Why the phone naming scheme is so bad! This is the fix.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It is very simple and it amazes me Microsoft doesn't know this.

The naming scheme is so bad because the numbers keeps changing. There is no other identity attached to a phone. So you can't say 'get the new Lumia 820' because there is no new Lumia 820. There is a Lumia 830, but is a different number, and with a non logical increase. So you have to say, get the new Lumia 820, which is now named as the Lumia 830. Ridiculous. Bad. Super bad. Horrible.

Because of this a phone can never create a hype or/and a recognizable 'sub' brand like the name Galaxy is for Samsung and iPhone is for Apple. I call these sub brand names because they start living a life of their own. People will simply say, I want the new Galaxy or the new iPhone. So they wait until the number behind that sub brand name is increased by 1. Galaxy 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Easy. It works. It's simple for people who do not research phones. For people who don't know anything. They just think, the Galaxy or iPhone was quite good for me so I'll buy the next one. The naming scheme allows for an addiction to happen. People will mindlessly upgrade.

Now let's see how Lumia does it. Lumia phones have all kinds of numbers. To us experts they are logical. But my sister, my mother, my aunt, my sheep friends they have no clue what those numbers mean. People don't want logic. People want to be addicted to a brand they are comfortable with.
Let's say someone buys a Lumia 920. Many of those people don't even know what number they have. They don't even know they have a 920. Do they care to remember this number? No. Because in the back of their mind they know this number will change to something other random with the next phone. People say 'I have a Lumia'. Only experts know the number and what it exactly means.

Why is this so amazingly bad? Because such a customer cannot look forward to an upgrade. It wont create addiction and recognition. If people buy a Galaxy 5 and they like it, their brain will be alert for any text or hearing about 'Galaxy 6'. Alarm bells will ring. They will think I want this upgrade!
When people have a Lumia 620 they are floating around and have no idea what to set their radar to. Do I have to look out for a 621? O wait a 635 pops up, what is that? A 640? Is this a new 620? They see a 720, huh is this the new 620? Maybe they increase the first number every time.
Trust me, normal people have no idea what is going on here. So their mind is not set to look out for that upgrade. They know they have to start a new research when their contract ends. They ask around and look around and will jump to god knows what phone. Probably to an iconic sub brand name like a Galaxy. Because that's what people talk about.

Another reason why the naming scheme is bad is because low, mid and high end Lumia phones all share the same sub brand name 'Lumia'. The numbers seem random so they are forgotten. So what is left behind in the memory of a customer? The Lumia sub brand name. They will hear people with a 520 whine about stuff and they will connect this whine in their brains to the Lumia sub brand. Thus anything lower than a flagship will damage the brand's reputation.

Conclusions

- A different quality series of products needs a different sub brand
- Each sub brand name needs to increase by 1 number with every upgrade.

This isn't rocket science guys. This is logic for the psychological mind. Microsoft is stupid and they think logic in nerd/programmer minds. These minds want to research every new phone they buy so the naming scheme won't matter to them. Normal people won't research. They will be triggered psychologically by addiction to brand names and recognition.

A logic naming scheme that compares series like the Lumia brand does doesn't work because people with a certain kind of income will always pay the same price for a phone. They will buy a 100 euro phone, or 200-300 euro phone, or 400 euro phone, or anything above. They won't travel across these range of devices. Why is this important to realize? Because the Lumia numbering scheme is good for comparing these range of devices (if you understand how the numbering works) but it is bad for comparing phones WITHIN a certain price range, which is all that matters! LOL.

So how we solve all this? Simple. Each price range needs their own sub brand name to allow individual marketing for that sub brand name and psychological attachment and recognition.

So the naming should be like this:

[brand name] [sub brand name] [single digit number]

In which the first part, the brand name is not actively marketed all the time. The second part, the sub brand name must be marketed.

So the new naming scheme for W10 devices should be:

Microsoft [sub brand name A] 1
Microsoft [sub brand name B] 1
Microsoft [sub brand name C] 1
Etcetera..

The upgrades will look like this:

Microsoft [sub brand name A] 2
Microsoft [sub brand name B] 2
Microsoft [sub brand name C] 2
Etcetera...

This allow for:
- individual marketing per price range
- easy recognition
- psychological attachment to the sub brand name
- addiction.
- People that bought a 'Microsoft [sub brand name C] 1' will look out for 'Microsoft [sub brand name C] 2'. Easy for them. If their income increases they will simply look at the price tag and buy a 'Microsoft [sub brand name B] 2'.

You might say, how do you know which sub brand name is better than the other? Wake up! This does not have to be explained in the naming scheme! It doesn't matter.
THE PRICE TAG EXPLAINS THIS. a lower price tag is a lower number :) a higher price tag is a higher number :)
The price tag indicates if a phone is low- or high-end. Every person will understand this.

Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely. The do need to think about this. The numbers bit is all over the shop. To illustrate your point, my daughter and also brother in law have Windows Phones. I was curious about the Denim update, so asked my daughter which Nokia she had, she didn't have a clue. I thought it was a 630, but couldn't remember. Same with my brother in law, I asked him which model his was, he said "no idea, but it was only ?50". Turns out his is a 530 or 5... Something. Now neither of those two have any idea of the upgrade path that they will follow. Indeed, neither would know whether to go for a 5, 6, 7 or 8 series.

My brother-in-law had been Samsung Galaxy from the first one, and at each upgrade cycle he went up to the newest Galaxy. He only got the Windows phone due to him damaging his S5.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Naming the devices using number is OK, but they should be consistent. They should stick to 3 digit model number with one or two letter, like BMW, the first one indicating the price range and internal configuration (9>8>7>6>5>4), second one can be the generation, third one will be notation for special version (better camera or special feature). Screen size can be presented by the letter, like 940XL(6 inch)>940L(5.5 inch)>940(5 inch)>940M(4 inch).
Base on this naming scheme:
1020 should have been 921
1520 should have been 930XL
1320 should have been 630XL

This will be much easier to remember and widely accepted.

Besides lumia brand, which should be consumer and entertainment brand; they also need a surface brand for productivity, which bridges the phone, tablet and laptop. Whenever people get a surface phone, they expect to be able to dock it and turn it into a tablet or laptop (even a desktop), this will be a perfect show case for the windows 10 and productivity on the go.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
naming the devices using number is ok, but they should be consistent. They should stick to 3 digit model number with one or two letter, like bmw, the first one indicating the price range and internal configuration (9>8>7>6>5>4), second one can be the generation, third one will be notation for special version (better camera or special feature). Screen size can be presented by the letter, like 940xl(6 inch)>940l(5.5 inch)>940(5 inch)>940m(4 inch).
Base on this naming scheme:
1020 should have been 921
1520 should have been 930xl
1320 should have been 630xl

this will be much easier to remember and widely accepted.

Besides lumia brand, which should be consumer and entertainment brand; they also need a surface brand for productivity, which bridges the phone, tablet and laptop. Whenever people get a surface phone, they expect to be able to dock it and turn it into a tablet or laptop (even a desktop), this will be a perfect show case for the windows 10 and productivity on the go.
lol!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The naming scheme was fine until someone decided we should have a bunch of variants instead of one device. I also can't remember half of the stuff that's been released after MS took over but I can remember the 520/620/720/820/920/1020. It's been all screwy since then. The 925 was a cool variant though.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The naming scheme was fine until someone decided we should have a bunch of variants instead of one device. I also can't remember half of the stuff that's been released after MS took over but I can remember the 520/620/720/820/920/1020. It's been all screwy since then. The 925 was a cool variant though.

Everything is ok if they name them 'XX0' things gets sh*ttier when they start with the variants like XX5/XX8/XX1 etc.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I spoke with Microsoft at MWC about the naming convetion. They're aware of how confusing things are and are working to a better naming convention. As new phones are announced/released, you'll see a more cohesive set of names emerge.

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with OP. When I first started to look into Windows Phones again I felt kinda lost. It feels like there are hundreds of Lumias and it's not that easy to navigate your way through. Since then I learned my way around because I enjoy it but honestly, from sipmple user point of view... I wouldn't bother.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I spoke with Microsoft at MWC about the naming convetion. They're aware of how confusing things are and are working to a better naming convention. As new phones are announced/released, you'll see a more cohesive set of names emerge.

And the 640xl is their first step in that direction? I guess they are still failing then.

Microsoft is too afraid to step away from all the horrible numbers Nokia created. It's an ancient method. It doesn't work for marketing.

With Windows 10 I also think they need new sub brand names. Lumia failed and stems from an era where it didn't grow market share and had app shortage. Windows 10 breaks with the past, ignoring Windows 9. New phones should have new sub brand names in each price category. For the general consumer it must feel like an overwhelming new experience. When they hear Lumia they will think "isn't that that phone that you returned to the store because it didn't have any apps?". Surface is the only sub brand name that can continue to exist. Maybe for the flagship or for a special version aimed at business.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

We've already had the Lumia Icon so lame generic names like Epic, Grand and Legend can't be far behind. Gag.

The Lumia is fine. It's not as great as when it had Nokia in front of it but it still stands for something. They just need to get back on track and make a device worthy of the name.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And the 640xl is their first step in that direction? I guess they are still failing then.

Microsoft is too afraid to step away from all the horrible numbers Nokia created. It's an ancient method. It doesn't work for marketing.

And:

Samsung
Galaxy Light
Galaxy S 6
Galaxy Note 4
Galaxy Core
Galaxy Alpha
Galaxy Tab 3
Galaxy Note Tab 3 7.0
Galaxy A5
Galaxy Young 2
Galaxy Pocket 2
Galaxy Ace 4
Galaxy J

is superior?

I'll keep my more fitting numbers thank you!
The 640 XL is exactly that, an XL 640. Less confusion than 1330, which is oddly higher than 930.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs