Why Microsoft's strategy is good and the only way.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Lots of fans seem upset because they don't understand why iOS and Android are getting Cortana, and why they already got an Outlook app etc.
I think Daniel Rubino or Richard Devine needs to write an article on windowscentral to explain why this is a genius strategy. People need to be educated on MS's vision. The whine and shortsightedness from all these people needs to stop. It is not a good vibe for the community and it is super annoying. Heck, even many tech websites don't understand MS's vision. Things need to be made clear.

Daniel or Richard, you both probably understand MS's vision so I bet you can explain it perfectly because you are better writers. Anyway, here is my take on it. I hope you can explain it better.

Windows phone is in a very difficult position. It came late and it's impossible for it to gain market share of significance. Not Cortana nor any other features will bring over people. At most a couple of nerds will. Normal people will stick to their iPhones and Android phones. Their mindshare out their is too much against Windows. iPhone is too hip and too much of a status symbol. Android has too much market share and dominates. A few tricks and cool features really won't bring people to Windows phone. We have to accept that Windows phone is stuck in a dead corner. Stores don't even want to sell it. The app problem will continue to exist for a long time.

Now comes Microsoft genius strategy. They are smarter than many of the companies who would simply die, like blackberry for example. They are not going to fight a lost battle. It is useless to invest only in Windows phone because people are not going to try them anyway, thus market share won't grow.

So they need to work via other routes. They know people have no Windows phones, but they do have PC's and laptops where they still need to do work on and be productive on. They see the danger of people switching to alternatives. They switch from Skype to Hangouts, from Office to Google docs or other free alternatives. Why? Because all that stuff is on their phones and it’s free. And it works well enough for them. Microsoft might lose all.

Sure, business still depends on Windows, and many people do with Office etc. But what is popular in people’s spare time, when they have fun at home, that stuff will resonate into the offices and into the business world. Look at iPads. They were inferior. But they were fun for people. They bought them to toy at home. And then people at the office say “can’t we have iPads here?”. And so they found their way into the office world. Even though they suck to be productive. So whatever people use in their daily lives, especially in their free time, that stuff gets a positive association in their brains. Windows is in their minds related to boring office work. So all this stuff like Android and Apple stuff will find a way to penetrate business. It will kill Windows. Not now, not in 5 years. This process can easily take 15-20 years. But it will happen. Microsoft needs to fix this.

How they fix this? It is impossible to fix this with Windows phones. They can’t win this battle. They have to bring their cool experiences to people where they are. People are on Windows PC’s, Windows laptops, iPhones, iPads, Android phones and Android tablets. You see, Microsoft is still lucky people are still on Windows PC’s and laptops. They have to utilize this fact. But they are also elsewhere. So they bring Windows 10. Windows 10 will work perfectly across all devices. But can all these people experience that? No they can’t. Because they have a Windows PC and a Galaxy. Or a Windows laptop and an iPhone. So this will render their experience inferior. They will miss out on the magic. But here is the fix. Microsoft brings these experiences to their Apple/Android phones and tablets. Now they experience how good Windows 10 is, and how good these services communicate with their phones. Now they will like Microsoft a lot more. And they will stick to MSOffice, use OneDrive, Outlook etc. Thus Windows 10 will be a success. Microsoft can survive and doesn’t die.

Now everybody thinks Windows phone is ignored and left behind. Let me explain why this is true and why this is the only way and why it doesn’t matter.
Yes Windows phone will die in a sense. But it doesn’t matter. It will be replaced by Windows 10. They are making new Outlooks, Skype and Office apps all for Windows 10. And they will be better than on Android and iOS. Do you people really expect Microsoft should make those apps for Windows phone now? That would be insanely stupid because in a few months they would have to throw all that work away because we will get Windows 10 anyway. They would have to do useless double work. So we are simply forced to wait until we get all these new apps at once with Windows 10. This is a small sacrifice we must make. Yes Android and iOS will already get them, but this is necessary because those apps need a couple of months to grow on those people. Once more and more people use these MS services, when they will upgrade to Windows 10 on their PC's and laptops, their experience will instantly be good. Because they already have these apps. That’s why it is important they already get them now. And we can’t get them now because like I said, they would have to make something for Windows phone and ditch it again with Windows 10. It would be a useless investment.

Once Windows 10 is out, the device doesn’t matter anymore. You can scream all you want “they will kill windows phone” but it is an impossible scream. There is nothing to kill. Windows 10 can be on any screen size. So it is effortless and really easy for Microsoft to continue Windows 10 on smaller devices. It is just a small amount of extra work. Because all the work they do will pay off for any screen size. Make once and experience everywhere. They cannot kill Windows phones because the new Windows phones will be Windows 10 phones. If they would kill that there would also be no more Windows. And they cannot discontinue Windows, that would kill MS as a whole. So Windows simply continues. It doesn’t take much extra work power to make Windows available on smaller screens. And there you have it, a phone. Make a little bigger screen and there you have it, a phablet. Make it bigger and you got a tablet. It is so easy for them that it takes few investment to continue any form factor. Thus none of the form factors will die. They make it cheap to continue Windows phones.

And now the fun part. When Windows 10 is out with all the new apps, the Outlook and Skype apps etc. will be up to par with their Android/iOS counterparts and probably have even more features and integration. From this moment on we will get new features and updates first. Trust me. From this moment we get extra integration, a better experience. Microsoft will advertise with that. People love their Windows 10 PC’s and laptops but will realize their phones make the experience less optimized. From this moment, 2016 and forward people will start switching to Windows phones. To get the full experience and because the app gap is closing because of the bigger market share MS has with its W10 across all devices.
So WP fans, you have to look forward and realize where this is going and what the dangers are if MS wouldn’t do this. This is the only way. It is a long term plan to make sure MS survives in mobile space. Yes we do sacrifice now. It is a long wait until W10, but it is the only way.

Windows on Phones is here to stay. It just takes a while for us to profit from it.

Last edited:

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
And now the fun part. When Windows 10 is out with all the new apps, the Outlook and Skype apps etc. will be up to par with their Android/iOS counterparts and probably have even more features and integration. From this moment on we will get new features and updates first. Trust me. From this moment we get extra integration, a better experience. Microsoft will advertise with that. People love their Windows 10 PC?s and laptops but will realize their phones make the experience less optimized. From this moment, 2016 and forward people will start switching to Windows phones.

Microsoft doesn't depend on Windows, the company has more important revenue sources. The survival of Windows is not the primary objective for Microsoft, if they have to sacrifice Windows to make more money in other businesses they would do it without doubts. The reason to port the services to other platforms is to have access to 2 billion users and make money from them. It's not a master plan to save Windows.

Microsoft's services have to be better than pre-installed alternatives in the other platforms to motivate the users to download the apps. Integration with the OS can't be a key feature of the services, because in that case Microsoft's services wouldn't be competitive in the other platforms.
So, if services have to be incredible good in the other platforms and they can't depend on the OS, how could they be better on Windows?

There is nothing to kill. Windows 10 can be on any screen size. So it is effortless and really easy for Microsoft to continue Windows 10 on smaller devices. It is just a small amount of extra work. Because all the work they do will pay off for any screen size. Make once and experience everywhere. They cannot kill Windows phones because the new Windows phones will be Windows 10 phones. If they would kill that there would also be no more Windows. And they cannot discontinue Windows, that would kill MS as a whole. So Windows simply continues. It doesn?t take much extra work power to make Windows available on smaller screens.

The development cost of the OS is relatively small, that's why there are so many mobile OSs. The biggest costs are the distribution of millions of phones worldwide and the ecosystem. Microsoft could develop the most amazing mobile OS, but if they don't invest billions in marketing and distribution, and in paying app developers to port their apps, nobody would use that amazing OS.
Even if Windows phone share 99% of its source code with desktop Windows, the OS could still die.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone ( Nokia 620) Is set to English but because I live in Germany I do not yet have Cortana. If other platforms get Cortana be for I do I done with windows Phone and Windows.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
MSFTs stretegy is good, but for them, not for users.
I bought windows phone (one of many reasons) because I wanted to be able to open my student documents and presentations on my phone and be able to look,read and edit them on the go. It was one of it's main ad things. Then, soon I see that it can't open some .docs that Office on Android could. It doesn't show equations and some images, messed up text on presentations. Ok, I'll wait for update. 8.1, 8.1.1, pfd updates, not a single update for office on WP. There isn't excuse they couldn't , they had to do make office upgradeable.
While on Lagdroid...
Then lets say I switch to Android and MSFT brings more their stuff on Andy. Why would I come back?
I'm not that much disapointed with lack of updates as with much better support on other platforms. I thought MSFT will care a little bit more about satisfaction of users , but it is all about money milking, as it was always with MSFT and Windows.
Only thing that is still keeping me with this os is easy navigation, and stable os, every selling point of WP as office, Here suite, quickness, unique, etc is gifted to other platforms.The description of WP as non lagging is gone cause of underdeveliped apps..
Seriously thinking of switching and never coming back.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't depend on Windows, the company has more important revenue sources. The survival of Windows is not the primary objective for Microsoft, if they have to sacrifice Windows to make more money in other businesses they would do it without doubts. The reason to port the services to other platforms is to have access to 2 billion users and make money from them. It's not a master plan to save Windows.

You are stuck on this notion that mobile computing is the end all, be all. If there's no Windows, where do desktop users go? Windows IS Microsoft.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft's strategy is correct.

Most people are lazy, they won't switch just because of small features or easy of use. You have to make something significantly better than others to persuade people to switch. It is really hard to do some really impressive things with smartphones, so instead of focusing on the smartphones, MS focuses on the next big thing.

Wearable, flexible screen devices, artificial intelligence are the future. Nobody wants to make several version of a single app, just to keep it running on different sizes of devices. Microsoft is trying to provide a best platform for developers. If windows 10 succeed, windows 10 for phone will become more popular as a part of windows 10. Releasing apps on IOS/android is the first step to make windows 10 successful, they have to do it, even it is painful in short term.

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have been using windows phone since Windows Phone 7 back in 2010 and I am now waiting to see what Windows Phone 10 will bring before I jump ship.

The reason for this is simply due to lack of developer commitment. This doesn't mean an app gap as the majority of the apps I need and that my friends use are now available on Windows Phone the problem is that they are not kept up to date and are missing the features that are available on other platforms. The problem is that Microsoft pushed and or assisted developers in making apps for Windows phone however nothing was done in terms of keeping the up to date. Look at IMDB that was launched back in 2010 on Windows Phone 7 and I think it has had one update in over 4 years. But who can blame them, developers see Microsoft themselves developing apps for other platforms and keeping them more up to date than Windows Phone, so why would a developer be any different.

In addition to this you have large corporations which are now starting to remove their apps from the store and blocking access to Windows Phone. It will be hard to think that these organisations will suddenly turn around and then start supporting the platform again in 6 months when Windows 10 is available.

Yes Windows 10 on phones does dangle a big carrot for developers by having the ability for true universal apps that can run on billions of hardware however the damage could already been done with developers and we do not know how many customers will even upgrade their PC's to Windows 10.

If developers don't fully embrace Windows 10 within the first 6 months of it being launched the I am will be abandoning the platform and will switch to an iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers