Microsoft doesn't get it: W10 will still feel like an OS with two mixed worlds

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Seeing how they present their latest 3D icons as a possible final icon set it is clear to conclude that they have no intention to make the desktop environment flat and in line with the modern environment. Im pretty sure windows explorer will stay pretty much the same as it is now in the preview. Perhaps with different 3D icons but that's the most we can expect. It won't become flat and beautiful in line with the rest. It won't become touch friendly. Im really disappointed.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It looks like you didn't read well all the features of Windows 10. You can configure W10 for tablets or mobile in a setting under the control panel. Microsoft also said that the icons may change and they are using these only to get feedbacks. Remember, this is a preview not the RTM version.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I feel pretty much the same way.

The desktop OS still feels like it's being eaten up by the touch/tablet elements but not in a way that meshes the two correctly. I doubt you're going to have a problem with the W10 being touch friendly, though, as that seems to be the real goal here. It's the people who want a complete deskstop experience with a focus on mouse controls that will suffer from the looks of things... Something which I thought W10 was supposed to focus on?

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
i have no problem with flat icons on desktop as long as they aren't like the white flat icons on tiles or the flat icons on windows 10 settings

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I feel pretty much the same way.

The desktop OS still feels like it's being eaten up by the touch/tablet elements but not in a way that meshes the two correctly. I doubt you're going to have a problem with the W10 being touch friendly, though, as that seems to be the real goal here. It's the people who want a complete deskstop experience with a focus on mouse controls that will suffer from the looks of things... Something which I thought W10 was supposed to focus on?

and in exactly what way is it easier to do sometihng in w7 with a keyboard and mouse thats harder in windows 10, give a specific example.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I doubt you're going to have a problem with the W10 being touch friendly, though, as that seems to be the real goal here.

​Nope, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is touch friendly. Windows 10 most certainly is not. They took a huge step backward for tablet use with the goal of appeasing desktop users. I think a lot of the desktop users will be happy (it's definitely not there yet, but in my opinion they're close to getting the right mix with regards to desktop use), but the tablet experience was decimated to do so.

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
All of this happened because they made the wrong choice in grouping users, They should have made one OS for Desktop and one for Tablet & Phones. And also give desktop users optional access to the appstore and a ARM emulator for apps missing x86 support.

Let's be frank here desktop users don't really have any use for Modern Apps, it's a gimmick, Desktop users are mostly power users and by grouping them with tablet users Microsoft just dumbed down the whole OS.

Microsoft is now trying to replace Control Panel, I will see how they replace Administrative Tools or port it to a Modern UI.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I generally agree with the OP, and more and more I'm starting to feel that Apple and Google are on the right track by keeping their desktop and mobile OS's separate. A unified OS really sounds great on paper, but I don't think the reality lives up to the expectations. I think there is way too much enthusiasm over a unified OS, and much of it seems like a bragging right over Apple and Google.

I'm still hopeful they can work it out, as they seem to be taking a lot of user feedback and tweaking.

Last edited:

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Let's be frank here desktop users don't really have any use for Modern Apps, it's a gimmick

I'm a desktop user and I prefer to use metro apps over their desktop counterparts when I can. They tend to look nicer, scale better when snapped, and interact with each other in a consistent way through the Share charm.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
"Microsoft doesn't get it"

Translated: 'As a random commenter on a forum, my ideas are better than everyone else's and if you don't agree you don't matter '.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/7QGfwAQ.jpg

Very useful for a PC without bluetooth or Wi-FI.

​One, that model of OneDrive sync is regrettably done with. Instead, Windows 10 does a Dropbox-style selective sync, meaning that any folder you choose from your OneDrive can be synced. I don't seem to see many desktop / non-touch laptop users complaining about Dropbox.

Secondly, FreshPaint's saving to OneDrive is an option and not required.

Third, how often do you work on a PC without internet? I can't remember the last time I didn't have internet except when I was on a plane, and I am able to prepare for those specific situations by saving files locally.

​And to be honest, that example is just trying to find an excuse not to use the apps. It'd be like me pulling up Chrome and saying that desktop apps suck without internet.

​On the other hand, WinRT/Metro apps, which now run on the desktop, have benefits such as syncing their data and settings, full high DPI support, they are automatically installed on a new computer when you first sign in (so hey, next time you upgrade your PC, you'll spend far less time setting it up), and you also have the benefits astondg mentioned.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a desktop user and I prefer to use metro apps over their desktop counterparts when I can. They tend to look nicer, scale better when snapped, and interact with each other in a consistent way through the Share charm.

I sometimes use the weather or calendar metro app, so I don't think they are total gimmicks but it's also not light years better than using the corresponding site on the web browser. In fact calendar is probably better on outlook.com than it is on the desktop (it has more options and such).

But I think that's the problem with metro apps- they really aren't all that better than using the browser in many cases (unless you are using a tablet). The reason why apps are useful and needed on the phone is that websites aren't really meant to be used on a small screen with a touch screen, so they solve the problem of usability. Metro apps don't solve a big problem like that, so they aren't AS useful, but I do like them because they are fast and no ads and whatnot.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/7QGfwAQ.jpg

Seems very useful for a PC without bluetooth or Wi-FI.

That's OneDrive though, that's the same across Desktop or Modern: OfflineOneDrive.png

Grimlock said:
But I think that's the problem with metro apps- they really aren't all that better than using the browser in many cases
Here's 6 Modern apps that work offline and offer things the web apps don't
(VLC, Food & Drink, Alarm, OneNote, Mail & Wunderlist):
OfflineApps2.png
OfflineApps.png

Apart from offline access they offer things like local file playback, push notifications & reminders, pen support, Snap with scaling and High DPI, integration with the Charms like Share and Play To, better support for printing, & other enhanced feature sets.

But sure, a lot of apps don't offer much over their web app counterparts and that's true of both Modern AND desktop apps.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people are crossing the streams like Ghostbusters.

ghostbusters-cross-streams.jpg
The bottom line for me is that the operating system on the desktop be boots up fast, runs apps fast, is smooth, run everything I need it to run. Just like its always done. Its about my applications when it comes to the desktop.

My job, my career, my livelihood all depends on applications. e.g. Photoshop, Office, Wordpress, Cities Skylines, (my new obsession) Quicken, VNC, Active Directory, Exchange etc. Not one time has my productivity ever depended on the look of a dog gone icon.
If I need to change the icons out, I head to Stardock.com and install WindowBlinds. It is what has always been around for those instances I want a different "look" to the desktop. I don't depend on Microsoft to create that experience for me. The excitement would be so temporary that once I got bored with my "recycle bin", if I needed to theme my desktop.
I think the desktop should just be the desktop and not attempt to be Samsung's version of an android phone. Besides, in real life, what adult sits around having conversations about how wonderful their icons look?

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't see some folks issues not the meaning of this thread, but for you that don't know, Microsoft still works on the RTM version, so don't judge without knowledge!

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I think a lot of people are crossing the streams like Ghostbusters.

View attachment 100185
The bottom line for me is that the operating system on the desktop be boots up fast, runs apps fast, is smooth, run everything I need it to run. Just like its always done. Its about my applications when it comes to the desktop.

My job, my career, my livelihood all depends on applications. e.g. Photoshop, Office, Wordpress, Cities Skylines, (my new obsession) Quicken, VNC, Active Directory, Exchange etc. Not one time has my productivity ever depended on the look of a dog gone icon.
If I need to change the icons out, I head to Stardock.com and install WindowBlinds. It is what has always been around for those instances I want a different "look" to the desktop. I don't depend on Microsoft to create that experience for me. The excitement would be so temporary that once I got bored with my "recycle bin", if I needed to theme my desktop.
I think the desktop should just be the desktop and not attempt to be Samsung's version of an android phone. Besides, in real life, what adult sits around having conversations about how wonderful their icons look?

This is it, this is the smartest post I've read this month, I couldn't have said it better.

So to sum up my needs, Windows for desktop has always been tweakable, themes don't mean much. The only thing I want out of both PC and phones is that they don't loose functionality, add them don't remove them, MS has been doing just the opposite.

MS is making modern apps and losing parts of OS settings.

Remember this from Windows 7 , the settings where I could change Icon spacing

rnan2Iz.jpg

Well it's gone in Windows 8.1 Instead MS posted this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2805467
and doesn't seem to be coming back, now I have to go to Registry to change spacing.
See what I'm talking about here. MS is so indulged in modern apps that they are forgetting PC users.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Seeing how they present their latest 3D icons as a possible final icon set it is clear to conclude that they have no intention to make the desktop environment flat and in line with the modern environment. Im pretty sure windows explorer will stay pretty much the same as it is now in the preview. Perhaps with different 3D icons but that's the most we can expect. It won't become flat and beautiful in line with the rest. It won't become touch friendly. Im really disappointed.

No you don't get it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05