A Possible Solution to Bloatware on Windows Machines

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The main problem that plagues Windows machines is bloatware. Everyone reading this is probably aware of the issue, but recently I've been seeing many people asking for pre-installed software to be eliminated by making all devices Signature Edition. OEMs will never accept this prospect (otherwise prices will probably shoot up for cheaper tablets and computers), and if OEMs won't like it, Microsoft won't like it. A compromise must then be made. What if all pre-installed programs had to be WinRT applications? Since they are sandboxed, they shouldn't affect performance of the PC, other than storage space, and they would be much safer as a result. I'm sure that if the Superfish/Lenovo panic didn't already alarm potential Windows customers, something else will eventually be much worse. I created a uservoice suggestion so you can vote for it if you think it's a good idea, and if not, perhaps you can provide constructive criticism. Either way, I don't want to be forced to reinstall Windows from scratch every time I get a new device because of stupid, annoying programs that an OEM installed.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The main problem that plagues Windows machines is bloatware. Everyone reading this is probably aware of the issue, but recently I've been seeing many people asking for pre-installed software to be eliminated by making all devices Signature Edition. OEMs will never accept this prospect (otherwise prices will probably shoot up for cheaper tablets and computers), and if OEMs won't like it, Microsoft won't like it. A compromise must then be made. What if all pre-installed programs had to be WinRT applications? Since they are sandboxed, they shouldn't affect performance of the PC, other than storage space, and they would be much safer as a result. I'm sure that if the Superfish/Lenovo panic didn't already alarm potential Windows customers, something else will eventually be much worse. I created a uservoice suggestion so you can vote for it if you think it's a good idea, and if not, perhaps you can provide constructive criticism. Either way, I don't want to be forced to reinstall Windows from scratch every time I get a new device because of stupid, annoying programs that an OEM installed.
Gave 3votes !

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Bloatware on new PCs is a problem. We often remove at least some of it on the machines we sell. For some business customers we'll even reinstall Windows with a pure Windows disk to remove ALL of the bloatware.

HP and Toshiba seem to have the most bloatware. Sometimes notifications from the bloatware will pop up and make customers nervous, or they'll think something is wrong with their brand new computer. That's why we try to eliminate it.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My Lenovo Signature Edition has 3 bloatware, a mouse control panel, a Modern settings app, and a system update software. That should be enough.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I always hate when OEMs include their own WiFi software. Windows can manage WiFi connections just fine without help. I imagine the software is just so the OEM can track users.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Or just buy hardware from manufacturers who don't pre-install bloatware...?

I do, but the general public doesn't know about anything like "Signature Edition", and that's the issue. The public's perception of Windows has never been great, and this would, in part, solve the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro