W10 will force Google to rethink its approach towards MS

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, so far we've seen nothing but screenshots. Even when the preview is released, it won't be what it WILL be later. The real game changing stuff is "write once, compile for anywhere" type of strategy, though.

U can have universal apps now (phone and Windows. That's not game changing for 10.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is working on a SDK for it that will allow writing once, and compiling to all three, which will make porting between platforms a cinch. That will attract developers like fleas to a dog. Once they start writing their iOS and Android apps, and discover how easy it is to press a button and make one for WP, Windows Tablets, Windows PCs, XBox One, Surface Hub, and HoloLens, a great number of develpers will begin to do so.
It definitely won't be as simple as "press a button and out pops Android/iOS/WinRT apps". You can't even do that now on WinRT/WinPRT for 8.1 (the so-called "Universal apps"). Just selecting a filename is drastically different and has app-wide ramifications due to the stupid "AndContinue" requirement for WinPRT81. You can imagine the problems with cross-platform work:

1) There's the problem of the idiotic Async functionality in the core of both WinRT flavors. If you read Petzold's book for Xamarin you'll have notice how the idiotic Async functionality in WinRT metastasizes throughout his attempt to write once-run anywhere framework for Android/iOS/WinRT.

2) No OpenGL ES support in WinRT/WinPRT. That kills games right there unless software library providers start including a D3D abstraction layer in their unified engines.

3) VS2015 currently only supports NDK/C++ on Android. There's lots of talk but little action from MSFT on the cross-platform development in VS2015.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
You've obviously never seen and used any dev tools at all. Wow.

Definitely not true about the dev tools. Visual Studio 2012+ is *far* superior to the iOS and Android tools.

It's all about marketshare.
Well, for one, I did say "apparently". That's just what other developers have been saying. Hence, the "apparently". I've used Eclipse (for Android app dev), VS, as well as Android Studio a bit, (and others, but I'll focus on these) and from my own experience, they are all just fine. Each has its purpose, so comparing them and saying one is "superior" than the other is ridiculous.

Also, I think it's worth noting that although I said "dev tools", I'm including SDKs/APIs and their various features in that as well. For instance, there are things you can do in Silverlight apps that cannot be done otherwise. WinPRT (and WinRT) are not up to par with Silverlight, let alone iOS and Android. Their respective SDKs and APIs are simply better than WinRT at this point. There is no disputing that. Let's leave the fanboyism away from this discussion.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting points of views here. I offer my $0.02:

Since their Glass has failed and Hololens is in the horizon, would Google want to do something with that? I mean, Google Earth on the Hololens could have a lot of potential as well as their StreetView. It would be nice to have those Gassholes on board, but part of me would like to see them miss the boat if MS products really take off with W10.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just my $0.02.

I don't think MS wants Google Services on their platforms. People will default to MS services - like OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook mail, Bing, Bing maps etc.

I don't think Google will change course much because of Windows10 - because they dominate the phone market. When WP gets more than 20% of market share, they might care.

Mr. V

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
That Google have largely ignored Windows Phone since its birth is one thing but I do think it's confusing things to suggest that they have ignored Windows 8/8.1 or any other desktop Windows OS previous to it. We need to separate the two positions.

On Windows Phone, the primary input is touch. Therefore, in order to best experience Google's services on WP and take advantage of the features of Windows Phone OS, a native app is more or less essential and Google is ignoring that right now. On Windows desktop, the primary input is a mouse and keyboard and there are enough choices in web browsers to get the best of all of Google's services without the need for a separate metro app. Yes, the growing use of touch-enabled Windows devices might be somewhat enhanced with a native Google app but it's not essential or necessary IMHO. Just look at Google's Chromebooks, the browser is the platform.

hyperthermia

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i think google can create apps for win 10 for laptop and tablets then can opt to not create one for the phone component. i know its suppose to be universal but i think they just share the same code and additional work should be done for each screen. if google would go this way , then that would be a very clever and evil way to counter Microsoft's universal apps.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That attitude can be really dangerous for Google. And i don't believe Google will ignore more than 100/200 million users just because they hate MS. Xbox has a YouTube app, why? Because, Google main business are ads. And judging by the good reviews of W10 and the one code [universal app] I believe WP adoption will be really good.

Win8 has 100's of millions of users and Google is writing nothing for them. They will continue to ignore Win10 for some time.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Vimeo is more about artistical stuff.. Not comparable to YouTube unfortunately. And even if Microsoft acquired it, still wouldn't change a thing about content. YouTube is flipping gigantic. It's literally everywhere.

That's very true. I personally feel it is near pointless to combat YouTube, as it is pretty much a gigantic monopoly at this point (however this can also be its weakness)
If Microsoft wants to start somewhere, they can buyout Zippcast, which could court alot of Youtube users who are fed up with Google's strong influence on YouTube in the past years. It could take a while to catch on versus a competitor so big, but look how far Bing has come.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Win8 has 100's of millions of users and Google is writing nothing for them. They will continue to ignore Win10 for some time.

Someone already explained this. When MS talks about U-Apps is not the consumer side of the equation, is the developer side. One code aka: Universal apps. As a right now devlps have to write different codes for tablets, PCs and phone.

3acres

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I read that page, the part where it said you may have to tweak your code in the areas where C# functionality is different gives me an uneasy feeling. Although I am no ace in the area of porting code automatically from one language to another, I rather not do it. I think my post has valid concerns from a dev standpoint, because there needs to be more documentation and examples no matter what the language.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Jorge Holguin, do you work for Microsoft?

That would be an ideal job. I'm just a normal fellow that likes tech and likes MS and want to see it trill. I've used MS, Apple and Google products and BB and when competition is healthy just one group benefit: Us consumers. Btw I always pull for the underdog. Like in the 90s love the bulls but always wanted Detroit or the Jazz to beat them I don't like when a comp becomes to powerful.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't think so.

Google wants to increase Chromebook sales and prevent WP from growing. Releasing Google apps on Windows store is like taking a step backwards.

What I'm hoping for is that MS and Google reach an agreement, MS drops all the lawsuits/patent fees and in return Google builds apps for Windows Store. a.k.a my wishful thinking.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Google today is like the MS of the 90s - predatory, anti-competitive, monopolistic. It will devour smaller companies either to adopt and adapt their technologies or to stop those technologies spreading to other platforms. It will manipulate the market, and do anything necessary to have its services / products - even when clearly inferior to rivals - adopted by as wide an audience as possible.

I left MSFT in the 90s when it behaved like this, and I have left Google behind now (as far as possible; just trying to get rid of gmail accounts...)

Now MSFT is now less evil than Google or Apple, so I will once again support it. And, just as MSFT made office available on the Mac, if Google should begin sharing with MSFT, I will use its services, but I'm not going to kick up a fuss if they never arrive.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What I'm hoping for is that MS and Google reach an agreement, MS drops all the lawsuits/patent fees and in return Google builds apps for Windows Store. a.k.a my wishful thinking.

And what I'm hoping for is that Google Apps will fade into obscurity with the bankruptcy of Google, and Developers will be writing apps for WP because WP is the #1 selling smartphone in the world. Yeah, that's my wishful thinking. I think I better stick to my wish for free coffee. Wait, that one worked! I just saw an ad that the local Chick-fil-A restaurant is offering free coffee, no purchase required, during the entire month of February! Dude! Free coffee is the only thing better than Win10 for phones! (Yeah, I'm a coffeeholic.)

Google today is like the MS of the 90s - predatory, anti-competitive, monopolistic. It will devour smaller companies either to adopt and adapt their technologies or to stop those technologies spreading to other platforms. It will manipulate the market, and do anything necessary to have its services / products - even when clearly inferior to rivals - adopted by as wide an audience as possible.

Yes, I remember those days. The reason Microsoft stopped acting that way was because of several things that acted together in concert. Microsoft got sued by the US Federal Government. They were getting sued by smaller companies. They got tired of all the payouts on the few losses they had and the continuing court costs defending themselves. Now the court costs they have is because they are suing others. Also, change in leadership, which means the new guy wanted to change how Microsoft operated. Current leadership wants to take that further, undo the damage of the 90s, and get people to love the company again.

Google and Apple both still act like the Microsoft of the 90s. They get caught, get their wrist slapped, and they just keep at it, trying harder to not get caught the next time.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I do not believe Google's cash-cow search will keep its dominance 5 yrs from now.
That is why the are throwing money all over the place to see if something stick, so far nothing have and I believe nothing will. They just going to keep buying their way to stay relevant. Search will change in a way that will force Google to make more 'friends.' Bing is growing so is Yahoo, Ask, AOL, Duck, and so on Top 15 Most Popular Search Engines | February 2015. And if my memory doesn't betrayed me I believe Apple is working on a search engine as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos