CORTANA + iOS/Android and why you're WRONG!

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm OK with all this. I prefer Windows OS on phone so that's my first choice but it will be good to know that when I use my iPhone I'll still have great Microsoft services at my disposal.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
The increase of MS apps on other operating systems says to me that within the next two years Microsoft will bin Windows Phone, and get out of the phone hardware business.

If they have their software on other platforms and people are using it, then that's all they're really concerned about. And they'll have millions more users on Android and iOS than they could ever hope to get on Windows Phone.

Windows Phone was a worthy effort, even though a lot of the problems have been of their own making. But no company is going to continue pouring millions into a mobile platform year on year for single digit market share which still isn't really improving.

I still like WP. It's my OS of choice. But in all honesty, I prefered WP7. They just needed to fix the small number of things that were wrong with it, rather than these large changes to the OS that have removed a lot of what was great in WP7.

My contract is up soon, and for me it'll be down to whichever is released first, a flagship Lumia, or the next iPhone. Given that I'll be able to get all the MS services I want on iOS the choice of operating system doesn't mean much to me anymore.

This isn't a rant. Just how I see things as a consumer, and not a fan of either Apple or MS.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Releasing Cortana to other platforms could allow Microsoft to gather information on how users use (pardon the redundancy) "competitor" smart phones. This should provide MS additional information (and a lot of it!) they would need to further improve their services, which will then could be limited only to Windows Phones/Windows Devices. It's literally being able to gather real-time data from "competitor" markets. Sounds like a brilliant move to me

This!!!!!!! ^ ^

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well WP10 is around the corner, so those thinking of 'leaving WP' should do just that. Clear out the 'dead wood' so to speak....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So, imagine I have an Android phone. I install, say, Outlook, only to discover it's not so good on Android. Am I....

a) going to buy a Windows Phone so that I can have a better Outlook experience? - or-
b) install a better email app?

Hmm. I think the answer is obvious.

If you're using Outlook on Android you probably rely on it more than Gmail like I did when I had Android. If this is the case and Outlook is very important, the (A) is the right answer. Even with its limitations, Outlook on Android is the best solution for Exchange or Hotmail.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, let's put this into prospective.

This move if true.

Is a double edge sword, yes it will make MS more money, provide data for analytics & machine learning however on the flipside it is going to negatively impact those who are currently using Windows Phone. As why would should a user stay when if they move they get access to imessage, skype, office, google apps, cortana, official apps, a massive app catalogue and benefit of the ever growing the hardware ecosystem that just works. The same argument also applies to why a user would switch?

By extension the OEM's who haven't been really pushing windows phone most likely will feel Microsoft doesn't really care about their own phones, so why should they care?

As they too get access to Microsoft's apps and services via the Google play store even if it may not be bundled with their devices.

This I feel has evident as with the relaxed hardware requirements to enable them to use their android hardware and the 0 licensing fee for anything under 9", there hasn't been much push in terms of phones. Just the odd device here and there; nothing like what they push in the android arena.

Now we get to the nitty gritty, reps hardly push windows phone and with this move they can perpetuate:
"don't buy windows phone as even Microsoft doesn't care as they even put Cortana on competing platforms!"

" You can get office too and have access to Youtube, which you can't plain do on windows phone" (which of course we all know is a lie).

"Do you use snapchat? course you do, buy this (enter android model here) or iphone (enter model) stay away from Windows phone..it doesn't have snapchat and you get the benefit of office, cortana.. basically all of Microsoft's services".

In addition to this, the peer pressure to switch from windows phone with-in their social circle will increase.

In my opinion the move to put Cortana onto ios & android should ideally come (as Microsoft is a software & services company after all):
1) After she is globally available on windows - phones, tablets, PC's and xbox [As windows 10 is platform agonistic] (at least in English) without a beta or alpha tag
2) there is a steady addition of Universal apps including high profile apps coming into the store.
3) there are windows phone flagships from a variety of OEMs that the consumer can buy.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Can't agree enough! Not only that but it isn't even confirmed yet!

Okay, let's put this into prospective.

This move if true.

Is a double edge sword, yes it will make MS more money, provide data for analytics & machine learning however on the flipside it is going to negatively impact those who are currently using Windows Phone. As why would should a user stay when if they move they get access to imessage, skype, office, google apps, cortana, official apps, a massive app catalogue and benefit of the ever growing the hardware ecosystem that just works. The same argument also applies to why a user would switch?

By extension the OEM's who haven't been really pushing windows phone most likely will feel Microsoft doesn't really care about their own phones, so why should they care?

As they too get access to Microsoft's apps and services via the Google play store even if it may not be bundled with their devices.

This I feel has evident as with the relaxed hardware requirements to enable them to use their android hardware and the 0 licensing fee for anything under 9", there hasn't been much push in terms of phones. Just the odd device here and there; nothing like what they push in the android arena.

Now we get to the nitty gritty, reps hardly push windows phone and with this move they can perpetuate:
"don't buy windows phone as even Microsoft doesn't care as they even put Cortana on competing platforms!"

" You can get office too and have access to Youtube, which you can't plain do on windows phone" (which of course we all know is a lie).

"Do you use snapchat? course you do, buy this (enter android model here) or iphone (enter model) stay away from Windows phone..it doesn't have snapchat and you get the benefit of office, cortana.. basically all of Microsoft's services".

In addition to this, the peer pressure to switch from windows phone with-in their social circle will increase.

In my opinion the move to put Cortana onto ios & android should ideally come (as Microsoft is a software & services company after all):
1) After she is globally available on windows - phones, tablets, PC's and xbox [As windows 10 is platform agonistic] (at least in English) without a beta or alpha tag
2) there is a steady addition of Universal apps including high profile apps coming into the store.
3) there are windows phone flagships from a variety of OEMs that the consumer can buy.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Good move to be a services company but also making it's phone dept irrelevant.

personally I think MS should offer services like Outlook, Skype, Cortana to other platforms BUT a watered down version. having the top tier premium service on it's own OS.

edit: I also would like to see MS get it's services fully functioning on it's own platform before jumping to others... example Cortana only releasing in the U.S. first and slowly launching in other territories (Canada still doesn't have Cortana )

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, I do see their point but Cortana isn't even in a lot of markets yet!

Good move to be a services company but also making it's phone dept irrelevant.

personally I think MS should offer services like Outlook, Skype, Cortana to other platforms BUT a watered down version. having the top tier premium service on it's own OS.

edit: I also would like to see MS get it's services fully functioning on it's own platform before jumping to others... example Cortana only releasing in the U.S. first and slowly launching in other territories (Canada still doesn't have Cortana )

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, if this turns out to be true, it means Microsoft is going to gain a lot in terms of machine learning. It can also be an advertisement of what Cortana on Windows Phone can do. This is because, even if MS brings Cortana to iOS and Android, there is no way that Cortana will be deep linked to the OS in the same way as it is in WP.
So, at best, it will be limited to what Google Now can do on iOS, as an example. Even on Android, it is going to compete with Google Now but since Google Services are integrated so deeply into Android, it's difficult to replicate all that functionality with Cortana.
However, if MS convinces users of those OSes about how good Cortana is with respect to voice recognition or integration with reminders, or with pulling relevant information from emails, it might convince people to take a look at Windows Phone, where Cortana can do much more.

Lumiaphone525

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Cortana is powered by Bing. By introducing to others platform, MS can get their search engines become more functioning. But they must make sure all the current windows phone user got all the Cortana features, and not at some others countries.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people in this thread just don't like change, which is hardly anything new.

Microsoft has changed from a software company to a devices and services company. In order for them to be profitable as a business they need to offer their services to all devices on all platforms. This does not equal neglect or an indication that they have given up on their phone platform. Microsoft have gone on record several times saying that they are in the phone game for the long haul.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture here. Microsoft are creating a series of platforms where the user can have one experience no matter whether they are using a pc, phone or tablet. Everything will be synced up and you can leave one device and pick up where you left off on another. You will be able to do this in a more limited way using their apps for other platforms, but in order to get their full flavoured experience you will have to get their own devices.
As far as sales reps pushing other platforms this is likely regional. Where I live WP has around 10% market share and it's consistently being advertised as viable alternative to other platforms, sales reps here are getting more knowledge about WP and I've seen several recommending it over other platforms.

You can throw your temper tantrums now if you want to, and claim undying love for anything but Microsoft because you don't personally like the idea of other platforms having the same toys you do sure, but this isn't the place to do that, it's not a realistic world view and especially not for this thread.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The real issue is the average psychology of WP-fans. I mean it sounds like some people think their OS is inferior and have to compensate by "showing off" HERE, MixRadio, etc.

I haven't come to WP for the exclusivities, but for the experience. And I can compare : my daily driver is a 1020, and I have an iPhone 5S from work. On which I've installed Office, OneNote, etc.

Yes, the iOS apps have such a better design, but the W10TP previews we had in January show that we'll get the same, or better, on W10. Better: we won't have freemium features, unlike Android/iOS.

Now Cortana is coming to my iPhone. And so what? What will she do? The idea of Microsoft is that Cortana syncs across devices, which is not the case today (I can see that between my 535 and 1020). So the next logical step, is that I want my cortana reminders also on my office phone, is it an iphone, android or WP.

But Cortana, there, will be a standalone app. I'm pretty sure Apple and google will prevent MS from getting a deep integration as we already have on WP.

So what will happen? What ALREADY happens? If some WP fans were not so blinded that they whine all the time, that we're abandonned, that iOS/Android have the outlook app and we have nothing, well, if they were a bit less blinded, they would see:
a) we're getting the same on W10
b) go and read the oulook app comments on the apple store. Great app, so much better than the native one. But I'd like to have a better integration. In other words, "MS, bring your goodness across the user experience, the whole device, not only when I'm in that specific app". I've read this type of comments many times. What does it mean? Frustration, and maybe future customer being hooked.

Microsoft have nothing meaty to offer to iPhone/Android users today; they think the real competitor will be W10. So in the meanwhile, like drug dealers, they're spreading their apps to bait future switchers. And when people like the MS services, etc., and want a more consistent experience, they'll look at WP (W10 for phones that is).

Of course, it's a very dangerous strategy. These baits, they are Office, OneNote, Cortana, OneDrive. There's the risk of becoming the new blackberry. But desperate times require desperate strategy.

And if people are immature enough to choose an OS because of the exclusive apps, just to show off, without even focusing on the global experience (what Nadella calls "Where the MS experience is the best, the place you'll love to be at to enjoy our services"), they need to understand that their teenager-way of thinking is not business-compatible.

My 2 cts.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So the news of CORTANA coming to rival platform is practically confirmed and there is just so much outcry that not many of you are even considering to look at it from the other side. This is MY point of view:

In the recent months Microsoft has pushed for their services to be available on other platforms (Office, better Outlook app, Xbox Music and OneDrive) and this is according to their new strategy that moves from software to focus more on hardware and services (and we knew about that for months now). However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft! Yes maybe Office apps are little better right now on rival platforms, but the universal Office that is coming with W10 will make them look bleak. Going back to CORTANA, here the story WILL again be the same, although available on other platforms, it will not be as good as at "home". Microsoft clearly is doing a great doing, by opening their services to others because this creates something that have never existed for this company, which is the physical ability to "demo" what they have to offer for free to everyone, no matter the ecosystem. I do not understand the silly anger without any after thoughts, Windows phones are selling better than ever since all above has happened and Microsoft is literally flooding us with innovation... Surface, Windows 10, Hololens, Xbox ONE. I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Otherwise go ahead, chuck you WP and get your Android or iPhone and join parade of crying clowns there or maybe you fought their world is perfect ? ;)

mmmhhmm.. I'm not saying i will leave WP anytime soon. But let's just imagine two different scenarios.

Scenario 1:

Since Windows almost rules the PC/laptop world, we are sure after the release of W10, many people will have Cortana in their PC. Let's also imagine the consumers get addicted to the awesome features of it. That's when they think, hey what if this was also in my phone?! May be i should throw away my iPhone/Android device and should get a Windows Phone. And they buy a Windows Phone. Microsoft is clearly the winner here. Added bonus of Windows Phone's increasing market share. Because of that obviously more developers will start to take the platform seriously and they will create original apps for WP.

Scenario 2:

Since Windows almost rules the PC/laptop world, we are sure after the release of W10, many people will have Cortana in their PC. And the consumer loves the Cortana. Now he want it in his phone too. Thanks to Microsoft's intelligent idea, now it's available in iOS and Android too. So he will be happy with his current OS platform and will never think about Windows phones. And most probably iOS/Android versions of Cortana will be far better than WP version (Isn't that a tradition here?).

Now you guys tell me which Scenario will give Microsoft more money and profit. This is simple logic, unless 'data' about a person is going to be a currency in the future. May be that's why tech companies comes up with new apps which tracks your habbits and daily activities every day. May be that's what even MS's aim too. Race to be the Skynet in real life.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
@OP I hope you're right, I really do. And at this point is doesn't matter what we think, it seems MS has made up their mind.

I for one am not happy about sharing Cortana. There are two reasons for this. Have any other MS services on iAndroid help get people off those platforms onto a WP? I'm sure there are a few but I doubt there is enough of those people to even trigger a blip in that statistic if it were traceable. Second, and I saw a tweet on this to Microsoft and Nadella.....How are you supposed to feed and nourish your kids if you're too busy feeding all the neighbors kids?

With that said, everthing I hold sacred going to iAndroid will not cause me to jump the WP ship. I don't understand why people said "oh eff this, I'm going to Android now, no reason to stay." I never understood that. I will remain on WP because collectively it is still the best ecosystem and UI regardless if iAndroid has those features or not.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So the news of CORTANA coming to rival platform is practically confirmed and there is just so much outcry that not many of you are even considering to look at it from the other side. This is MY point of view:

In the recent months Microsoft has pushed for their services to be available on other platforms (Office, better Outlook app, Xbox Music and OneDrive) and this is according to their new strategy that moves from software to focus more on hardware and services (and we knew about that for months now). However a thing to note is the fact that these apps are not always so great in the way of design and they do not feel as natural as on Windows (both on phones and PC) and therefore if you really want the greatest experience, look no further but back to Microsoft! Yes maybe Office apps are little better right now on rival platforms, but the universal Office that is coming with W10 will make them look bleak. Going back to CORTANA, here the story WILL again be the same, although available on other platforms, it will not be as good as at "home". Microsoft clearly is doing a great doing, by opening their services to others because this creates something that have never existed for this company, which is the physical ability to "demo" what they have to offer for free to everyone, no matter the ecosystem. I do not understand the silly anger without any after thoughts, Windows phones are selling better than ever since all above has happened and Microsoft is literally flooding us with innovation... Surface, Windows 10, Hololens, Xbox ONE. I know better after being under this ecosystem for years that whatever Microsoft is doing these days means great things to come, as long as you trust them as they trust you, senseless ranting is not needed.

Otherwise go ahead, chuck you WP and get your Android or iPhone and join parade of crying clowns there or maybe you fought their world is perfect ? ;)
If the apps on android and IOS are better than WP, what's the point of owning a WP. I can handwrite my notes on android and IOS but not on WP. I can see my notes when I pin them in android but I only see the title of the notes in WP. If things don't change with windows 10 I'm sure windows phone, people will leave. Why stay with the inferior platform?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If the apps on android and IOS are better than WP, what's the point of owning a WP. I can handwrite my notes on android and IOS but not on WP. I can see my notes when I pin them in android but I only see the title of the notes in WP. If things don't change with windows 10 I'm sure windows phone, people will leave. Why stay with the inferior platform?

Simple.

It's long term strategy. Ms realize that fighting head on at these marker would be very hard. Rather than spending resource and money on low percentage of succeeding. They play long game. Today people way too stick with google service by gradually convert people to ms service it would be more easy to make them buy windows based devices than android devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb