W10M - New features listed (compared to WP8.1)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a list of features that are being changed or added in W10M.

The list is extended as members notice new features. If you notice mistakes or if you've discovered a new feature that isn't yet mentioned, don't hesitate to bring it to our attention. This first posts aggregates all the feedback provided up to post #201.

Start Screen and Personalization

• full screen background image with horizontal parallax affect
  • new slider to set the level of tile transparency
  • more accent color options

OS

• more quick toggle buttons in action center
  • press and hold a toggle to go to that feature's settings (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc)
  • settings are now organized into folders
  • display brightness slider rather than the previous low, mid and high settings.
  • notifications are actionable
  • notifications are synched across all devices linked to the same MS account (e.g. your W10 desktop will tell you that you missed a call on your W10M phone)
  • device encryption option under Settings > System
  • phone reminds users of their next calendar item during shutdown
  • taping and holding the windows button drops the UI down for better one-handed reachability
  • Texting from your PC through your phone on the same Microsoft Account.
  • Missed call notification to your PC (from Cortana on the phone straight to your desktop.)
  • Storing offline map data on the SD card is now officially supported by the OS!

Keyboard and text input

• Continuous dictation works anywhere you can type (also known as speech-to-text). It understands punctuation instructions and understands enough context to correctly differentiate between too, 2 and to.
  • detach keyboard (large screen phones only?)
  • MS' Word Flow (like Swype) now provides word suggestions while swiping, i.e. before the word is completed
  • fine cursor button / pointing stick on keyboard

New universal apps that run on both W10M and W10

• new Groove app (Music & Video player with MKV and FLAC support, MS Music Subscription client, better OneDrive integration for cloud streaming, gapless playback and much more)
  • new Calculator app with standard, scientific and programmer and unit conversion modes
  • new Outlook app (Combined e-mail and calendar app, based on previous work by Accompli which MS purchased in 2015)
  • new Photos app with tight OneDrive integration and which provides detailed info for each image by swiping from the bottom up
  • new Mobile Office apps (Word, Power Point, Excel, OneNote)
  • new Alarms & Clock app which includes a timer, stopwatch, and world clock
  • new internet browser app (Microsoft Edge) with HLS (HTTP Live Streaming).
  • new full-featured File Explorer
  • new Xbox app
  • new Cortana with extensive search options (simultaneous searches across the internet and all documents and media files on your device).
  • new Store app with very different layout
  • new Dialer app with smart dialing feature (shows matching contacts when entering a number)

Changes to existing apps

• Lumia Camera app is now the default
  • Skype is (once again) integrated into the messaging app.

Speculative

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones - list of new features

That's why I provided the link. Between the reading on that page and the video, that's all we have until people on the forums have time to test it out.

I'm going to have to wait a couple of days before I can install, due to possible health risks. If I brick my phone on a day I can't get a replacement, my wife will hurt me pretty badly. ;)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Device Encryption option under Settings/System

Nice not to need ActiveSync to enable!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Device Encryption option under Settings/System

Nice not to need ActiveSync to enable!
Cool, added to the list. Is it true that we can no longer have the WP8.1 transparent tile look? Meaning background pic in the tiles and black outlines. I love that look so much, if it's not there I at least hope it's gone only temporary! The new 'background everywhere' look is kind of messy.

Edit: the old WP8.1 transparent tile look is coming back later.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Cool, added to the list. Is it true that we can no longer have the WP8.1 transparent tile look? Meaning background pic in the tiles and black outlines. I love that look so much, if it's not there I at least hope it's gone only temporary! The new 'background everywhere' look is kind of messy.

Background control panel app looks very raw. Unsure what will come but current option looks to simply select a background.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

IE does now play Apple HLS files as reported by Microsoft. Should make a few more video sites work.

Mahmoud Hussein

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 a complete makeover?

So apparently Windows 10 for phone is some improvements to WP8.1, some more options? Not a complete makeover like many users were hoping?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's more like some interns are tweaking and toying with wp8.1. Every app and screen has different design rules. Complete mess. Pretty sure they won't solve it all before release in just a few months. Seems like Microsoft still has no clue where they want to go with their UI.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 a complete makeover?

So apparently Windows 10 for phone is some improvements to WP8.1, some more options? Not a complete makeover like many users were hoping?
cant tell that is an improvement til i saw MS Apps is being released first and feature rich more that the counter part in other platforms...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

They specifically said in the blog post that the majority of the work in this TP went into the foundation and the UI changes are coming later. Anyone who thinks that the current state is an indication of the final UI is being foolish.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

So apparently Windows 10 for phone is some improvements to WP8.1, some more options?
I think the text input improvements (dictation anywhere) and the new core apps (calendar, photo's, email, Word, PowerPoint apps) are going to make a very noticeable difference. Being able to dictate entire emails or update your diary :) while driving will be handy.

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't have the W10 desktop preview. So I never used the new Universal apps. The Calculator is a beast now! Has damn near every possible calculator you will ever need

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if this feature was in 8.1, but I discovered by accident that if you hold down a toggle in the Action Center, it takes you straight to that part of the settings. So for example, if you hold down the Bluetooth toggle, it'll open up the full Bluetooth settings page. This is much easier than having to go to All Settings and then drilling down to the Bluetooth page.

The only toggle that I can recall having a similar feature in 8.1 was the one for Internet Sharing (and that required a double tap). But then again, I don't recall ever explicitly trying this before. And I don't have access to an 8.1 phone at the moment to double check...

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if this feature was in 8.1, but I discovered by accident that if you hold down a toggle in the Action Center, it takes you straight to that part of the settings.
Nice. I was thinking the other day that I wanted the opposite for wifi: press-and-hold to just toggle it on/off. Does wifi have a long press action in WP10?

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for the double post, but I just discovered another little tweak. If you type something using the shape writing gestures, it "deciphers" it in realtime as you swipe across the keyboard. I know Android does something like this, so it's neat to see it here too. Previously 8.1 required you to complete the entire gesture and lift your finger before it would suggest a word. Nothing earth shattering, but it makes the keyboard feel a lot smarter now.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Nice. I was thinking the other day that I wanted the opposite for wifi: press-and-hold to just toggle it on/off. Does wifi have a long press action in WP10?

Right now, if wifi is enabled both tapping and long pressing the wifi toggle opens up the full wifi settings page. If the wifi is disabled, then tapping instantly turns it on and long pressing it opens the full settings.

I'm guessing this might mean that down the line they'll change it so that tapping instantly always toggles it on/off and long pressing opens the full settings. I know a lot of people have wanted an instant off toggle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05