Will "Windows Apps" ever replace "Win32" apps?

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that the API's are really limiting, and the actual code is way more complex than win32 code. Dealing with files is a nightmare in winapps, but on the win32 platform, it's just a story of something along
File.Copy("source", "new location").

Not only that, but you are really limited interface wise. You're stuck on one frame, and can't have various Windows that belong to the same process open at the same time.

Basically, unless winApps API's evolve,
WinApps=really casual Apps
Win32=Video/photo editing, DAWs, specialized software, CADs, etc...

Well, you are right, Windows apps are still somewhat limited in what they can do, they are constantly getting better.
Once Windows 10 comes out (and if it becomes a success) more developers will become willing to make Windows apps, which will of course lead to better APIs, which means better apps. It's just a matter of time before they become as good as Win32 programs.
(I'm not saying that it's going to happen in the next few months, but they are getting better)

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I hope not.

It'll be a few years but that's the direction, replace programs with apps sooner or later they'll be just as if not more powerful than legacy desktop programs. That's the way Microsoft is seeing it anyway. Like it or not it prevents piracy of paid programs. At least on the Windows Store. :p

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It'll be a few years but that's the direction, replace programs with apps sooner or later they'll be just as if not more powerful than legacy desktop programs. That's the way Microsoft is seeing it anyway. Like it or not it prevents piracy of paid programs. At least on the Windows Store. :p

We will have to wait a long time before they are more powerful. Win32 Apps can litteraly do whatever they want right now.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Definitely. I think the answer is never Win32 apps has a broad range of possibilities while Windows Apps itself depends on the limitations set by the SDK.

That's right, but Windows apps are still quite new. In the next few years they will become much better (and they will greatly increase in quantity, not just quality).

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'm not even sure we can compare these. On one side, we have "programs", and on the other we have "applications". They don't even fit in the same category...

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Actually I'm not even sure we can compare these. On one side, we have "programs", and on the other we have "applications". They don't even fit in the same category...

​The only difference there is in name. And you're also drawing an imaginary line in the sand that doesn't even exist. Right click on an EXE in Windows, choose 'Properties' and what is it described as? "Application (.exe)"

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
​The only difference there is in name. And you're also drawing an imaginary line in the sand that doesn't even exist. Right click on an EXE in Windows, choose 'Properties' and what is it described as? "Application (.exe)"

That's a limitation of the English language. In French you have "Des applications" and "Des logiciels". I'il admit it, the line isn't very clear, but you can't say there isn't any.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
To me if Microsoft continues investing in "Windows Apps" (aka Windows Runtime) there's no reason why it could not one day be as powerful as Win32 based programs.

I'm sure their goal is to make it the defacto standard for applications / programs for Windows so they make the revenue on the app store. It's the only way their "free" Windows deal is going to pay for itself.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I see it as an egg and chicken issue. Developers think "They can use exe's anyway, why bother making it as a modern App?". Users expecting to run exe apps on their tablets isn't helping either. Modern apps can improve in capabilities to be in par with traditional exes, but there is still no reason to rebuild an existing App into a modern App if: a) there is still more Windows desktops and laptops than tablets, b) Windows tablets can run exes anyway and c) users actually want to run exes in their tablets despite it not being the most efficient way (no mouse precision, tiny screens)

Maybe it would be an unpopular opinion but Windows RT was the hope to modern apps to be ever popular. Not having the hability to run traditional exes would be a compelling reason to rewrite existing apps into modern apps if RT was ever successfull. Too bad it was misunderstood, had poor to no publicity and Microsoft insisted it remained a niche product offering it only in their physical stores in the US

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it would be an unpopular opinion but Windows RT was the hope to modern apps to be ever popular. Not having the hability to run traditional exes would be a compelling reason to rewrite existing apps into modern apps if RT was ever successfull.

I agree with this. Microsoft just canned their best chance at forcing Modern apps. Now, all tablets are running full Windows, which can run .exe's. The only device left to rely on Modern apps is WP, but at the moment WP is not significant enough to create a must-have situation.

vlknff

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
For now don't see it happening. SDK and APIs need to go a long way at best apps could be front end of some win32 apps .Especially when we go into specialized industries with slow development - 3d scanning software for example (from experience) - updates come once a year let alone rewriting software to suit modern apps.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Can you imaging Windows itself having nothing but Windows Apps?

For simple needs, Windows Apps may begin to dominate, but more powerful applications - ones that are very demanding of processors and memory - will probably always be the traditional .exe files.

I worked as a computer programmer a long time ago and I did write some win32 programs (with Visual Studio at that time). I have zero knowledge on the Windows Apps architecture. Do you mean there is some limitation on Windows Apps? (so that it is technically impossible to have those powerful software like Photoshop as a Windows app?)

If the Windows apps architecture does not have any limitation, then I think in the long run (maybe very long of course) Windows apps will replace win32 programs. Although I am not a computer programmer (I was, a long time ago), I believe the Windows apps architecture is cleaner and easier for coding.

If that happens, then virtually Windows Apps have become a mobile + desktop platform. This is indeed a good news to users as they can browse for useful "desktop apps" on the store.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it would be an unpopular opinion but Windows RT was the hope to modern apps to be ever popular. Not having the hability to run traditional exes would be a compelling reason to rewrite existing apps into modern apps if RT was ever successfull. Too bad it was misunderstood, had poor to no publicity and Microsoft insisted it remained a niche product offering it only in their physical stores in the US

I agree with this. Microsoft just canned their best chance at forcing Modern apps. Now, all tablets are running full Windows, which can run .exe's. The only device left to rely on Modern apps is WP, but at the moment WP is not significant enough to create a must-have situation.

Keeping Windows RT alive was NEVER going to make Windows Apps successful --- OEM's didn't even support it, Dell killed their RT tablet very early on and only Microsoft/Nokia supported it since. If anything, Windows 8 is the reason for RT's failure. The "metro" app design language it adopted from WP was terrible and was unusable as a Desktop Application replacement due to it's excessive touch/gesture based and panoramic navigation properties. And that's ironic being that Microsoft was using it's position in the Desktop market to try and boost it's mobile presence. It's not like the loss of RT causes Windows to lose any functionality, Windows 8.1/10 can do anything RT did + legacy functions --- which is the way it should have been all along to allow for a transition period (Win32 applications >> WinRT apps). Did you expect everyone to just dump their x86 applications in favor of a severely limited WinRT app? WinRT has a long way to go, but Microsoft is doing a great job with the new Outlook, Word & Project Spartan apps to show developers how effective an app can be on both a tablet & desktop device. Something Windows 8 failed to do....actually it's like they didn't even attempt to showcase that ability.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I worked as a computer programmer a long time ago and I did write some win32 programs (with Visual Studio at that time). I have zero knowledge on the Windows Apps architecture. Do you mean there is some limitation on Windows Apps? (so that it is technically impossible to have those powerful software like Photoshop as a Windows app?)

If the Windows apps architecture does not have any limitation, then I think in the long run (maybe very long of course) Windows apps will replace win32 programs. Although I am not a computer programmer (I was, a long time ago), I believe the Windows apps architecture is cleaner and easier for coding.

If that happens, then virtually Windows Apps have become a mobile + desktop platform. This is indeed a good news to users as they can browse for useful "desktop apps" on the store.

It has a tons of limitations. Also worse performance on modern app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077