Windows Hello mini rant

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Voice recognition. If that's not there, they're missing millions of pcs and tablets.

What do you mean with that. That you can be identified if you say something. I do not really believe that this is safe enough.
Because i can not belief that you can be identified "100%" by saying one word. And if you have to say a "long" sentence it will not really be useful or what happens if you get a cold or have a parrot (who can mimic your voice ��)

Last edited:

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Like "Open Sesame"? That is an interesting idea, not secure but interesting and funny.
It should be possible, since we are already able to wake up phones with "hey cortana".

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Not without SUPERIOR voice recognition. Like Touch id. It's breakable, but secure.

indeed the problem is SUPERIOR voice recognition. Touch id works with fingerprints which are digitized and that can be done now relative easy.
But how can a consumer product filter out all kind of background "noise" and get a "foolproof " fingerprint of your voice within a few seconds because i do not want to talk several minutes to my PC before he lets me in.

So the only "voice recognition" which would be reasonable safe would be a kind of sign language but then again your mini rant was I think about PC's and tablets without camera's.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not without SUPERIOR voice recognition. Like Touch id. It's breakable, but secure.

Anything to back that up with? Everything I've ever learned about voice recognition says it's utterly useless as an authentication method due to being very easily bypassed.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
^ It also sounds like something anybody could bypass using a 1980 tape recorder.

I guess if a 1980 tape recorder had to be used it could be safe because "nobody" has one anymore.

PS This remark is meant as a funny remark so please no serious replies.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Big toeprint recognition.

If Windows Hello doesn't have that they're missing billions of users and it means Hello is completely useless!

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Big toeprint recognition.

If Windows Hello doesn't have that they're missing billions of users and it means Hello is completely useless!

lol... seriously though,.. It IS just a scanner so probably quite possible to teach the scanner a toe print and label it a finger..

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I guess if a 1980 tape recorder had to be used it could be safe because "nobody" has one anymore.

PS This remark is meant as a funny remark so please no serious replies.

Serious reply anyway:
I'm an 80s tape recorder and I find this racist.
Very serious /s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon