When is the Lumia Emerald update coming out?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia Emerald update

Also, where on earth is this Lumia Emerald name coming from? Have people watched that awful Green Lantern movie and forgotten that there are other E colours other than Emerald?

True, I said the same to someone else in a similar thread not too long ago.
In fact I don't even think MS will stick with the same naming scheme as it was always a Nokia thing.
But people seem to be specifying it as Emerald everywhere and that makes more people believe that it is indeed named emerald. Its best go with that flow and say emerald for whatever the next firmware is until a new name becomes official.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd expect that the next firmware is whatever is packaged with Windows 10. There MIGHT be a GDR package, but it's not guaranteed, and with the way carriers take forever to get updates pushed out, I'll probably have a W10 device before GDR2 makes it to my 920 anyway. That, or I'll maybe be on the W10 preview (assuming that the exclusion of devices from W10 doesn't involve SD S4-based phones).

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I think what it comes down to is that people are confusing the named firmware releases with the operating system releases. You can only take firmware to a certain state before all features are supported. Once you get to that point theoretically there should not be any more releases and the operating system should just support what is available. Firmware is released by the chip manufacturer in the icons case qualcom. The operating system side "Microsoft" should be making sure that the operating system is compatible with the current firmware. In my case I don't expect to see any future firmware releases because everything the phone can do is currently supported.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Just 6 months after 730 and 830? That seems unlikely.

I don't think so at all, the 730 and 830 were both Nokia phones, it looks to be a pattern that Microsoft is rushing the x40 sets to replace Nokia's x30 sets

As for the XL, I'm kinda torn between weather or not i like the idea of every model having an XL, i think maybe a high end XL and a mid range XL is a enough.. but, it could be interesting to see low end phablets...

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Also, where on earth is this Lumia Emerald name coming from? Have people watched that awful Green Lantern movie and forgotten that there are other E colours other than Emerald?
As mentioned originally it is a rumor. May be the post title didnt have the word which threw people off.

Why aren't these threads just simply killed when they're first found or have some auto response to them? We just barely get out of one update and people are aleady wondering about the next.

This place is a user forum and we're not MS and we have no idea, none, of their dealings with updates. Asking anyone on here, including those who may be connected with MS is not going to produce an answer for you.

Seeing these types of questions being asked gets tiring. Just wish they'd stop.

noted!! I wasnt expecting anyone who got tired to read this thread either. I was simply wondering with the Win10 in the pipeline if the "rumored" update was going to be benched like some other programs or is the "rumored update" was GDR2 or as xandros said it wasnt official yet(to the public) so wait and find out.

Merely pondering what is going to happen with the naming pattern when win 10 gets in. I know the question didnt make that evident but I am not about to loose my sleep over rumors. I need someone like Daniel to get some solid evidence before I start that eager wait. For now I am on Denim and making the most of it and I intend to wait for as long as it takes for the DP version of win 10 if it happens.

The original post was more about ifs and buts...and not that I was convinced that there is emerald. I had no options to give a major update, if any , a name so I threw a name which most of users here would have heard.

Please dont hunt me down to kill me.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so at all, the 730 and 830 were both Nokia phones, it looks to be a pattern that Microsoft is rushing the x40 sets to replace Nokia's x30 sets

As for the XL, I'm kinda torn between weather or not i like the idea of every model having an XL, i think maybe a high end XL and a mid range XL is a enough.. but, it could be interesting to see low end phablets...

But to replace those two they will need to start using the newer gen Snapdragons, else it will be more of a same and overlap with 640.
And I think XL is a good naming scheme and avoid a confusion. I think all alternate models should get an alt version like this.
440 XL- qHD 5.3" and SD 210 1gb RAM
640XL - HD 5.7" and SD 400(should have been 410 ideally) 1gb RAM.
840 XL- 5.7" Full HD and SD 615 with 2gb RAM

I think 1520 successor should be named 1540 as it is a popular model and won't ruin the higher number better phone system.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Like Euphoria?

It's rainbows and sparkles

Anyways it makes sense that they're working on another 8.1 update as I suspect some older phones won't make the cut.... 7.8 v2 scenario... I'm guessing the X10's and some X20's won't make it.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
But to replace those two they will need to start using the newer gen Snapdragons, else it will be more of a same and overlap with 640.
And I think XL is a good naming scheme and avoid a confusion. I think all alternate models should get an alt version like this.
440 XL- qHD 5.3" and SD 210 1gb RAM
640XL - HD 5.7" and SD 400(should have been 410 ideally) 1gb RAM.
840 XL- 5.7" Full HD and SD 615 with 2gb RAM

I think 1520 successor should be named 1540 as it is a popular model and won't ruin the higher number better phone system.

I feel like the 1520 should definately be merged into the 930 XL name, what is so unique about the 1520 that should give it its own name? i think it would work much better as a 940 XL

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Could this be lumia emerald fw update? Here. Looked everywhere on the web, no changelogs. I'm waiting to do a hard reset.

So sorry I didn't get a notification on this post as there was no quoting done. How did you go? was that a version up or just 8.1 update 2

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
So sorry I didn't get a notification on this post as there was no quoting done. How did you go? was that a version up or just 8.1 update 2
Just a FW update to solve some battery issues and could be prerequisite update for win 10 mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb