Siri v's Google Now v's Cortana

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Either poorly researched or just plain out of date. There was no mention of the "Hey Cortana" feature which is the equivalent of "Google Now", and this apparently missing feature helped to elevate Google's assistant over Microsoft's. Granted, there were other things that could be considered better with Google's implementation, but failing to include all of the features in the comparison makes the comparison somewhat meaningless.

Nice article that was not biased it would seem, but without all of the data, falls short of it's target.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The "Hey Cortana" function relies on his phone having been one of the models that has the Denim update AND the updated chippery of the phone. You can't really hold that against him.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I enjoyed reading it.

@speccy- I think OK Google is better than hey Cortana. Why?
Because unlike Cortana OK Google doesn't need SD800+ processor.
Ok google works can work on any device or on any processor.
I don't know exactly the reason why MS not able provide hey Cortana to every device but I'll be very interested to know how Google able to do it but MS can't.

Lumiaphone525

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Good explanation. Is there any much different between Cortana & Hey Cortana? So far that i know Hey Cortana can be activated without push the search button.

Google Now and Siri only has one version while Cortana got many version (Beta & Alpha). Even UK Beta doesnt seem functioning well as US Beta. How does this happen. :angry:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with Google's implementation being better, just that it's a little unfair to compare apples to oranges. There are literally millions of Android phones that don't have the latest software and/or support for Google Now... so to compare an Android phone with a feature that is also available on another platform but not use an equivalent phone and then report it as a missing feature is not quite right.

I liked the article and it didn't seem biased at all which is good, but as mentioned, it wasn't really a completely fair comparison.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" is the feature whereby the phone is always listening, so basically you say "hey cortana" and the phone wakes up and is then ready for you to speak your query without having to touch the handset at all. As far as I'm aware this feature is only available on fairly recent chips, though it may be available on others too. Only these recent chips have the low power mode necessary to listen without killing the battery. So, I may be wrong, but I think it's unlikely that "Google Now" can be enabled on any handset.

Just as a side note, Cortana works very well for me and is surprising good at correctly recognizing what I'm saying.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I regularly use both Cortana and Google Now, and I found the article to be quite accurate. GN is generally a bit faster, more accurate, and more comprehensive. However, it does lack a couple features of Cortana.

Google Now is also much better at prediction, giving you information when you need it. Flights and package tracking are very reliable, unlike Cortana.

Cortana and Siri gets big brownie points from me for their personality though. It's something I miss when using GN. It's not really useful as a tool, but it adds something to the experience. GN has a tiny bit of it, but nothing like Cortana or Siri. It makes the assistant seem more real.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb