MS Confirms Internet Explorer to be Killed Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft confirms it's killing off the Internet Explorer brand with Windows 10

Internet Explorer is not a popular name when it comes to browsers, and Microsoft has tried various things to boost brand recognition of their browser and improve its reputation. Recently, the company confirmed that Internet Explorer is going away for good. While speaking at Microsoft's Convergence yesterday, the company's marketing chief Chris Capossela said the company is looking for a new name and brand for their browser.

"We?re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We?ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we?ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."

Although the company is killing the Internet Explorer brand, it will not go away completely. It will exist in some form for enterprises, but the new Project Spartan will be the default browser for users in Windows 10 when it comes to web access. Project Spartan comes with a number of enticing new features such as extension support, reader mode, annotation abilities, Cortana integration and much more. We've offered our readers a closer look at some of the features which will be introduced with the new browser, which you can check out here.

Well there ya go. Not a surprise but I guess it is official. It was said that IE would kick around in Win10 along with Spartan, but it is more obvious that IE is only going to be around long enough for Spartan to get its kinks out and stable and then IE will head to the landfill to be piled on top of the AOL floppy disk mountain.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you read the article and not just the headline, you'll see the MS marketing chief is quoted as saying:

"We?ll continue to have Internet Explorer,"

Continue to have != kill off.

IE won't be the default browser, but it will still be there, and based on the representatives own words (not the bloggers interpretation) will still be called IE.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you read the article and not just the headline, you'll see the MS marketing chief is quoted as saying:

"We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer,"

IE won't be the default browser, but it will still be there, and based on the representatives own words (not the bloggers interpretation) will still be called IE.
I guess what they mean by "killing off" now is that it'll be relegated to the background, which is actually slightly fitting if you consider that IE is "dead" from the eyes of the tech press.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep.
But if you've got two slices of the pie and a novelty factor too, that might not be a bad thing.
Plus they might try their luck at sticking one to the EU antitrust rulings around defaulting IE.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

"We?ll continue to have Internet Explorer,"

Tossing it into the background and no longer being the default browser is the first stage of killing it off.

Some knowhow folk will no doubt know it still exists and know how to switch it to being the primary browser..... But

#1 - Would they Bother

And

#2 - For everybody else who isn't so computer literate, they most likely won't bother to use anything other than what is in front of them. These are the same people who couldn't figure out how the Windows 8 Start Button worked, despite being shown a full screen tutorial the moment you create an account on your system.

Oh and

#3 - If people are not using Spartan, then they're using Chrome or Firefox..... I'm the only person I know who actually uses IE today while everybody else is on Chrome.

IE will be included up until Spartan has all its main problems sorted out and users make the transition to the new default browser, in case something critical or unexpected comes up with the new browser..... And then it will just sit there in the background to be forgotten about like the Starfield Screensaver or MSN Messenger on XP.

And eventually MS will come out with some notification stating that IE has some security flaw and send out a patch to simply remove it..... And only but 30 odd people around the world would care.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Tossing it into the background and no longer being the default browser is the first stage of killing it off.
To a degree, yes, but IE still isn't going anywhere soon. The only way that would make sense is if you're consciously ignoring the entire enterprise space. Even if this was the first step to IE being killed off, reporting it as such is still very premature, IMHO squarely in click-bait territory.
It's also important to clearly state that nobody from MS is supporting your claim, as they actually said the exact opposite: "We'll still have IE".
This is a consumer website, so we're obviously more focused on the consumer side. If that's all you care about, and it's you're intention to consciously and deliberately ignore everything else, then I'd say that's a very narrow view, but one I would agree with. In the consumer space this is the first step to killing IE... but for that death to occur consumers must all transition to W10... considering that is likely to take a decade... yeah... I'm sure you get my drift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3