Are you going to take advantage of the free upgrade?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 free! Awesome, right?! But as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So will you take advantage of the free upgrade or do you like your Windows 7/8 computer just the way it is? My desktop with 8.1 will definitely get upgraded to 10. I'm still undecided on my Windows 7 desktop though. I'll probably upgrade my Toshiba Encore 2 as well.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Definitely! Really awesome of Microsoft to make it a free upgrade, I've thought about buying a windows 8 licence for my desktop but with free 10, why bother :)

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Dell all in one PC which I will definitely upgrade to windows 10. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop, which is starting to get full up, and by installing Windows 10, I'm hoping, I can wipe it clean and start fresh.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why I wouldn't upgrade my win 7 and win 8.1 pcs. Eventually they'll faze out win 7 support and I'll have to get win 10 anyway so why not take advantage of a free upgrade that's supposed to be the best of win 7 and win 8.1

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
My real question is if they'll upgrade 32-bit copies to 64-bit...my copy of W7 is 32-bit (and totally screwed up) so it needs a clean install badly

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The wording on the "free" Win 10 upgrade is literally that. An upgrade from an existing Windows 7 or 8/8.1 installation on your computer. If your computer is a 32 bit copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, for example, the upgrade to Windows 10 will be a 32 bit version similar in features to your copy of Home Premium. Same for Pro, Basic, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise editions. Assuming Microsoft releases that many editions for Windows 10. You'll likely end up getting a version closest in features to whatever you have installed already.

In short the upgrade path will be 32 bit to 32 bit, 64 bit to 64 bit, version to version. The only exception to this would be if you bought a specific version of Windows to upgrade to, and no, to answer a quick question, you cannot install a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit chipset, but you CAN install a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit chipset. The catch for that being you'll limit your computer to 4GB of usable RAM because that's the RAM limit for 32 bit computers. Hope this helps!

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'm now used to Windows 8.1, so there no going back to Windows 7 for me. I could stick to 8.1, but Windows 10 just seems to be better at pretty much everything, so there no reason not to upgrade. Especially since the upgrade is going to be free!

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to have a test computer running Win 10 TP right next to my production Win 8.1 PC. As as soon as Dell confirms my 8.1 model can be safely upgraded to 10, I'm upgrading. Ill miss the Apps screen but I like Continuum and the new Action Center.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Since my production Dell is 64 bit I won't be constrained by the 4 GB RAM limit either.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Dell desktop which I'd love to upgrade, but it's on XP, so I guess I don't get the option. My tablet is 8.1, which I think is perfect as it is. The laptop is 7, I think I'll upgrade that.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 PCs and a tablet currently running 8.1. They'll all get get the update when it's official. I'm not using the TP.

why not...I have the TP on my laptop build 9926 and so far I have no problem..I can see within that it is not everything that is working but for what I use it for, it is ok.
These days I use it pretty much for IE. Also used it to share the screen on my 52 inches TV along with the PTV 3000 using connect; work perfectly.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
why not...I have the TP on my laptop build 9926 and so far I have no problem..I can see within that it is not everything that is working but for what I use it for, it is ok.
These days I use it pretty much for IE. Also used it to share the screen on my 52 inches TV along with the PTV 3000 using connect; work perfectly.

I don't see a need for trying TP myself, but if you or others want to try it that's great. :smile:

The last time I ran any beta/RC/RTM Windows was when I ran those pre-release versions of 7. I had a need at the time. Vista was killing me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
All my laptops and the Surface Pro 3 will get W10 when it comes out. If it's free I'm getting it.

No I won't be trying the TP either. I can wait. My personal data and my work on the PCs are too important for me to be messing around with a TP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Whatever 8.1 devices I have at the time of 10's release will get it. My laptop is on 7 Ultimate and will probably remain there until you-know-where freezes over.

anon(391898)

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I'd rather keep my systems up-to-date than keep an old O/S on them. Our house has 2 laptops, 4 desktops, and a 1/2 dozen virtual machines primarily running 8.1 but a couple 7s in there. I'll probably do a gradual update process. Select one machine at a time, do the upgrade, give it a week or 2 then do the next. Got a year, so no real rush.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss