MS should make a TV version of Windows 10

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
But the thing is, no one is going to buy an XBOX One specifically for the purpose of watching movies and streaming TV services. They could also implement video game streaming into an "XBOX Stick", same way as they plan to do for Windows 10 PC's and tablets. An XBOX Stick would not feature any gaming with out an XBOX One as a "host". It would specifically cater to those who want to stream and access music, movies & TV shows. So it's not really competing with XBOX, it even gives owners of an XBOX One a reason to buy an XBOX Streaming Stick device.

For the last several years statistics have shown the Xbox 360/One are actually used more often for movies/streaming than gaming, by a decent margin. Yes many of those capabilities are available in other cheaper forms, but people don't like having to toggle inputs all the time. They want one seamless interface that does all of their media needs, including gaming. The 360 had everything including media center, now the Xbone has most of it but you can still get media center via pass-through from another device (like a 360 as I'm doing).

The TV issue isn't so much Microsoft, it's the fact that they fought a war and lost to the cable companies. The cable companies don't want to play ball, they want the revenue from forced rental of cable boxes/DVR for every TV in the house, instead of a streamlined centralized system where they can only charge you for the services, not the hardware.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the mutli-OS architecture of the Xbox One lends itself to the idea that a cheap "Xbox TV" coming at some point. If they strip out the Xbox OS partition that controls direct hardware access for full games, they're essentially left with a TV-centric version of Windows. A set top box or hdmi stick that can run not only all the One's media apps but also games that don't require the full power of the console would have an instant selling point over apple/roku/fire/android tv devices. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in line with the 10 launch because then it'll also have the advantage of universal apps.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you can buy a HP Stream 7 tablet for $79 (sometimes), and that has a touchscreen, they should easily be able to build something for less without a screen.

HP do have these though.

But if they added an IrDA sensor and cut the unit back more (less expansion etc.) then lower prices should be possible.

I guess we also have this: Intel Compute Stick

- $149

But the goal has to be $99.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
But the goal has to be $99.

I'd say less than that. I personally don't know any one with the full top set streaming media solutions, usually the advantage of them are games and I think the XBOX One takes care of that. For strictly media consumption, it would need to be $50 or less to gain any attention.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft considered developing a version of Windows 10 for use by Smart TVs. Let's be frank here, the stuff loaded on most Smart TVs are garbage and they're wildly inconsistent in terms of apps, services and execution. Not to mention the question of on-going support, updates and actual improvements in user-experience.

I don't see why Windows 10 shouldn't be on TV. Microsoft did say that Windows 10 can be scaled to be put on almost anything, the television is at the heart of the living-room and doesn't seem to be going away. There are two ways of going about this idea. First, offer an actual SKU and reference design (in terms of underlying CPU, RAM, storage, connectivity, etc) to the OEMs. Second, develop an actual 'Xbox Lite' for $99 that could bring Windows 10 to existing television sets.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I already use Windows 8 on my TV. Even the derps that dislike Win8 seem to agree the interface works well on a TV screen. The media apps have some extremely practical usability too... especially in the face of Roku, the deprecated WDTV, the extremely limited Chromecast, and the Apple TV that not even the Apple diehards like.

The Win8 media app category puts them all to shame with ease... and if MS were to realize what they were sleeping on, they could cash in big time here.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've also been using it on a 40" for the past 3 years. Just chilln on a couch, watch movies, play music through surround sound, also gaming on ultra settings. Amazing

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Like a few others here, I do believe devices like the Intel Compute Stick are the future in this category. People don't need to buy the so-called Smart TVs with any OS pre-loaded (most of them are inconsistent with their ecosystems and support). They just need to plug in the stick and their regular TV becomes a full-fledged Smart TV.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think we will see a lot of hardware options in this category this year. The one problem with the Intel Compute Stick is that it uses an external power source via microUSB. That will change later this year and we'll see similar devices which will be able to draw power via HDMI. Exciting times, if you ask me.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Also, I think we will see a lot of hardware options in this category this year. The one problem with the Intel Compute Stick is that it uses an external power source via microUSB. That will change later this year and we'll see similar devices which will be able to draw power via HDMI. Exciting times, if you ask me.

The Roku, FireTV and Chromecast HDMI sticks all draw power from their microUSB ports. The Intel compute stick is fine and all, but not everyone is looking for a full computer OS for media purposes. The under $50 options are a much better option for those who aren't looking a customize Kodi installs, play games, browse the web, use peripheral evices etc.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I would so rock this Idea of Windows 10 on the TV. If it gets apps from XB1 and automatically works on the smart TV, media player and stick It'll pretty much wipe the competition

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The intel stick is really not an option for the average joe, having it installed on Smart TVs is the best approach as a) less cable mess b) no additional cost of development, manufacture of a set top box. Furthermore they gain another avenue to win mind share for windows phone, as people would instantly recognize the UX in shops etc.

Not to mention with the universal apps platform, developers have another set of audience they can target thus increasing their revenue potential tremendously, MS gains an humongous user base as the TV is not going anywhere any time soon and windows phone users reap the benefits. Win-Win-Win situation for everyone (apart from the competition :evil:).

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for a sub-?100 device that plugs into a Smart TV, or is integrated.
However I don't think MS will do it, as has been noted that people are buying the XBOX ONE just for the media centre.
I wouldn't, I have a Apple TV that's starting to really p!$s me off, but I wouldn't pay nearly ?300 for a media server!!!

I do hope MS with their IoT (Internet of Things) technology that I could have a MS TV some day...

G.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re:

This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.

Don't get me started, I'm a Die hard WMC fan, I was a MVP for WMC 2010-2011 and even am a full certified Windows Media Center installer(they did have a certification for this)..

WMC has cablecard support and at one time they were testing Dish Network and Directv add-ons for WMC (Go on engadget and search for "ehome" and see the tour pictures from 2008-2009, it's very clear in the pictures)

Windows Media Center is the ONLY PVR software package that has cable labs certification. They can expand this and go right into another version for Windows 10. Just add on to it and change the interface on it.

Wow, a new interface designed for remote use, New DVR, new Movies/Music libraries, all the on-line content from the Xbox one....OMG it could be just epic..

I've been tweeting MS on this, do a search on twitter for #WindowsMediaCenter and find the post by @TheCoolDave (me) and re-tweet it as much as possible. This might be the ONLY way we can get WMC in Windows 10 and If we want another version, WE NEED A LOT OF RE-TWEETS.

I do know for a FACT, that after the Windows 7 release(newest version of WMC) and the time the eHome team was broken up, there was a lot of time in-between that, from a contact I had, they were in alpha stage on a new version. It never saw the light of day, would love to see them finish it and release it with Windows 10....

but, I am dreaming again...

I would so rock this Idea of Windows 10 on the TV. If it gets apps from XB1 and automatically works on the smart TV, media player and stick It'll pretty much wipe the competition

This is pretty much what it was with Windows 7 (and Vista), internet TV, you actually had Internet TV in the TV guide and select content based on the channel it was under, it was pretty cool (disabled service now). All Internet based options for the time had apps for WMC.

The Media Player in WMC is still pretty awesome that can be used with a remote, even a movie library for your movie rips that gives you the covers and metadata...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I've been tweeting MS on this, do a search on twitter for #WindowsMediaCenter and find the post by @TheCoolDave (me) and re-tweet it as much as possible. This might be the ONLY way we can get WMC in Windows 10 and If we want another version, WE NEED A LOT OF RE-TWEETS.
Done! :smile:

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I am also interested in Xbox TV. Not everyone knows how to or wants to set up a windows8 PC to act as HTPC, you need to find appropriate controller and software, and the win8 license itself is almost the cost of an android TV box.

They just need to put the hardware of windows tablet into a box (bundle a remote for xbox), and make the interface looks exactly the same as Xbox one, but just have access to "universal app" and "remote play" (stream games from xbox one or PC) and work as miracast receiver. Then put a price tag below $100, they will sell like a hot cake and take over chromecast in a short time.

plast 0000

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 on TV:
recording shows then sharing them on social networks and uploading them on OneDrive, syncing wirelessly with Windows 10 PCs / Xbox One /Surface 3 Pro /Lumia Phones , accessing universal apps and having Cortana as a personal assistant
it will blow Samsung's Tizen OS and other android TVs OFF for sure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte