Is it Free or Not and for How Long?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There have been some conflict and confusion regarding the release of Windows 10 and how "free" it is. Many have stated that if the upgrade to Windows 10 is made within the first year of release, no other purchase is necessary, making Windows 10 free for life. This would mean anyone upgrading to W10 after the first year of release has to pay.

There there have been some citing that Windows 10 is free for only the first year as a promotion, then a purchase must be made. Even a recent article here by Windows Central staff regarding W10 stated, "By giving away Windows 10 for free, at least for the first year...."

So which is it?

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The former. If you upgrade to Windows 10 in the first year then it's free and you can run that free copy for as long as you like, no cost.

If you upgrade after the first year then you will have to pay for the upgrade.

That is what the Windows Central article says too, it's just worded differently & some people have misinterpreted it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Think of it this way.

Windows 10 has no subscription option, its a one-time fee.

In the first year after launch the price is $0.
After that year, the price is back to normal for those who have not upgraded yet.
for those who upgraded already, they continue as usual, no fee.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
yeah, not sure how some people assumed that it's free for the 1st year then you have to pay. that makes zero sense.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not just talking non-genuine copies. I too understand that as long as you upgrade within the first year W10 is free forever. But there is a lot of the contrary from the general public, and it can be seen everywhere: TheVerge, USAToday Tech, and even 9Gag forums. A LOT of people state that it's only free for the first year.

And it would make sense for some people to believe that it is true. This business model is used everywhere (credit car deals, cable TV, buying an auto, etc...) where something is free or low priced for X amount of time to bait you in, then you'll have to pay full price.

MS needs to clear the air, particularly if it is free for life if you install W10 within the first 365. They are missing a great opportunity to be looked upon with public admiration.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and these people are the issue.... it's been made clear on various sites and forums, and yet they still think there will be a charge after a year. i classify these people with the people that refuse to use Windows 8 because of the modern UI and have yet to even try it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
and these people are the issue.... it's been made clear on various sites and forums, and yet they still think there will be a charge after a year. i classify these people with the people that refuse to use Windows 8 because of the modern UI and have yet to even try it.

people assume the worst with Microsoft, since its eviler and moneygrubbing as opposed to the all charitable Google and hip Apple. (despite all being for profit corporations)

(read: people assuming educational RT donations were to clear stock, yet never throw that around with Chromebooks)

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

In their defense, the new flat UI *does* suck pretty bad. I hate pretty much all of what is being called 'modern' - lazy is what it is. Android has always been ugly; iOS was ruined with 7.0; and Windows was ruined with 8.0. I can't wait until the flat fad passes and we get back to UIs with some character. I know it's not a popular opinion right now, but I don't care. And get off my lawn! ;)

--sent from a Windows 8.1 tablet. :|

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I think that first year thing is BS, It's just to accelerate the migration. Once the first year is over they will extend the offer indefinitely.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that first year thing is BS, It's just to accelerate the migration. Once the first year is over they might extend the offer indefinitely.

FTFY.
Although becoming a free upgrade permanently wont come as a major surprise. (read: Xbone holiday discount)

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait until the flat fad passes and we get back to UIs with some character. I know it's not a popular opinion right now, but I don't care. And get off my lawn! ;)

Ha ha, well that's fair enough but I really don't want to go back to Aero. I think stock standard Windows & Windows Phone 8 were maybe a step too far, a little bland and a little cheap/unfinished looking at times, but one thing it does do is highlight the text & fonts and if you add subtle/considered use of colour you end up with beautiful apps like the default Calendar & Here Transit.

One of Microsoft's design philosophies for Windows apps is 'authentically digital' and I think when that is done right it works well with a Modern design style. It's kind of the opposite of skeuomorphism, embrace the digital platform in design and function. Unfortunately I think that is very hard to do well.

I also think there's plenty of room to improve the current flat UI design, considering more use of colour and letting some shadows back in, etc. I think round corners & square corners could be interchangeable as well, over time. I like what Android Lollipop has done, it feels like it's a step forward to me.

The Windows 10 preview still feels a bit unfinished, design wise, to me but I'm excited to see how it comes together.

But choice is key right? So maybe as things get more open and places like Microsoft engage the community more we could end up with a highly 'skinnable' OS where you can have any UI design you like.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
There have been some conflict and confusion regarding the release of Windows 10 and how "free" it is. Many have stated that if the upgrade to Windows 10 is made within the first year of release, no other purchase is necessary, making Windows 10 free for life. This would mean anyone upgrading to W10 after the first year of release has to pay.

There there have been some citing that Windows 10 is free for only the first year as a promotion, then a purchase must be made. Even a recent article here by Windows Central staff regarding W10 stated, "By giving away Windows 10 for free, at least for the first year...."

So which is it?

If you get windows 10 in the first year, its free for life. Otherwise, you must pay for it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How hard is this people ? If you read this site or even watching the news most of these questions have already been answered. This is all fact from what I have seen, something might of changed but, I am 99% this is 100% accurate.

1. Free upgrade for the first year(12 months from release) for people who own Windows 7 or 8/8.1(accept corporate customers)
2. Pirates who have a non-genuine copy can upgrade to Windows 10 but, their copy WILL be non-genuine (Confirmed by Microsoft) and will be required to buy a copy to be genuine (unsure of pricing at this point for this case, No release on pricing from MS at this time)
3. Vista or XP will not qualify (for this case, Windows 2000, 98 95 or 3.1 do not qualify, Windows ME (AKA:WIndows a$$) never qualified for anything EVER).
4. The upgrade is like Windows has always been, once you purchase/upgrade windows you get life time updates for free. This has not changed in this upcoming version but, it's been discussed as a "rental" or "lease" software like Office 365.
5. After the first 12 months, once the free promo is over, you will be required to buy Windows 10 as you do now(for 7 or 8), upgrade or full version.
6. Versions have not been officially stated at this point, Home, Professional, Ultimate, Media Center edition (see below link what was found in 100041).
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wind...veral-New-Versions-Leak-Suggests-475967.shtml

7. Pricing of any type for full version, Upgrade, or corporate version has NOT been announced at this time.

Did I miss any questions here ? These have been clearly marked on WC or other sites. The Media Center edition was found in a XML file in build 10041 by a site, No confirmation but, if this is real, we might get MC again :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium