Is the "using your phone as a PC" thing possible?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having read through the thread, some aren't considering a major flaw with this concept and that is the wear and tear on the battery. With many flagships these days with non-removable batteries... it could prove to be rather expensive in the long run if your not into prying open the phone and replacing the battery yourself. Not to mention you run the risk of damaging the other components.

Besides why complicate matters with a dock when you can go all wireless with Bluetooth, Miracast and Qi Wireless charging :p.

Personally an x86 phone is redundant when you can get a decent 7" tablet running full windows + proper applications, with a micro SD card slot, mini hdmi / display port, miracast support and have a stonking big battery to boot for less than a mid range phone.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437500/TW800_Tablet_-_Black

If anything a tablet with LTE + Stylus support would do the job and it would be a more enjoyable experience.

Convenient? yes, practical? no.

Edit: Would you look at that, I guess those who wanted the functionality can now celebrate :). While I go place the winbook in my wish list :p.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-phone-supports-usb-mass-storage-peripherals

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the "using your phone as a PC" thing possible?

Okay, just out of curiosity, a question to those who think this idea will take off:

What Win32 desktop applications do you think will make this a mass market consumer success? Which Win32 software applications will it be that convinces the masses they need an x86 windows phone, rather than their iPhones, Androids and W10M tablet/desktop apps like Touch Office?

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's what I'm talking about. Add an LTE radio to that, it's a phone. But still a computer.

Well.. if that's what you want... :winktongue:

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8.jpg

I was actually referring to mobile internet.

Okay, just out of curiosity, a question to those who think this idea will take off:

What Win32 desktop applications do you think will make this a mass market consumer success? Which Win32 software applications will it be that convinces the masses they need an x86 windows phone, rather than their iPhones and Androids?

I know just the one Photoshop! /s :winktongue:

Seriously though... I don't think many have thought beyond what they envisage as their perfect set up.

I mean what next? Hyper-V on a phone? Come on... were do you draw the line lol. Besides like you I'm also interested to see what those who are advocating this say in response to your question.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site

What Win32 desktop applications do you think will make this a mass market consumer success? Which Win32 software applications will it be that convinces the masses they need an x86 windows phone, rather than their iPhones and Androids?

I am not talking about x86 windows phone, but the future win10 phone running universal app.
iphone/android doesn't have windows mode, but win10 does. They can only show one app at a time (some android OEM start to add multitask, but still no window mode), but win10 can show several at a time.

If win10 phones have an extra desktop mode (activated by docking), it will be a huge advantage over android/iphone. Having this functionality doesn't mean you have to use, it doesn't hurt if you only use it as a phone. However, for people who like this function, win10 phone will very likely to be their choice. Just look how many people are using stylus and keyboard for their iphone/ipad/android, you will get an idea how many people may be interested in this desktop mode.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I am not talking about x86 windows phone, but the future win10 phone running universal app.

Which is exactly what I've been saying since the start of this thread. There I do see potential.
There are plenty of others calling for an x86 Win32 desktop on a phone however. My question was directed at them.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

What Win32 desktop applications do you think will make this a mass market consumer success? Which Win32 software applications will it be that convinces the masses they need an x86 windows phone, rather than their iPhones, Androids and W10M tablet/desktop apps like Touch Office?

Call of Duty. XD

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Call of Duty. XD

lol, I'd be sold in a second if that was realistic. I'd also have a portable monitor with me at all times and never get any work done again for the rest of my life 😉

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site

Which is exactly what I've been saying since the start of this thread. There I do see potential.
There are plenty of others calling for an x86 Win32 desktop on a phone however. My question was directed at them.

Yes, people can get confused with futuristic ideas. We have to wait and see, if they can release a working (and works well) flagship fulfill this idea. Once we have the actual device to talk as a reference, it will be much easier for people to accept.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

lol, I'd be sold in a second if it was realistic. I'd also have a portable monitor with me at all times and never get any work done again for the rest of my life 😉

Hmm, sounds like an application for HoloLens. Lol. That sounds epic and terrifying at the same time. XD.

Vinit Pratap

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

iphone/android doesn't have windows mode, but win10 does. They can only show one app at a time (some android OEM start to add multitask, but still no window mode), but win10 can show several at a time.

^This. That would be true multitasking and at some extent removes the need of x86-Windows on phones. If we need more power for win32 software "real" computers are already there for.
If you want to play COD or do heavy resource work you've got your gaming PC or workstation and for the rest of the scenario involving less power you've got your Windows 10 Phone which seamlessly switches to big screen as you dock(or may be stream wirelessly). So what picture I see in this way is you get tablet+phone in your Windows Phone and I know this is not revolutionary new.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about you BUT having a desktop option on W10 phone is a big deal for me. The tiles start screen in W8 did not bother me so much like it did many others. But MS got rid of the tiles on desktop because power users did not want it along with many consumers. So why would they want tiles on their phones also. I would prefer a start screen with icons than can be resized with live tile capabilities and give me a simple taskbar so I can pin 4 or 5 apps to it. In the case of the start screen, android got it right.
I agree with your points

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an HP ElitePad that I took on an international business trip last year, instead of my killer, but heavy laptop workstation. It has usb, HDMI, SD slot, etc. With a Bluetooth headset, I could manage calls via Lync or HP MyRoom. Only thing it needs is a SIM slot and LTE. For business users this would be the bomb. Size would be the interesting factor. I'd go with a 7 or 8" dockable immediately as long as it could pair multiple Bluetooth devices

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo