06-10-2015 08:27 AM
45 12
tools
    I wonder if Microsoft considered developing a version of Windows 10 for use by Smart TVs. Let's be frank here, the stuff loaded on most Smart TVs are garbage and they're wildly inconsistent in terms of apps, services and execution. Not to mention the question of on-going support, updates and actual improvements in user-experience.

I don't see why Windows 10 shouldn't be on TV. Microsoft did say that Windows 10 can be scaled to be put on almost anything, the television is at the heart of the living-room and doesn't seem to be going away. There are two ways of going about this idea. First, offer an actual SKU and reference design (in terms of underlying CPU, RAM, storage, connectivity, etc) to the OEMs. Second, develop an actual 'Xbox Lite' for $99 that could bring Windows 10 to existing television sets.
    Laura Knotek and plast 0000 like this.
    02-27-2015 09:46 PM
    I already use Windows 8 on my TV. Even the derps that dislike Win8 seem to agree the interface works well on a TV screen. The media apps have some extremely practical usability too... especially in the face of Roku, the deprecated WDTV, the extremely limited Chromecast, and the Apple TV that not even the Apple diehards like.

The Win8 media app category puts them all to shame with ease... and if MS were to realize what they were sleeping on, they could cash in big time here.
    02-27-2015 09:48 PM
    I've also been using it on a 40" for the past 3 years. Just chilln on a couch, watch movies, play music through surround sound, also gaming on ultra settings. Amazing
    02-27-2015 10:03 PM
    Like a few others here, I do believe devices like the Intel Compute Stick are the future in this category. People don't need to buy the so-called Smart TVs with any OS pre-loaded (most of them are inconsistent with their ecosystems and support). They just need to plug in the stick and their regular TV becomes a full-fledged Smart TV.
    02-28-2015 01:44 AM
    Also, I think we will see a lot of hardware options in this category this year. The one problem with the Intel Compute Stick is that it uses an external power source via microUSB. That will change later this year and we'll see similar devices which will be able to draw power via HDMI. Exciting times, if you ask me.
    02-28-2015 02:04 AM
    Also, I think we will see a lot of hardware options in this category this year. The one problem with the Intel Compute Stick is that it uses an external power source via microUSB. That will change later this year and we'll see similar devices which will be able to draw power via HDMI. Exciting times, if you ask me.
    The Roku, FireTV and Chromecast HDMI sticks all draw power from their microUSB ports. The Intel compute stick is fine and all, but not everyone is looking for a full computer OS for media purposes. The under $50 options are a much better option for those who aren't looking a customize Kodi installs, play games, browse the web, use peripheral evices etc.
    Laura Knotek and wpseven like this.
    03-01-2015 12:46 PM
    I would so rock this Idea of Windows 10 on the TV. If it gets apps from XB1 and automatically works on the smart TV, media player and stick It'll pretty much wipe the competition
    03-01-2015 04:10 PM
    Nintendo TVii will have to run for its money
    03-01-2015 04:26 PM
    The intel stick is really not an option for the average joe, having it installed on Smart TVs is the best approach as a) less cable mess b) no additional cost of development, manufacture of a set top box. Furthermore they gain another avenue to win mind share for windows phone, as people would instantly recognize the UX in shops etc.

Not to mention with the universal apps platform, developers have another set of audience they can target thus increasing their revenue potential tremendously, MS gains an humongous user base as the TV is not going anywhere any time soon and windows phone users reap the benefits. Win-Win-Win situation for everyone (apart from the competition ).
    03-04-2015 05:31 AM
    I'm all for a sub-100 device that plugs into a Smart TV, or is integrated.
    However I don't think MS will do it, as has been noted that people are buying the XBOX ONE just for the media centre.
    I wouldn't, I have a Apple TV that's starting to really p!$s me off, but I wouldn't pay nearly 300 for a media server!!!

I do hope MS with their IoT (Internet of Things) technology that I could have a MS TV some day...

G.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-04-2015 02:55 PM
    This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.
    Don't get me started, I'm a Die hard WMC fan, I was a MVP for WMC 2010-2011 and even am a full certified Windows Media Center installer(they did have a certification for this)..

WMC has cablecard support and at one time they were testing Dish Network and Directv add-ons for WMC (Go on engadget and search for "ehome" and see the tour pictures from 2008-2009, it's very clear in the pictures)

Windows Media Center is the ONLY PVR software package that has cable labs certification. They can expand this and go right into another version for Windows 10. Just add on to it and change the interface on it.

Wow, a new interface designed for remote use, New DVR, new Movies/Music libraries, all the on-line content from the Xbox one....OMG it could be just epic..

I've been tweeting MS on this, do a search on twitter for #WindowsMediaCenter and find the post by @TheCoolDave (me) and re-tweet it as much as possible. This might be the ONLY way we can get WMC in Windows 10 and If we want another version, WE NEED A LOT OF RE-TWEETS.

I do know for a FACT, that after the Windows 7 release(newest version of WMC) and the time the eHome team was broken up, there was a lot of time in-between that, from a contact I had, they were in alpha stage on a new version. It never saw the light of day, would love to see them finish it and release it with Windows 10....

but, I am dreaming again...

I would so rock this Idea of Windows 10 on the TV. If it gets apps from XB1 and automatically works on the smart TV, media player and stick It'll pretty much wipe the competition
    This is pretty much what it was with Windows 7 (and Vista), internet TV, you actually had Internet TV in the TV guide and select content based on the channel it was under, it was pretty cool (disabled service now). All Internet based options for the time had apps for WMC.

The Media Player in WMC is still pretty awesome that can be used with a remote, even a movie library for your movie rips that gives you the covers and metadata...
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.
    03-04-2015 09:01 PM
    I've been tweeting MS on this, do a search on twitter for #WindowsMediaCenter and find the post by @TheCoolDave (me) and re-tweet it as much as possible. This might be the ONLY way we can get WMC in Windows 10 and If we want another version, WE NEED A LOT OF RE-TWEETS.
    Done!
    DavidinCT and TechFreak1 like this.
    03-04-2015 09:59 PM
    I am also interested in Xbox TV. Not everyone knows how to or wants to set up a windows8 PC to act as HTPC, you need to find appropriate controller and software, and the win8 license itself is almost the cost of an android TV box.

They just need to put the hardware of windows tablet into a box (bundle a remote for xbox), and make the interface looks exactly the same as Xbox one, but just have access to "universal app" and "remote play" (stream games from xbox one or PC) and work as miracast receiver. Then put a price tag below $100, they will sell like a hot cake and take over chromecast in a short time.
    03-05-2015 10:17 AM
    Windows 10 on TV:
    recording shows then sharing them on social networks and uploading them on OneDrive, syncing wirelessly with Windows 10 PCs / Xbox One /Surface 3 Pro /Lumia Phones , accessing universal apps and having Cortana as a personal assistant
    it will blow Samsung's Tizen OS and other android TVs OFF for sure
    03-05-2015 10:19 AM
    Thank god I have an Xbox One so that I don't need something like this.
    03-05-2015 10:25 AM
    Thank god I have an Xbox One so that I don't need something like this.
    A Xbox one is NOT a dvr, and is not as extensive as a htpc based on windows media center. Do some research, the Xbox one is not even close to what you could do with 5 year old software
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.
    03-07-2015 04:43 PM
    Xbox One wasn't really meant for that, it was meant for gaming, MS added extra multimedia features to it to be the "Ultimate multimedia Machine" that can do other things alongside gaming like acting as a TV box which isn't present in PS4
    am I right?
    03-12-2015 02:52 PM
    In my opinion MS has the perfect base for a TV - Surface Hub!
    03-18-2015 04:32 AM
    All they would have to do is modify the xbox version of windows 10 to exclude the xbox game side.
    I suggested this idea a year or so ago, and everybody HATED it. Apparently I completely misunderstood what xbox was for and the idea didn't make sense. Probably I was a total ***** too.

Good to see I was just ahead of my time.

Sadly, I fear Microsoft are too late. Android TV is coming this year, and there are several other smart TV platforms already well established in the market.
    03-22-2015 02:12 PM
    after making a version of Windows 10 for the internet of things (Windows 10 IoT), I think that this should be possible, now we need a company that makes TVs to make it happen
    06-10-2015 08:27 AM
45 12