the app)?? No snap chat ETC.. Which I don't use anyway tho.. Or are android/apple devs paid off? :p

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Question: Does Microsoft have some insane rules, something for app devs that makes them not want to create apps for wp(Microsoft owning the app)?? No snap chat ETC.. Which I don't use anyway tho.. Or are android/apple devs paid off? :p

Dev tools for Windows Store Apps are, apparently, still not up to par with Android and iOS. There's also the market share issue (which leads to higher potential revenue), and WinRT limitations.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I do not see Google creating universal apps for Windows. They'll have the x86 stuff that they do now, but they're probably not interested in Microsoft's 'write once, run everywhere' mantra. Why would you guys care about Google apps and services anyways? Google sucks, remember? I hear it a hundred times a day here, in practically every article or discussion. A person can't even mention they use Chrome on their PC without getting downvoted to hell.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Google will change its stance towards Microsoft at all. Even if billions of copies of Windows 10 are sold. Google can keep it the way they're doing now. "If you're using Windows, you can always use your browser to use our services. If you want apps, get an Android device."

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Google will change its stance towards Microsoft at all. Even if billions of copies of Windows 10 are sold. Google can keep it the way they're doing now. "If you're using Windows, you can always use your browser to use our services. If you want apps, get an Android device."

That attitude can be really dangerous for Google. And i don't believe Google will ignore more than 100/200 million users just because they hate MS. Xbox has a YouTube app, why? Because, Google main business are ads. And judging by the good reviews of W10 and the one code [universal app] I believe WP adoption will be really good.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That attitude can be really dangerous for Google. And i don't believe Google will ignore more than 100/200 million users just because they hate MS. Xbox has a YouTube app, why? Because, Google main business are ads. And judging by the good reviews of W10 and the one code [universal app] I believe WP adoption will be really good.

Consoles are a different topic. Google doesn't have any product to compete there. Nevertheless, Google will sooner or later have to rethink their strategy, but the whether or not they will change their stance is yet in the dark. Like I said, Windows users can just use the browser like they always did.

MACZXMONO

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
What am I really missing out on with my 32bit Lumia 930?(SD800) Was this a bad buy and should I sell it an wait for a 64bit windows phone?? Suggestions would be great guys! ;)

Edit: Like if google or anyone else just made 64bit apps those would just be invisible in the app store right?

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I believe adoption will pick up fast. Many users didn't move to W8/8.1 because the new OS wasn't suitable for PCs and they felt MS abandoned them. W10 is fixing that and many of insiders are PC more than tablet users. W10 is bringing the best of W7 & W8/8.1 to the table and if you look around the only thing more exciting besides the Hololens is the free upgrade from W7/W8 to W10. I have 2 PCs, a laptop, SP1, HP table W8.1 and two WP in my house they all go W10 as soon the OS is ready. W7 critics [with reason] will finally get the OS they want. Plus SP4 is coming as well.

Speaking of Google and the HoloLens, it would be a smart idea for Google to jump on board and get Google Earth and Street View on the HoloLens..... People would suck that up.

But in reality they won't because then that just adds to the woes for their own VR thingy.... What's it called again... Google Goggles?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If the adoption of W10 is as massive as MS hopes, Google won't have other choice than go where the users are. .

Development of consumer apps in Desktop PCs has been dead since 10 years ago. The web browser is the platform in the PC, and Google already dominates with their services. They don't need apps, in fact Chrome OS is just a web browser.

If Microsoft sells 100 million Windows 10 devices that are used primarily as tablets, that would make a difference, but It's highly unlikely. Surface 3 must be the bestseller Windows "tablet" but It's more commonly used as a laptop.
Windows 10 is a Desktop OS adapted for the tablet form factor. Windows 8 was a tablet OS adapted for the Desktop and It failed, because nobody wants a Windows tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6