Universal apps is not a new amazing technology that could save Windows

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I was watching those videos for developers about the new SDK, and from what I understood "Universal apps" is not a new technology, there is nothing special about it. Just the same Universal apps of Windows 8 with a few improvements. There was no mention of any support for productivity apps in this framework, It's still touch centric.

The same could be said about Windows 10. It's just Windows 7 plus tiles, Cortana and notifications. Windows 10 mobile is just Windows Phone 8.1 with hamburger menus :grin:. In contrast, Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 were such a big departures from their previous versions.

It would be surreal if a few tweaks here and there would be enough to save Windows from oblivion.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Developers-Guide-to-Windows-10-Preview

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Nobody claimed that universal apps were new?? but the idea that those apps will now be accessible on each platform (xbox/pc/laptop/tablet/phone) is a new one for MS :) Ok ok so the basics were already present, just not functional, still...

Imagine your productivity level, if you can use one app on all those devices (except for the xbox, cuz you might just end up gaming instead of working lol)..

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Imagine your productivity level, if you can use one app on all those devices (except for the xbox, cuz you might just end up gaming instead of working lol)..

That can be done since Windows 8.1, except for Xbox. In Windows 10 is just a little bit easier.

Office for touch is being developed with universal apps. The desktop version isn't.

It should be called "universal apps for touch". Desktop development is not part of that universe, neither most of the productivity apps.

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I was watching those videos for developers about the new SDK, and from what I understood "Universal apps" is not a new technology, there is nothing special about it. Just the same Universal apps of Windows 8 with a few improvements. There was no mention of any support for productivity apps in this framework, It's still touch centric.

The same could be said about Windows 10. It's just Windows 7 plus tiles, Cortana and notifications. Windows 10 mobile is just Windows Phone 8.1 with hamburger menus :grin:. In contrast, Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 were such a big departures from their previous versions.

It would be surreal if a few tweaks here and there would be enough to save Windows from oblivion.

Haha..... You stop short on the title. It's no longer Universal Apps (UA). No one said UA were to do anything for MSFT that was available in Win 8 aready.

But the buzz is about the Universal App Platform (UAP). Meaning the OS is not important. Your code runs 80% on all Devices from scratch.

Understand this principal and you will understand that Win10 is revolutionary.
And there's plenty to expect from it.

Watch the videos again. ;-).

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is just...
Windows 10 for phones is just...

You're making these ridiculous statements from basic UI changes, but in actuality both OS'es have been revealed to be packed with new features, capabilities & improvements.

Windows 10 for Phones: Wi-Fi Direct, NFC with HCE Support, Pedometer, Biometric sensors, Altimeter, support for 3rd party SMS apps, support for 4GB memory, inline SMS reply, improved speech to text, Bluetooth keyboard support

Windows 10: Windows Hello, Project Spartan, Virtual Desktops, improved snap assist, XBOX game streaming, FIDO support, universal notification center, per application VPN

...and there is still more.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
But the buzz is about the Universal App Platform (UAP). Meaning the OS is not important.

Understand this principal and you will understand that Win10 is revolutionary.

I don't think that's revolutionary, .NET and Java are also independent from the OS. Microsoft is versioning the new APIs in the same way that Android does it.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

The same could be said about Windows 10. It's just Windows 7 plus tiles, Cortana and notifications. Windows 10 mobile is just Windows Phone 8.1 with hamburger menus

What exactly new do you want? Like a man changing to a woman? Windows 10 has windows apps that are unified accross the Xbox PC Phone tablet Laptop and the list goes on and on.......
Start your work in your PC, end up fininshing it in your Phone...make some changes in one and it is reflected in your other devices? Isn't it productivity????? The office preview windows apps are universal productivity apps...then theirs OneNote to take down notes on your tab and sync them accross devices, seen the settings menu in your PC and Phone? Isn't it unified? What does it mean? They are trying their level best to unifiy all platforms into one....Cortana manages your daily tasks, gives you reminders, tracks your flights ,tracks your pacakages, gives you suggestions, makes your search easier, remembers your style, gives you updates , jokes with you....the list is infinite.....
Windows 10 also brings holographic lens with the incoming of virtualisation technology soon it makes productivity a lot easier using virtual models..., carry on conferences wearing thel lens without the need of holding and device in front of you.., designing objects in 3d through software integration with the lens, in this case too the list is INFINITE... isnt that productivity?????
Xbox game you are playing on your Xbox can be steamed to other supported devices taking gaming to higher levels
You want productivity? What about the SURFACE HUB ????? It was shown in the windows 10 event, it a total productivity suite for IT professionals and organisations, it can used for presentations, conferences, Cortana integration and supports voice commands , managing office related work...the whole productivity suite is embeded in the surfacehub...! isn't it productivity????
ok now go to flashback...and imagine doing all these with Windows 7
Best of luck! 👍

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is just...
Windows 10 for phones is just...

You're making these ridiculous statements from basic UI changes, but in actuality both OS'es have been revealed to be packed with new features, capabilities & improvements.

Obviously every new version of an operating system introduce new features. iOS and Android also iintroduce a lot of new features with each new version.

My point is Windows 10 is not revolutionary. It would be an interesting case if minor changes could make a big difference.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't think universal apps in and of itself is going to make w10 more successful, but they seem to be making the right tweaks in the right places and in the end the difference between W8 and W10 will be significant.

Did windows 7 save the OS in your opinion? Because the difference between Vista and 7 wasn't that dramatic, it's success was mostly focused on mature drivers and the right tweaks here and there. After that W7 was hailed as worthy successor to XP.

Based on what ive seen in the tech preview they are seriously improving on W8, maybe even more so than vista>7

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's revolutionary, .NET and Java are also independent from the OS. Microsoft is versioning the new APIs in the same way that Android does it.

I just recently download VS Ultimate 2015 ctp and the SDK. Is to early for me to compare the UAP to JVM and .Net.

But I can tell you this. If the UAP works as advertised by MSFT dev's are in for a threat.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think universal apps in and of itself is going to make w10 more successful, but they seem to be making the right tweaks in the right places and in the end the difference between W8 and W10 will be significant.

Did windows 7 save the OS in your opinion? Because the difference between Vista and 7 wasn't that dramatic, it's success was mostly focused on mature drivers and the right tweaks here and there. After that W7 was hailed as worthy successor to XP.

Based on what ive seen in the tech preview they are seriously improving on W8, maybe even more so than vista>7

That's a good comparison. Although, by then Windows had no competitors, it was easier to succeed.
The situation is different these days, Windows is a small player in mobile, and there are big threats even in the desktop market.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My point is Windows 10 is not revolutionary. It would be an interesting case if minor changes could make a big difference.

Yes W10 isn't revolutionary :) I agree, and those little changes might not add up to much or they might add up to a lot..

In the end, everything that has anything to with tech is a gamble.. It will either pay off or it won't.

MS could've just taken XP and slapped on a new logo and number and yet people would still use it. W10 is intriguing because it is so open to people around the world to test it out and let MS know, what it is they want.. MS took the "OS for the people, made by the people" strategy, one step further.

And yes I realize universal apps and the productivity were already there with w8.1 but those chapters are closing..

And now for the big question! Wha would you deem to be a game changer?? (Be specific, because you are specific enough when it comes to why w10 isn't "spectacular")

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 is just Windows 7 with tiles?
Well just to continue your logic,
Windows 7 is just Windows XP with transparency,
Windows XP is just windows 95 with colors,
Windows 95 is just Windows 1.0 with graphics,
Windows 1.0 is just MS-DOS with a GUI,
so might as well go use MS-DOS?

I love it when people use this logic.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Some people do not realise how insanely efficient Windows 10 makes use of the hardware it is running on and just dismiss it as Windows 7 with tiles....

To add credence to this, here is an extract from Stardock's CEO interview with Windows Central :

I think Microsoft has done a remarkable job on learning from the mistakes of Windows 8. There's a lot of important under the hood work that's gone into Windows 10 that I wish Microsoft would push more. For example, Windows 10 is much better at utilizing your CPU cores than previous versions of Windows. This matters not just because of raw performance but can have a significant impact on power usage. You are actually better off using 4 cores slightly than using 1 core strongly from a power and performance perspective.

What's going to be ironic is that for a lot of users, Windows 10 will "magically" allow your devices to have much better battery life and sadly, based on the marketing I've seen from Redmond, there will be little PR in explaining why this is.

In regards to universal apps, some have already said what I wanted to say so have nothing more to add to that.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Minor changes? I guess we don't yet know for sure what the finished product will be at the time of release, but it sure doesn't seem like minor changes.

That said, I do feel it's too early to call victory. For the several years we've been hearing about these big new changes that will catapult WP like a jet taking off from an aircraft carrier. So far nothing earth shattering has happened. This could be another one. On the other hand, it could actually happen this time. If I keep throwing darts at the dartboard, I'm bound to hit the bullseye sooner or later.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Office for touch is being developed with universal apps. The desktop version isn't.

It should be called "universal apps for touch". Desktop development is not part of that universe, neither most of the productivity apps.

Partially correct, Office 2016 has a XAML based UI (like WinRT Apps) but has a Win32 backend, this allows for scaling on high DPI screens and has much better performance.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Nobody is drum beating that Universal Apps are revolutionary.

Well, on the other hand, Microsoft is revolutionary because other platforms have to pay them a royalty fee (for every smartphone produced) to use the patents that Microsoft owns. That income itself is multi-folds more than what they could earn from Windows Phone market.

​So now hope you can figure out who is revolutionary.

Windows Phone has its own share of market. I think which is significant, because it comes without bloatware and malware. It is clean currently.

Seriously speaking, it does not matter whether Windows Phone sky rockets to #1 spot in market share. As long as it gives new updates for the current users, it is good and users will be happy.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is just Windows 7 with tiles?
Well just to continue your logic,
Windows 7 is just Windows XP with transparency,
Windows XP is just windows 95 with colors,
Windows 95 is just Windows 1.0 with graphics,
Windows 1.0 is just MS-DOS with a GUI,
so might as well go use MS-DOS?

I love it when people use this logic.

From the user's perspective, obviously the step from DOS to Windows was the biggest one. Windows 95 was another big milestone. Windows 8 was a huge step but in the wrong direction. Windows 10 is just Windows 7 with a few new features. It's not the big step forward that Microsoft is trying to market.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05