Universal apps is not a new amazing technology that could save Windows

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
​I'm sure the decline in last quarter made that figure 90-92%, no?

I really doubt it. Decline is in current sales, not total PCs in the market place.

Will take many years of low (say 70%) Windows PC sales to get the market down from high 90's... but for PCs, Windows are still 90%+ of PC sales with Mac 7% and Chromebook < 1%.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I really doubt it. Decline is in current sales, not total PCs in the market place.

Will take many years of low (say 70%) Windows PC sales to get the market down from high 90's... but for PCs, Windows are still 90%+ of PC sales with Mac 7% and Chromebook < 1%.

He was being sarcastic with me. Stand down young man.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest hurdle W10 has to overcome is getting people to upgrade from w7 and XP. A lot of people are saying things like "1.5 billion pcs in the world, free windows 10, boom now they got market share". Universal apps can't be a savior if its only on 15% of PCs.

So while OSX is gaining market share that isn't their biggest problem. I really do like W10 and see it as big improvement over W8, but i don't think the changes made are going to win over those who didn't like W8. It will make w8 users happier and some w7 users will upgrade because its free, but i think this is a hail Mary strategy.

W7 will always be the biggest competitor to W10, and ill be interested in the numbers next year when its not free.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest hurdle W10 has to overcome is getting people to upgrade from w7 and XP. A lot of people are saying things like "1.5 billion pcs in the world, free windows 10, boom now they got market share". Universal apps can't be a savior if its only on 15% of PCs.

So while OSX is gaining market share that isn't their biggest problem. I really do like W10 and see it as big improvement over W8, but i don't think the changes made are going to win over those who didn't like W8. It will make w8 users happier and some w7 users will upgrade because its free, but i think this is a hail Mary strategy.

W7 will always be the biggest competitor to W10, and ill be interested in the numbers next year when its not free.

From businessman's perspective, most individuals or businesses did not upgrade from XP to W7 or W7 to W8, because of the $$$ they had to pay for the upgrade.

Example is an MNC I used to work for. They have 1000's of PC's in the office that runs W7 and still not upgraded because of the cost involved.

When the free W10 will be released, the businesses or individuals have nothing to lose by upgrading and will gain more in terms of updated OS with new features. And, people who are waiting for a free upgrade are large in numbers.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
From businessman's perspective, most individuals or businesses did not upgrade from XP to W7 or W7 to W8, because of the $$$ they had to pay for the upgrade.

Example is an MNC I used to work for. They have 1000's of PC's in the office that runs W7 and still not upgraded because of the cost involved.

When the free W10 will be released, the businesses or individuals have nothing to lose by upgrading and will gain more in terms of updated OS with new features. And, people who are waiting for a free upgrade are large in numbers.

I don't think it's a free upgrade for enterprise users

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's a free upgrade for enterprise users

It isn't. They've repeated this multiple times. There's far more involved with enterprise PCs ans support/licensing etc. so it stands to reason you would charge for those services. Plus it makes money, sweet, sweet bucket loads of money.

It doesn't make sense to charge the regular joe anymore though. Paying money to upgrade is the #1 reason why user bases remain so fragmented. Better to enroll as many people as possible in your current OS and earn the lost cash back through your proprietary app store and services. Most people never paid to upgrade to a new version of Windows anyways... They just bought a completely new computer.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It isn't. They've repeated this multiple times. There's far more involved with enterprise PCs ans support/licensing etc. so it stands to reason you would charge for those services. Plus it makes money, sweet, sweet bucket loads of money.

It doesn't make sense to charge the regular joe anymore though. Paying money to upgrade is the #1 reason why user bases remain so fragmented. Better to enroll as many people as possible in your current OS and earn the lost cash back through your proprietary app store and services. Most people never paid to upgrade to a new version of Windows anyways... They just bought a completely new computer.

Isn't it a "free" upgrade if you have SA though?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it a "free" upgrade if you have SA though?
Yes, that's correct. Windows Enterprise is only available to customers with SA, who don't pay for the upgrade as long as they're up to date on their subscription, and to partners, who get Microsoft products such as Windows and Office for free anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs