Universal apps is not a new amazing technology that could save Windows

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Some people do not realise how insanely efficient Windows 10 makes use of the hardware it is running on and just dismiss it as Windows 7 with tiles....

That would be great because Windows is miles behind Macs and Chromebooks in battery life, It would make the product more competitive. Let's wait for the benchmarks.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That would be great because Windows is miles behind Macs and Chromebooks in battery life, It would make the product more competitive. Let's wait for the benchmarks.

Blah Blah.. You are talking about Miles... why not give a comparison that PROVES it.
If you are waiting for BenchMarks, why do all the shhhhht talk here? Couldn't you put your opinion after getting BenchMark data?

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
From the user's perspective, obviously the step from DOS to Windows was the biggest one. Windows 95 was another big milestone. Windows 8 was a huge step but in the wrong direction. Windows 10 is just Windows 7 with a few new features. It's not the big step forward that Microsoft is trying to market.

its backward step for Microsoft. So why not you show the forward direction? Give guidelines for MS to achive Forward direction.
As it feels you know much more about Mac and Chromebooks, tell us what makes them AMAZING.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Benchmark? MacBook and chromebook doesn't even have a lot of hardware variety.

When talking about productivity chromebook doesn't even can handle documents as well as windows.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Lol. Chromebooks?? Seriously?? They are never to be considered a notebook or a laptop, as they dont even come near to a proper productivity device.

Macbook. Yes, they have good battery life of nearly 8 to 9 hours on actual average use. But then, todays laptops or notebooks are matching up to the battery life of Macbook.

Have you thought about this.....Even if Macbook has a good battery life, it is still a distant 2nd in terms of PC/Laptop market share. Why?

Because the offering from Microsoft is too good for majority of normal and business users.

ryanchase12

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Obviously every new version of an operating system introduce new features. iOS and Android also iintroduce a lot of new features with each new version.

My point is Windows 10 is not revolutionary. It would be an interesting case if minor changes could make a big difference.

That's cause you haven't seen the big picture yet. No one has. Everything they've shown us till now is not the full 100%. They have shown us maybe 50%. You're gonna have to wait till build to see what's to come. There's still so many features they haven't unveiled yet. Even the freaking UI isn't complete. Once the final product comes, it WILL be revolutionary.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

More competitive? Windows owns a 95% share in the PC market. Your obvious disdain for anything from Microsoft is clouding your judgment.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was watching those videos for developers about the new SDK, and from what I understood "Universal apps" is not a new technology, there is nothing special about it. Just the same Universal apps of Windows 8 with a few improvements. There was no mention of any support for productivity apps in this framework, It's still touch centric.

The same could be said about Windows 10. It's just Windows 7 plus tiles, Cortana and notifications. Windows 10 mobile is just Windows Phone 8.1 with hamburger menus :grin:. In contrast, Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 were such a big departures from their previous versions.

It would be surreal if a few tweaks here and there would be enough to save Windows from oblivion.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Developers-Guide-to-Windows-10-Preview

​Do you realise that on top of some excellent posts by users outlining how W10 on phones and desktop is not "just.." but A LOT more - we have not seen any new consumer facing features yet. Whatever we know, we've seen is all based on the technical preview and SDK. Microsoft always saves the consumer benefiting features for the last event. The way Cortana was way more than what we thought she would be when it was actually shown by Microsoft.

We gotta wait till Microsoft says, "...and that's Windows 10". They haven't said that. They've only said "Windows 10 will have this.." and "Oh.. and this".. "and also this.." - but they haven't stopped making it, not yet.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
You may not have an idea what you are talking about. If you are comparing windows gaming laptops vs arm based chrome book vs low resolution mac air. Yes, the battery life on windows laptops are crap. However, you are comparing apples and oranges.

If you really want to compare the OS, you need to compare similar hardware configuration. For example, HP spectre x360 (10 hr) vs MacBook pro (9 hr) vs chome pixel (8hr). The battery life are similar. Chromebook may even be the worst.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
It should at least be pointed out that part of the reason why MS owns so much laptop market share is because there are a gazillion cheap laptops from a zillion different manufactures out there at far lower price points than Macbooks. Generally the only thing keeping Apple from owning the laptop market is their absurdly high price points and the few unfortunate souls who simply dislike the brand for being what it is.

Microsoft is to laptops what Android is to smartphones... Android only has so much global marketshare because you can get an android for dirt cheap. I mean heck, look at this: http://info.localytics.com/hs-fs/hu.../blog-files/global-android-share-27.02.14.png even last year 1/2 of Samsung's sales (and 1/3 of all Android sales) were specifically Samsung branded entry-to-mid tier devices. Their premium devices only make up 1/3 of all Androids combined and everyone else's premium devices make up even less, so of course Apple wouldn't own the laptop market.

Satya Nadella himself was the one who pointed out, at the Windows 10 event, that he wants people to go from using Windows, to choosing Windows, to loving Windows. He's basically admitting that people use Windows (specifically 8) because it's what's available and affordable... not because it's what they WANT to use. So let's not throw numbers around and claim Windows is superior to other OSs simply because it has numbers behind it. Windows will likely always have stupid amounts of desktop/laptop market share but the numbers don't prove much in regards to actual consumer satisfaction (an area where Apple always seems to win). It's worth acknowledging when competitors are doing something better, and at the same time striving to reach that same level of quality (which Windows 10 is making more genuine attempts at accomplishing, especially in regards to getting user feedback).

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Generally the only thing keeping Apple from owning the laptop market is their absurdly high price points and the few unfortunate souls who simply dislike the brand for being what it is.

No, it's not the high prices. It's the business programs that OS X doesn't run. It's the crazy number of peripherals that don't support Apple's OS.

Your point is plausible in the consumer market but it's totally irrelevant in the business/enterprise sector. There are countless numbers of businesses that still run on Windows 2000 or XP and only now that XP is no longer supported would they even consider an upgrade.

As for the typical John Q. Public, Apple's going to have a hard time keeping the miniscule numbers they have now. I've kept an Apple desktop at home since 2003 but those days are numbered. Why? I don't feel the need to have to upgrade my hardware every couple of years because OS X keeps dropping support for legacy devices or apps after just a few years. I have 2 desktops that are in perfect condition but are worthless because their innards don't support the newest OS. Apple does build excellent hardware but if it's going to be obsolete in 4 years, I may as well get a cheap piece of junk since it won't survive the next upgrade cycle.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Your point is plausible in the consumer market but it's totally irrelevant in the business/enterprise sector. There are countless numbers of businesses that still run on Windows 2000 or XP and only now that XP is no longer supported would they even consider an upgrade.

As for the typical John Q. Public, Apple's going to have a hard time keeping the miniscule numbers they have now.

I wouldn't debate the business end of things, and you're right on that count. I was really talking about the general consumer market.

As for having a hard time keeping their current consumer numbers, Apple is one of the few vendors posting large percentage gains most quarters in the general laptop market. Some analysts are already expecting them to grow macbook sales 30% in Q2 this year while everyone else will be gaining under 5%. Just look at graphs like these: How Apple took over the only segment of the PC market that still matters | ZDNet, or current growth numbers like these: Apple Announces Futuristic New MacBook - Forbes

I don't think they'll have a problem with keeping this pace either, so long as they continue to create devices that change dramatically every few years. It's clear from the numbers that not everyone needs the versatility, or legacy support, of a Windows based laptop. The marketing is certainly doing its share of the work, however.

It does beg the question, though, of when Microsoft is going to get around to creating a trend like this of their own. Nothing from the Windows stable of devices has created the same level of reverence macbooks carry outside of maybe the XPS 13 (deservedly so). And MS isn't sharing Surface sales figures so it's safe to assume that, while they're doing much better, they're still not at a level one wants to discuss in front of competition.

Personally I'm begging for a Surface device, but I can't buy in when they cost so much. You can get an entry level Macbook Air or Dell XPS for the same price as the lowest tier Surface 3 once you add the keyboard. And at 64GB, that entry level is not appealing in the slightest. They need to hit that sweetspot area the iPad has. The surface is just such a bizarre product with bizarre pricing. It's not hard to see why it hasn't reached mass appeal.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they'll have a problem with keeping this pace either, so long as they continue to create devices that change dramatically every few years.

That's why they're a niche player and will remain that way. You mention you can't buy a Surface Pro because of the high price. Well, most people feel that way and won't, or can't, justify a large purchase like that every few years because the OS requires newer and more advanced hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb