how stable is the last build of w10 for a primary device

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
i want to try, wait, actually i want to use, not just try w10 on my laptop. reasons? i find it very nice + i literally want to contribute with some feedback. there are things which should be different, no more "is a TP" excuse or we'll get a bad os. we are no longer in october-november last year.
so my question is, as the title describes, do i have any chances to use it good on my primary and single device, an acer laptop? i dont want to bother with dual booth or VMs. i know most of the build's bugs, but maybe i misunderstood how big are some, or things like that. im looking for an advice and additional information INTO that. thanks

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
ill wait for more responses. i know it should be stable enough to not break my pc now. but i hope it is for a daily driver too. because i dont want to mess with recovery and data loss

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
By all means, the only issue I have is that the updater keeps installing a video driver that messes with how the cursor looks(a common problem with an older driver I had last year, until AMD fixed it).

I have no other issue, even when playing games.

TheMiseryOfMe

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in this too. Like how do programs that run fine in windows 7 fair in windows 10 because I really want to update my single laptop to provide some proper feedback but I need almost all of my programs to work so I'm still holding back

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
ill wait for more responses. i know it should be stable enough to not break my pc now. but i hope it is for a daily driver too. because i dont want to mess with recovery and data loss

What will you use it for? In my case, it's not stable enough. I've already reported over two dozen bugs to Microsoft, and I got tired of it.

I'm seriously considering going back to 8.1 as it affects what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
What will you use it for? In my case, it's not stable enough. I've already reported over two dozen bugs to Microsoft, and I got tired of it.

What do you do? What kind of bugs? How long have you been a part of the preview?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
What do you do? What kind of bugs? How long have you been a part of the preview?

I've been part of the Windows insider program since the first technical preview.

Bugs that affect my photography workflow for one. Bugs that affect screen mirroring. General operations bugs. Bugs that break things working in the previous builds. Etc.

As previously reported, over one million issues have been submitted to Microsoft. One of those might affect your work. Many of those frustratingly affect mine.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been part of the Windows insider program since the first technical preview.

Bugs that affect my photography workflow for one. Bugs that affect screen mirroring. General operations bugs. Bugs that break things working in the previous builds. Etc.

As previously reported, over one million issues have been submitted to Microsoft. One of those might affect your work. Many of those frustratingly affect mine.

I actually don't do work on my computer, mainly games and Skype, but I can see where bugs that break a workflow can be a huge bummer (in some cases worse). I was just curious, as a cat.

Though the details are a little slim, thanks. :)

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site

well, i cant say im doing too much of an extraordinary important work lately on my laptop. and as i see it, that wont change in the coming couple of months. so is ok to not working perfect. but browsing, few hours of gaming per month and some office work or small photoshop edits shouldnt be too hard, right? thats what i look for. things like screen mirroring is a good example of a feature for now outside of my needs. things from a certain level are for now not a need for me.
about going back. is it smooth? because if so, there are even less reasons not to jump in. but if it implies too much work AND data lose, then it may be a problem.

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My photography workflow is so simple.

On 8.1:

1. Insert the SD card into the Pro via an adapter
2. Use Windows Photo Viewer to screen the photos
3. Use Open with to launch Photoshop Express where I do crop
4. Save

On 10049

1. (same)
2. (same)
3. Error

So I tried the new Photos, but once it opens up, I can't edit it. In build 9926, I can open, edit, and save but browsing always fails after a few photos. The app just dies.

I have a few screenshots, but I'm on a phone right now.
Posted by a Lumia 636

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would never install a Tech Preview on bare metal if it's my only machine, stable enough or not. I always use a VM to test TP versions of Windows.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft has been pretty clear with the answer to this question: no, it is not meant to be installed on a primary (or only machine). Look around the web rather than here and you will see why. There are an array of problems with the 10049 build - some shared with its predecessor and some new. This is all to be expected. It really is still a TP and barely even a beta. I would also think you don't know all (or most) of the bugs if you think they are minor. Even Microsoft has acknowledged some are pretty severe; some of their workarounds do not work on all machines; and real fixes will not happen until the next build. Use it if you want but you would only have one person to blame if you find you are saddled with major issues.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If you have the right hardware, its stable enough for most things you want to do. If you don't have the right hardware, this latest build isn't good at all. I still use a desktop and it works pretty well on it. My Toshiba I3 no longer displays video. I mean any video, including BIOS video. Not sure how MS managed to break that but its gone. My desktop its all good though.

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
but there are plenty of ppl having it on their daily driver. including one of my friend. so, is that roll back thing working good? ofc, in case the tp is not killing the device first.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In fairness, I run 3 VM on my Pro 1 without any problems.

One is a Windows Server 2012 acting as AD. Two, Windows Sever 2012 with SQL Server 2014, and third, Windows Server 2012 Core with SQL Server 2014 Core.
Posted by a Lumia 636

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs