W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

WPhone

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
My first impression of W10 on my Lumia 520: Microsoft is starting all over again, and functionality isn't past first attempts at rebuilding the very bare basics, new functionality is limited to minor details. UI has been thoroughly Androi-fied. Stability of apps on L520 is so bad that reporting them is impossible and useless.

SDKevin

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't have to write a big long review. I'm just not impressed at all. I know it's early beta, but that has nothing to do with my statement. I was hoping for something new and exciting to make up for the App Gap and zero compelling hardware on the horizon. Its not there. Every App that was an exclusive Windows App now lives on other platforms in better form. Sadly after 4 years on WP and still being a major Windows ****** I'm going to buy a Galaxy S6 today. There are Apps I need to make life easier when travelling that in some cases are on Windows phone but barely function.

Joscelin Trouwborst

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

Updated from 8.1 to the 2nd public build on a Lumia 820. It lags in responsiveness. That wouldn't be a showstopper for me, but the failing or simply not working functionality in People Hub, Outlook Mail, Outlook Calendar are and they are not the only ones. So, let's hope that Msft manages to have another public build soon.

Michael Bull2

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 535 is barely functional on update to windows 10. Even the most basic function like trying to end a call does not work, I know its pre release, but if it doesn't work at all why include that phone. Poor show indeed!!!!

flowkidd

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This build is so far from finished that I have no faith in the Phone team to get something working in 2 months. I mean they've had over a year only to have a very very very bad Alpha. If they do it in 2-3 months it will be a pile of trash that can be summed up with Loading..... and Resuming......

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If 2 months is a timeframe you're getting for the stated Summer release, remember that Summer lasts a while...
The build is fine on a lot of devices. For a lot of users.
Forming a conclusion based on your own limited experience/dataset/skills is, some would say, foolish.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I like the new build. It works almost well on Lumia 1020. I'm working in the IT, so i know what's an alpha. Things will get better, those who don't understand, just don't install.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At the moment it feels very rocky and unfinished, expectedly, the UI feels familiar yet disjointed at the same time. I guess this is attributed to the newer and older elements being in the same OS at this minute.

A few things I like/dislike;

- The toggles look terrible, old fashioned. They look very out of date and unprofessional. I hope they change.
- START SCREEN has not changed at all in terms of design, fonts, etc I feel like they need to refresh this design even it means staying with Metro but advancing the design language in a meaningful way. As it stands all they have done is add one new personalisation option and add 2 new tile sizes. As a brand new OS for the phone, I think it needs to be looked at if MS have any intention of evolving the platform and attracting new people. Start screen is by far the most important aspect, it's the first thing everyone looks at.
- Apps List has had some nice improvements to the organisation. The white/gray transparency behind it looks ugly, I think they should place a glass like effect here. In terms of functionality there remains an issue with scrolling. Tapping on letters to seek the app you want is nice, but there needs to be a 'scale' ie A-Z much like iOS or categories icons on the side which take you straight to your preferred app type.
- People, I really like the direction this is going, much cleaner and with more optimisation I can see this being one of the best parts of W10. Circular portraits look ok, but the blank ones seem strange to me.
- Outlook Calendar looks great much cleaner and attractive then the previous iteration. With some more optimisation it could be the best calendar app out there.
- Mail seems confusing to me at the minute, probably due to its incomplete nature.
- Hamburger icons. I feel like these a both a good and bad implementation. The positioning is bad on both small and large displays, MS need to do something about this by either changing up the placement or its implementation entirely into a pivot or something else entirely. In the Mail app especially it was a little frustrating to access it.
-Messaging, again I like the direction this one is going and can see it becoming much better than the previous version. Some level of customisation would make it even better, such as choosing chat bubble style, accent colour, opacity of chat bubbles etc
- Spartan Browser felt very broken and slow for obvious reasons, its probably too early to make any comments on this one.

Right now it doesn't convey the things I personally want WP to be, that is fast, smooth, very stylish and functional. But thankfully seems like they are heading in the right direction.

flowkidd

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If 2 months is a timeframe you're getting for the stated Summer release, remember that Summer lasts a while...
The build is fine on a lot of devices. For a lot of users.
Forming a conclusion based on your own limited experience/dataset/skills is, some would say, foolish.

Well considering that 8.0 and 8.1 suffered from Loading... and Resuming... it's not far fetched to think that Microsoft is not going to fix it. Even 5 months they will not have something that is better than what is out there.

Keep being an apologist

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My impressions on Windows 10 for Phones:

Its just a bugged Windows Phone 8.2, didnt address MANY things we were lacking.

For once, music control is still the WORST among mobile OS, its exactly like Windows Phone 8.1, why cant we have a music control in action center?
The OS is the SAME as Windows Phone 8.1, doesnt seem to be more integrated with other devices at all.

Sadly, i had the same disappointment with Windows 10 for desktop (and tablet). Looked like a bugged Windows 8.1, few innovations and messy.

Microsoft wont go anywhere this way...
How did you get a copy of the production W10? And more importantly, why is MS asking us to beta test if they already have the finished version and giving it to people like Alessandro Dut?

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So I took an unexpected plunge by unknowingly updating to Windows 10 mobile preview. How it happened? We'll I was so eager to get the update 2 so I installed the techpreview app, enrolled to Fast Ring and boom! It did not offer update 2 instead I was updating to Windows 10 mobile technical preview. I did not want to do it but it seems there is no backing out. I tried for several days to cancel the update when it prompted me but this morning when I woke up, the update forced itself.

Initial impressions.

- Its not good. I did not like how the display got tiny. What was they thinking? That the people should wear magnifying glasses? I really hated it particularly the battery icon, its so tiny its so hard to see it.
- Outlook is not for me. Bring back the built-in mail application. I do hope Microsoft makes Outlook as an optional app and retain the old built-in app. I so miss it. Its the best built-in mail app compared to others, period!
- Spartan is so disappointing, I cannot watch port : ( it crashes and its very slow
- I do not have the new transparent effect on my Lumia 925. I don't know why.
- The settings is a mess I prefer the update 2 version. This is too much like Android. They could have opted for a tiled settings look.

It's sad because first impression last and sorry but I don't like it and I will be switching back to Windows phone 8.1 update 1 tonight.

I know this is unpolished software but I am not liking what I see so far and I hope I am wrong.

Looking forward to a better and usable build for Windows 10 mobile. I hope MS gets it right the first time, this time!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So I took an unexpected plunge by unknowingly updating to Windows 10 mobile preview. How it happened? We'll I was so eager to get the update 2 so I installed the techpreview app, enrolled to Fast Ring and boom! It did not offer update 2 instead I was updating to Windows 10 mobile technical preview. I did not want to do it but it seems there is no backing out. I tried for several days to cancel the update when it prompted me but this morning when I woke up, the update forced itself.
Should have turned off the "automatically download and install if my download settings allow it" option :D

- Its not good. I did not like how the display got tiny. What was they thinking? That the people should wear magnifying glasses? I really hated it particularly the battery icon, its so tiny its so hard to see it.
The new small text means I can read my 2FA SMS notifications as they come in, without having to unlock the phone and go into the Messaging app. For me that's good.
I do hope Microsoft makes Outlook as an optional app and retain the old built-in app.
Unlikely. But it's very early days for that acquisition yet.
- Spartan is so disappointing, I cannot watch port : ( it crashes and its very slow
Port? Do you mean sport? Or pr0n?
- The settings is a mess I prefer the update 2 version
I like it, it's clean and a lot easier to navigate than the old unsorted list.

It's exciting times in Windows world!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans