Cortana I Work in China but do not speak or read Chinese!

Warren Poultney

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue thats really bugging me with Cortana.

I'm in China, have the developers preview and the Cortana beta.

Since Cortana officially rolled out in China. Cortanan insists on ignoring my language settings and gives me search results, songs, jokes etc all in Chinese. Is there any way possible to get her to go with the language selected in the phone itself not region that I assume is based on IP address?

This includes showing Chinese characters for weather inquires.

I until recently use to be able to remedy this by selecting english in the bing search results when querying cortana . But now, even that seems to be gone.

Any fixes would be appreciated

I Work in China but do not speak or read Chinese

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Strange. My UK phone worked with US Region Settings of cortana in US English. Maybe you should not change your region settings to china?

Warren Poultney

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I was using Cortana here in China with no issues at all. WP 8.1 developer preview al;lowed me to use the US version of cortana ahead of the China roll out.
Since the role out, all results in Chinese, audio responses as well like singing.

Before, when she kicked back results there was the ability to select results in English in the initial results which would remedy this until I closes.
Now the results in English has been completely remove. I can't even get English results to any degree

Warren Poultney

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, unfortunately doesn't seem helpful to me,

All the settings for China are all in Chinese. From what I can see. There's no setting option to allow for those who can't read or speak Chinese located in China.

I realise China has a huge number of people. But Microsoft needs to get with it, there are actually people in China or are not Chinese
As of today, bing and cortana have become completely unusable for me here

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it has something to do with the great firewall of china. Could imagine that this is one of the restrictions they got in order to be able to release it there. don't want Chinese people to be able to Bing freely in the internet without being restricted in what they see. Long live the communism

Warren Poultney

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I really don't mind the restrictions on search results. Also, when using bing on PC, it initially goes to the china version, but you can simply click 'bling in English' which takes you to the Global site

however, there is in my mind no reason that Cortana can not see that the chosen UI language in language settings and respond in that appropriate language.

Worked fine right up to the official rollout in China of Cortana

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs