CORTANA + iOS/Android and why you're WRONG!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Your elevator analogy isn't really apt.

Yes I know it wasn't the best analogy. What I was trying to say is that Cortana is referred to as the holy grail for the other platforms, when both of them already have an equivalent. Well, Siri isn't nearly to its level, but Google Now is. It's true; Cortana is a great product and it's not (yet) on Android and iOS, but it's not like those platforms don't have something similar.

The way I read the fan comments about Cortana being eagerly anticipated on the other platforms is like if I say, "I'm going to stay at the Sheraton because it has a very nice elevator manufactured by Otis. Holiday Inn doesn't have one." I'd be implying that Holiday Inn has NO elevator. The way Cortana going to iOS and Android is talked about here, an outsider who has no knowledge of smartphone platforms reading this would think that Android and iOS have nothing in that department.

Cortana and Google Now are different products, yes, but they do the same job.

HidingTrouble

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
The way Cortana going to iOS and Android is talked about here, an outsider who has no knowledge of smartphone platforms reading this would think that Android and iOS have nothing in that department.

Do you really think an outsider with no knowledge of smartphones is this deep into the WindowsCentral forums? Plus that has nothing to do with my point. I'm saying bring Cortana to Android not because she is superior, that's in the eye of the beholder. Bring her to Android because even if 1% do find her superior over Google Now, that's 1% of mobile search taken away from them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think an outsider with no knowledge of smartphones is this deep into the WindowsCentral forums?

No I don't. All of us here know that Microsoft has Cortana, Android has Google Now, and Apple has Siri. The way this deal about Cortana going to Android and iOS is presented by fans here, it leaves the idea that it's a long awaited addition to those platforms because they don't have it. The implication is given that they don't have anything like it. It's technically true that Android & iOS don't have Cortana, but they do have their own equivalents.

To take this further, I question whether it'll be used much, at least on Android. We do have somewhat of a precedent with Google Now on iOS. It would be interesting to know how many iOS users actually use Google Now. We could take that as a preview of how well Cortana will be adopted.

In a nutshell, I think that a lot of fans are looking at Cortana that way, as fans. Its fans cannot imagine anybody NOT drooling over Cortana! That's not the case. I use them both and I know what both are capable of. While Cortana is great and I love it, I'm not planning to use it on my Android. While it does a fantastic job on WP, it is certainly not advanced enough to replace Google Now on Android. Not to mention it probably won't get access to Android & iOS like it does to WP. I doubt whether it'll be as capable as it is on WP.

Like I said before, I'm looking forward to watching this all spin out. Hang on for the ride! :wink:

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd like someone to tell me point by point how MS services are better on other platforms. No blanket statements, facts. I'd prefer screenshots if possible.

Show me how to send an email from Windows Phone Outlook with a photo, an Excel spreadsheet, a Word doc and a PDF file attached in the same email.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Show me how to send an email from Windows Phone Outlook with a photo, an Excel spreadsheet, a Word doc and a PDF file attached in the same email.

Sent from my awesome Lumia 735

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150317_0005.png
    wp_ss_20150317_0005.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 6
  • wp_ss_20150317_0006.png
    wp_ss_20150317_0006.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 6
  • wp_ss_20150317_0007.png
    wp_ss_20150317_0007.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 6

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well WP10 is around the corner, so those thinking of 'leaving WP' should do just that. Clear out the 'dead wood' so to speak....

I've never understood this "scorched earth" line of thinking. If you truly love WP and want to see it succeed, rather than showing everyone the door you should be alarmed at the number of people who are fed up and deciding to leave.

If market share continues to decline as it has, I fear that Microsoft will not find value in investing resources into anything resembling a high-end handset and continue to crap out low end plastic, at best, or, at worst, get out of manufacturing handsets altogether - knowing that Microsoft users can go anywhere and still use their apps and services. This is good for Microsoft (and me as an iPhone user), but not good for @Geddeeee if he wants to continue to consume his MS apps and services on a shiny new Windows Phone for years to come.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I've never understood this "scorched earth" line of thinking. If you truly love WP and want to see it succeed, rather than showing everyone the door you should be alarmed at the number of people who are fed up and deciding to leave.

If market share continues to decline as it has, I fear that Microsoft will not find value in investing resources into anything resembling a high-end handset and continue to crap out low end plastic, at best, or, at worst, get out of manufacturing handsets altogether - knowing that Microsoft users can go anywhere and still use their apps and services. This is good for Microsoft (and me as an iPhone user), but not good for @Geddeeee if he wants to continue to consume his MS apps and services on a shiny new Windows Phone for years to come.

Thanks for the 'clarification', but it's JUST A PHONE... I'm not really interested about platforms or market share. The bottom line is: Does this device do what I want it to do.... Matters not whether it is WP or Android or anything else... It's a gadget....

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the 'clarification', but it's JUST A PHONE... I'm not really interested about platforms or market share. The bottom line is: Does this device do what I want it to do.... Matters not whether it is WP or Android or anything else... It's a gadget....

Referring to people who choose to move from WP to other platforms as 'dead wood' would suggest otherwise.

HidingTrouble

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually there is precedent for this on Android already. It's the Bing app. I've downloaded it to my Note 4 and I've set it to my default search when I long press the home key. So I can see them easily just making it Cortana.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

My comment was directed at those who claim that Microsoft services work better on other platforms. Without the benefit of 3rd party apps, you can't attach multiple files from Outlook and I've stated as such many times on these boards.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My comment was directed at those who claim that Microsoft services work better on other platforms. Without the benefit of 3rd party apps, you can't attach multiple files from Outlook and I've stated as such many times on these boards.

That was kind of my point. The iOS version of Office allows you to attach multiple files. In that particular case, the non-Windows Phone version works better than the Windows Phone version (until W10). I did not realize until yesterday, however, that there were 3rd party options to accomplish this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That was kind of my point. The iOS version of Office allows you to attach multiple files. In that particular case, the non-Windows Phone version works better than the Windows Phone version (until W10). I did not realize until yesterday, however, that there were 3rd party options to accomplish this.

Not quite.

The Apple version of office only allows you to attach a link from OneDrive.

Since Apple does not have a file manager you cannot attach just the actual document, only a link.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Not quite.

The Apple version of office only allows you to attach a link from OneDrive.

Since Apple does not have a file manager you cannot attach just the actual document, only a link.

Are you talking about multiple files or just one? I don't have any problem sending a word document as an attachment using Office on iPhone. (pics are in reverse order)

20150320_010729000_iOS.jpg20150320_010714000_iOS.jpg20150320_010718000_iOS.jpg20150320_010725000_iOS.jpg20150320_010721000_iOS.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand why you people care about Cortana appearing on other platforms.

1. If Cortana is so good, isn't it good for humanity that more people will get the chance to use it? Denying the large majority of people access to this supposedly fabulous technology simply because of their choice of mobile phone seems cruel.

2. Android and iOS already have voice control that few people bother to use. Why do you think anyone will care much about Cortana on those platforms?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786