Why is my PowerDesk Pro 9 getting an error message when I try to run Windows 10 Build?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I installed Powerdesk Pro 9 (from Avanquest) on Lenovo Thinkpad X61s with Windows 10 build 9926. Install went OK -- but when I try to run it, I get "PowerDesk Pro has stopped working" and button "Close Program".
PowerDesk Pro 5 (about 12 years old) runs OK in Windows 10 build 9926 ...
Anybody else using PD Pro 9 ???
-- Fred

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: PowerDesk Pro 9 not working

Right click and in the properties box set it up to "Run as admin" and run in compatibility mode for last known good use... I assume it worked on 8???

Rick75230

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I just did an upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 RTM with PowerDesk Pro 8.5. I'm getting the same crashes even setting Compatibility Mode to Win 8, Win 7 or Vista Service Pack 2.

I note on the Avanquest website that it shows PDP 9 as compatible with XP, Vista and Win 7. Apparently there is some incompatibility between Win 10 and PDP 8.5 or 9.

I just uninstalled 8.5 and reinstalled PDP 7. Although I got a bunch of error messages late in the install and had to reboot, 7.0 does work without needing any special compatibility or administrator settings.

Last edited:

Rick75230

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I emailed Vcom technical support and this is their reply:

Thank you for contacting VCOM Technical Support.
I am sorry to report Power Desk 9 will not run under Windows 10. At this time I have not heard of any plans for a Windows 10 compatible version. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

tim3255

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I can also confirm that Power Desk 9 will not work in Win 10, regardless of
the compatibility mode chosen. Thankfully, pack rat that I am, I still have a
copy of Power Desk 7 which seems to be 100% compatible.

Tim

wrporter

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Do not remove PowerDesk Pro 9 from Windows 10. The tools from the program still work with Windows Explorer. Right click still contains PowerDesk options. Great way to copy and move files and to quick edit MP3 music tags.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I have just upgraded form win 7 to win 10.
Have been using PD since version 1‼ upgrading when PD crushes under the latest Windows.
Avanquest's attitude to its customers is abominable. Of course they are just distributors of PD, not the developers.
They do not seem to understand the implications of their attitude. We have all paid for our program and want to continue using it even, when MS changes its OS. There are a large number of alternatives to PD, but I found none with a Launch-bar, to chose with which application to open a file. The context-menus for rightclick are system-wide, independent of which alternative program you use.
It would be easier for Avanquest to repair PD 8.5 and 9than to suggest useless procedures for all their customers.
Even creating a win10 compatible upgrade PD10 which they would sell at relative low costs (10$?) to existing customers would be acceptable. It would save their image. Think of the scandal, when one buys PD9 and find that it is not compatible with win10. it could even ruin Avanquest.:devil:

dslrguy

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Avanquest needs to get this fixed!
I can verify that PDP 9 does not work on Win 10. I get a ton of emails from Avanquest about new products. Why would I buy any of them if they don't support their products?

Victor Pelletier1

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I've been using various Powerdesks for decades. I just upgraded to Win 10 Pro, and now PD 9 isn't working and I have PD 9 setup as the default. I can't get into PD 9.0 to change the setting so every time I click on a shortcut to a file, I go straight to PD9 and it crashes. How can I prevent PD 9 from taking over if I can't get into PD 9 to change the setting?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian Brown10

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
My PowerDesk 9 pro is also not working in win 10. I sent numerous messages to avanquest, but got nothing back.
The messages on this forum were my only info that this was a problem among others as well. I also have PD 8.5 pro. Same deal there.
I noticed that some people were going back to PD 7. That is fine if you have a trusted copy.
The PD 7 that is floating around -online is a major virus trap!

** I hope people read this. BEWARE on trying to download PD 7 on a public site to replace PD 8.5 or 9!
I downloaded an online copy of PD 7. My Virus protection did not find anything wrong. My entire system got infected and I spent 5 days and 11 system restore tries to restore my hard drive. I actually had to get Special Disks from HP to fix this. I almost threw away my computer. What a Mess!

For the time being, I am staying clear of PowerDesk Programs. I hope this helps people.

zipalot

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Uninstall PD9. and install PD 7. I can attest to the fact that PD8, PD8.5 and PD9 does not work on Win 10. I had a discussion with Vcom, the actual owners of PD and they said there were no plans to update PD9. They did however increase the number of Computers I could use PD7 on. I had a total of 7 licenses on versions 7-9 and they gave me enough licenses to use on all my win 10 pcs.

Rick75230

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
1) I've been checking this issue on other sites and different people are being told different things by VCom. Some are told no update is planned, some are told an update is in the works with no completion estimate, and some are told it's a Microsoft problem and VCom is waiting for Microsoft to issue a fix.

2) I see that Avanquest's website now says specifically that PDP 9 is Win 10 compatible. That's in the Buy Now ad, and it was added within the past few days.

3) Most of my PDP copies are 8.5 and there is no mention of an update for 8.5.

4) There is no trial download version of PDP9.

5) I haven't re-tried either 8.5 or 9 under Win 10. So I don't know if the new compatibility is because VCom has done an update or Microsoft did fix the problem.

6) I figured that if there is a new fixed version of PDP9, that it might be available from within PDP9 as an update. Running PDP9 under Win 7, I ran Check for Updates and got a message that I have the latest version and there are no updates available.

7) Regarding on-line versions of 7 having malware, I did find a download from Avanquest's FTP site with a promo with free product key from Avanquest available by email. I'm not going to give the URL here, but if you search diligently for "PowerDesk Pro 7" and UK you can find it. (I don't remember whether the double-quotes are needed.) Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found the link. Remember -- the download link has to be to Avanquest's FTP site and was offered through Avanquest UK. It's not a third-party "hot deals" or similar site. (What I have found over the years is that some companies offer "limited time" upgrade/discount/promo prices and later they remove the links from other pages on their site but they don't remove the actual page. If you can access the page directly, e.g., by hitting the proper search terms on a search engine, the page still works as to adding the item to the shopping cart, etc., completing the transaction, sending a working download link, etc. That seems to be the case with this promo.)

Rick75230

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I just tried installing PDP 8.0 and PDP 8.5. When you try to install 8.0 it won't install and will take you to a page at the Windows 10 site which says the program is not compatible and Windows prevented the installation to avoid possible damage to your computer.

8.5 will install but when you try to run it it will crash.

JerToo

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
For the guys who said Avanquest update Power Desk 9 to Windows 10 could someone post a link to the download page.

I bought a new copy because the old one wouldn't accept the new paid for key and it didn't work so I emailed Avanquest and they told me it would not work with Windows 10 (didn't even offer to refund my money. So I would appreciate a download URL for a version of PD9 that works.

EDIT: The link to the new version 9 that works with Windows 10 is: downloads dot vcom.com/ products/ downloads/ PowerDesk9_ setup_ signed dot exe (Replace the "dots" with periods and remove all the spaces and it should work.)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre