The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-03-2015 09:19 AM
57 123
tools
    Or maybe, I agree with a5sent as well. App bar is for quick actions, ellipsis for options and settings, pivots for filters. So where do we put categories? There is no way to put categories in a Windows Phone app. So devs either put them in pivots or in the ellipsis. That's why our current e-mail app has a category 'folders' under the ellipsis which seems kinda odd.

Sent from my Lumia 920!
    a5cent likes this.
    02-21-2015 04:03 AM
    What do you think of my idea? Check the my latest post in this topic:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...nu-design.html
    02-21-2015 04:52 AM
    There is another way to solve this issue, a completely configurable UI. That would let the user decide what the most important features are to them while keeping the functionality of the app intact.
    02-21-2015 07:28 AM
    Or maybe, I agree with a5sent as well. App bar is for quick actions, ellipsis for options and settings, pivots for filters. So where do we put categories? There is no way to put categories in a Windows Phone app. So devs either put them in pivots or in the ellipsis. That's why our current e-mail app has a category 'folders' under the ellipsis which seems kinda odd.
    Exactly. That's why I couldn't give Kram's last post a 'like', although the post was really funny.

It's just not good/workable as it is, because currently devs are required to constantly re-invent navigation on WP. There is no default solution, so devs end up using command bar buttons, command bar menu entries, home-made side panels which are often but not always opened using a hamburger button, and sometimes they misuse pivots. It is an inconsistent mess!

We may have gotten used to that mess, but if it's ever cleaned up we'll wonder how we ever lived with it.

Neo suggested the popular "let it all be configurable" option, but that doesn't change the fact that this mess does need to be addressed and that we still need a default approach to navigation, even if variations can be configured.
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-21-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: formatting
    white_Shadoww and neo158 like this.
    02-21-2015 08:17 AM
    I like the way pocket file manager does their press/hold menu, something like that in the ellipses menu would be pretty neat, like we've talked about before, ribbon ideas.

http://1drv.ms/1EBlyWs
    02-21-2015 08:22 AM
    Exactly. That's why I couldn't give Kram's last post a 'like', although the post was really funny.
    It's just not good/workable as it is, because currently devs are required to constantly re-invent navigation on WP. Because there is no default solution, devs end up using command bar buttons, command bar menu entries, home made side panels which are often but not always opened using a hamburger menu, and sometimes they misuse pivots. It is an inconsistent mess!
    We may have gotten used to that mess, but if it's ever cleaned up we'll wonder how we ever lived with it.
    Neo suggested the popular "let it all be configurable" option, but that doesn't change the fact that this mess does need to be addressed and that we still need a default approach to navigation, even if variations can be configured.
    Exactly, it's an absolute mess at the moment and needs to be addressed. The best example of the correct use of pivots is in the email app.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-21-2015 09:47 AM
    Exactly, it's an absolute mess at the moment and needs to be addressed. The best example of the correct use of pivots is in the email app.
    It's a matter of getting everything working before you polish up the UI
    02-21-2015 09:52 AM
    I hope you guys are sending your thoughts and opinion on W10P to Microsoft?
    02-21-2015 11:06 AM
    I hope you guys are sending your thoughts and opinion on W10P to Microsoft?
    Of course, you?
    02-21-2015 11:12 AM
    Please vote on UserVoice: https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ign-between-wi

The Reddit community did their job by voting (over 1000 votes). Now WC, do yours!!
    02-21-2015 01:13 PM
    I have no problem with Hamburger Menus IF they're properly implemented...like they are on Android.
    And that's by making them actionable through a simple flip from the left to the right.

I can't tell you how many time I've picked up one of my Windows Phones and tried to access hamburger menus on it by flipping from the left as I do on Android...just to find out it does nothing.

Unless Microsoft implements the rest of the Hamburger Menu philosophy that's on Android, they should just stay put and put the menus where they've always been on WP. OR, at least, move the hamburgers to the bottom.
    Legoboyii likes this.
    02-21-2015 06:17 PM
    Categories could be put in the app bar. Just another icon that jumps you into the folder view or whatever page you want.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    02-21-2015 10:52 PM
    By the way, hamburgers on Windows 10 are even messier. I just installed Windows 10 on my laptop, didn't install yet on my phone as preview is not yet available, but using it on desktop confuses me a lot. Sometimes settings are listed under hamburger, sometimes there are categories. There are 2 hamburgers in some apps. This is very inconsistent mess. In my own opinion, Windows 8.1 with Synaptics gestures for touchpad was the best non touch OS I've ever used. That experience was brilliant. And on the phone side, it was Windows Phone 8.0, the best experience.
    Sent from my Lumia 920!
    02-21-2015 11:00 PM
    On a side note, I've never used a big Android phone. I came from a tiny Xperia U which was 3.5 inches and using hamburgers on it was no problem. And using a 4.5 inch screen with WP8 wasn't even a problem. I saw an iPhone yesterday, at one of my dad's friend, and he was struggling reaching menus at the top of the screen. Constantly adjusting the grip. Honestly, I hate that. If this is what MS are going to implement, I will maybe get Xperia Z1 compact, because of the screen size. On WP front, we don't have a single device with small screen and good specs. All we have are 4.5 inches and above, and MS is screwing one hand usage.
    Sent from my Lumia 920!
    02-21-2015 11:05 PM
    The endless swiping pivots or panoramas of Windows Phone Modern User Interface (UI) is good for one handed use no matter if you are left or right handed. I like that.

Also, I wonder if the people hating on the "modern design" might be thinking the UI version implemented on Windows 8.0 / 8.1 on computers and computer tablets? That version is no where near as elegant and well thought out as the "Modern design UI" on the Windows phones. It is the phone version, that I have always thought was amazing, functional, and innovative. I wonder if there isn't some confusion in the discussions as to which is being discussed.

Just my thought/opinion.
    I voted on UserVoice.
    Best Wishes.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    02-21-2015 11:30 PM
    Categories could be put in the app bar. Just another icon that jumps you into the folder view or whatever page you want.

Possible, but reality shows us that's rarely the approach devs take, despite it being simple and available since WP7. It begs the question why that is not more common?
    02-22-2015 04:27 AM
    Of course, you?
    Same here.
    02-22-2015 06:00 AM
    I will maybe get Xperia Z1 compact, because of the screen size.
    Get the Z3 Compact instead. The phone is exactly the same size of the Z1 Compact, but the screen went from 4.3" to 4.6". You have more screen real estate on the same sized phone, but in a thinner package. And you can use it perfectly. Often even more easily than the 920 on account of the size and width.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    02-22-2015 01:48 PM
    Z3 by Sony???? if yes, they are going out of phone business
    02-22-2015 02:02 PM
    Z3 by Sony???? if yes, they are going out of phone business
    No, they are not. People should learn how to read.

They said that they wouldn't be putting major investment in their Mobile Division in the future. Same thing with their TV division.
    In other words, they decided mobile (and TVs) is no longer a priority. From there to going out is still a while. Furthermore, I don't think Sony is willing to leave mobile yet. First they'll try to stop using idiotic strategies like 6 months cycles.
    Yes, they said they hadn't ruled out a sale of their mobile division, but that's not their top priority. They've also mentioned possible partnerships, funny everyone seems to skip that part too...
    Sony knows that mobile is the future. They aren't giving up yet. However, they'll do the sensible thing and reduce their phone portfolio. Too many models a year is just bad business. As Nokia showed and Samsung has recently learned.

I wonder if the fact that Sony is still the third biggest OEM in Europe or the fact that Sony still ships more phones than Microsoft Mobile bothers so many people...

At any rate, the Z3 is still a better phone than the 930. And that's just a fact.
    02-22-2015 02:26 PM
    This is what I've been saying for a long time!
    02-22-2015 02:30 PM
    I thought I read somewhere that they were stopping cause they could not be competitive against china....something like that..I don't remember where I've seen it...hey, probably you know more than me...
    02-22-2015 03:26 PM
    No, they are not. People should learn how to read.

They said that they wouldn't be putting major investment in their Mobile Division in the future. Same thing with their TV division.
    In other words, they decided mobile (and TVs) is no longer a priority. From there to going out is still a while. Furthermore, I don't think Sony is willing to leave mobile yet. First they'll try to stop using idiotic strategies like 6 months cycles.
    Yes, they said they hadn't ruled out a sale of their mobile division, but that's not their top priority. They've also mentioned possible partnerships, funny everyone seems to skip that part too...
    Sony knows that mobile is the future. They aren't giving up yet. However, they'll do the sensible thing and reduce their phone portfolio. Too many models a year is just bad business. As Nokia showed and Samsung has recently learned.

I wonder if the fact that Sony is still the third biggest OEM in Europe or the fact that Sony still ships more phones than Microsoft Mobile bothers so many people...

At any rate, the Z3 is still a better phone than the 930. And that's just a fact.

Sony is no longer an electronics company | The Verge
    02-22-2015 04:12 PM
    Perhaps you should read Sony's statements instead of some sensationalist article from The Verge. Just sayin' ;)
    Here's a link Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Mid-Term Corporate Strategy for FY2015 - FY2017

I'll, however, quote here the part about the Mobile Division:

"The TV and Mobile Communications businesses operate in markets characterized by high volatility and challenging competitive landscapes. In view of this business environment, Sony will place the highest priority on curtailing risk and securing profits in its operation of these businesses. Since both markets are experiencing intense cost competition and commoditization, Sony will strive to further increase the added value of its products by leveraging its in-house technologies and component devices. By carefully selecting the territories and product areas it targets, Sony will seek to limit its capital investment and establish a business structure capable of securing stable profits. The Company will also continue to explore potential alliances with other companies in these areas, in response to changes in the business landscape."
    02-22-2015 10:45 PM
    I just hate it. First Nokia & Blackberry, now Sony. I would love to see Samsung demolished.
    02-22-2015 11:57 PM
57 123