How close to final version you think the UI is?

Xavier Maillou

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone :smile:

I didn't try the preview, but I inquired a lot about it, focusing on the user interface which I'm afraid is getting less touch-friendly than W8 - just an impression. First, the taskbar stays in tablet mode... I don't know, I find it really weird, not ergonomic at all with fingers. I prefer the fullscreen display when I turn back the type cover and use the SP as a tablet. Do you think the taskbar will stay there in final version or they just "forgot" to remove it from tablet mode because they're now focusing on desktop interface?
Then, we can deduce it seems tablet mode is just a desktop mode with bigger windows... am I wrong? I hope I am...

So, those who are trying the TP, please clarify my doubts :shocked:
Thanks !!

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the taskbar is useful in tablet mode for a big number of users that aren't so familiar with touch devices. However, It should have an option to easily hide it, a big button in the taskbar itself, for the big number of users that prefer apps running full screen.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the icons are rough drafts and will be updated like a month or two before the official release.

It's been great so far, though.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't worry. It's a technical preview. Not a UI preview.

This. Right now they are working on adding new features, improving current ones, removing bugs and listening to what people want/need.
UI changes is something that can be done in the last month before release.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I *hope* the final UI is nothing like what we're seeing so far. I'm sure there's a team of focus groups and consultants in a room somewhere figuring out what will blow us away. And then they'll scrap that and cobble something else together. ;)

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I am not worrying about UI at all. It is the easiest thing to change. Just little tweaks will make it looks much better (transparent tiles, better arrangement, auto hide taskbar...).
However, I am concerning about the features. There are still 3 major feature missing, Spartan, Xbox streaming and unified store. Cortana is also half baked. They only have three months left for RTM. Even if they release one major feature each month (I really doubt it, they didn't add any major feature since January), they won't have enough time to get feedback before RTM.

Mr French

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I *hope* the final UI is nothing like what we're seeing so far. I'm sure there's a team of focus groups and consultants in a room somewhere figuring out what will blow us away. And then they'll scrap that and cobble something else together. ;)

I hope too but for me it's just impossible... I really can't think that Microsoft is gonna make something more about the UI. For me it's obvious that the current UI is very close from what we're gonna see in the final product sadly...

Xavier Maillou

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I hope too but for me it's just impossible... I really can't think that Microsoft is gonna make something more about the UI. For me it's obvious that the current UI is very close from what we're gonna see in the final product sadly...

I can't quite remember how they did with W8, but I think the UI hadn't changed a lot from the technical preview... indeed you're maybe right :cry:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
SUGGESTIONS to further improve Windows 10 "Tablet Mode" starting from build 10041:

•Boot to "Full-Screen Start Menu" by default when Tablet Mode is permanently activated in Settings;
•Hide Taskbar by Default while in Tablet Mode, everywhere. Make it visible only by swiping from the bottom edge of the screen, like a the current menu list charms in modern apps;
•Make an "Immersive" version of Project Spartan like the current IE11 Metro while in Tablet Mode;
•Bring back the 8.1 Apps-Snapping style while in Tablet Mode;
•Hide any "old-Desktop" Windows behind the "Full-Screen Start Menu" background/transparency while in Tablet Mode;
•Make a modern full-screen "Windows Explorer" instead of opening "old-Desktop" Explorer while in Tablet Mode (this is the BIGGEST limit of 8.1 right now, maybe the only real one);
•Bring back the new announced precision touchpad gestures even on Touch Screens (Always, not only while in Tablet Mode);
•Keep the "Swipe down from upper charm" to close apps while in Tablet Mode;
•Hide the "minimize Start Menu" icon (on top right corner) when Tablet Mode is permanently activated in Settings;
•Enable Cortana searches directly on the "Full-Screen Start Menu" (on top right corner, with 8.1 Search button) when in Tablet Mode;
•Insert "Share" and "Play To" contextual buttons on Action Center (Always, not only on Tablet Mode);
•Make Action Center Full-Screen by height "Charm Bar style" when activated in Tablet Mode;
•Insert clock time and date, Always visible in bottom right corner on top of "Full-Screen Start Menu" while in Tablet Mode (Xbox One style);
•Just literally kill "old-Desktop" while in Tablet Mode...

Discussion continues on official MS Forums -> Windows 10 "Tablet Mode" Experience is much WORSE than Windows - Microsoft Community

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Multitasking in tablet mode is bothering me more than anything else.

Switching between apps were much faster in 8.1 where you can just pull apps to screen from left, or if you have many apps open you can choose what you want right behind your left thumb. Now we need to swipe left, then tap on big app previews in the middle of the screen.

Also, I could easily pull an app and put it next to current app, running 2, 3 or 4 apps side by side in my Surface. Now I need to pull the app from top to one side, then choose another app in the other side. And I can't have 3 or 4 apps open side by side anymore. (Okay, 4 apps aren't that useful, but 3 apps are useful sometimes on the 12" screen of Surface Pro 3)

There are some other small things too, like how the next app that you can pull in chooses: for a few seconds it's the next app, then it will be the previous app. Very neat, useful and natural.

Surface Pro 3 has a physical start button on the right side so I don't miss start button of charms bar, but other tablet users might miss it too.

I just hope these usability issues will be fixed in later builds. If not, that will be the same mistakes they had in 8.1 for desktops, but this time for tablets.

(The UI is unfinished too, but I think they will polish the UI in RTM)

Side Note: I really don't like vertical start screen on tablet :(

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
As far as the current 8.1 UI for tablet goes...just add a notification center (like the W10 version) and I would be a happy camper :D

But regardless I am really looking forward to W10 and hopefully MS sticks with 8.1 tablet mode UI for most of it

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
As far as the current 8.1 UI for tablet goes...just add a notification center (like the W10 version) and I would be a happy camper :D

But regardless I am really looking forward to W10 and hopefully MS sticks with 8.1 tablet mode UI for most of it

Yes, notification centre and Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs