MS really doesn't want anyone to upgrade their W7 PCs evidently.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
So I finally decided to try out Windows 10 on my old AMD FX-60 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. This prompted a "compareexchange128 " error? Really MS? Evidently, if you don't have the "correct" legacy hardware you can't upgrade? Sounds like they really don't want everyone to upgrade. That's a very interesting strategy: Leave out part of your user base. After this, I may hold off updating my newer machines as this seems like unnecessary nonsense from MS. :eck:

P.S. - Sorry for the rant. lol

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
First to try is to update your BIOS. If that doesn't work, had over to My Digital Life forum where they have a patch for this.

Technically, it's a hardware issue.

Sent by my Honor 6

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well firstly, it is a technical preview, so obviously Microsoft does NOT want everyone to upgrade to THAT version.
Second thing is that it DOES say in the Important notes

"Some PC processors and hardware configurations aren’t supported by Technical Preview, including a small number of older, 64-bit CPUs, and some 32 GB and all 16 GB devices running a compressed operating system."

Lastly, you != everyone.

P.S. you're not sorry for the rant, otherwise you wouldn't be saying this kind of unnecessary nonsense and blaming Microsoft for it.

Reading saves lives.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Windows 8.1 laptop gave me an error this week.

Really?
Sounds like Microsoft wants to screw me over with a less than perfect product! I paid for Windows, I deserve 110% operational efficiency! Darn money grubbing suits!

My old Windows 95 PC doesn't meet the requirements! Sounds like they're trying to screw everyone who owns a PC over! there's no reason that PC shouldn't be able to run 10!!!!

PS - sorry for the rant. (also, I'm just joking around since the issue raised was already addressed)

(yea, I'm really salty at the sheer density displayed here. cynicism isn't bad, but there's a point where it becomes less than smart)

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
My Windows 8.1 laptop gave me an error this week.

Really?
Sounds like Microsoft wants to screw me over with a less than perfect product! I paid for Windows, I deserve 110% operational efficiency! Darn money grubbing suits!

My old Windows 95 PC doesn't meet the requirements! Sounds like they're trying to screw everyone who owns a PC over! there's no reason that PC shouldn't be able to run 10!!!!

PS - sorry for the rant. (also, I'm just joking around since the issue raised was already addressed)

(yea, I'm really salty at the sheer density displayed here. cynicism isn't bad, but there's a point where it becomes less than smart)

Hee hee. What he said.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
So I finally decided to try out Windows 10 on my old AMD FX-60 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. This prompted a "compareexchange128 " error? Really MS? Evidently, if you don't have the "correct" legacy hardware you can't upgrade? Sounds like they really don't want everyone to upgrade. That's a very interesting strategy: Leave out part of your user base. After this, I may hold off updating my newer machines as this seems like unnecessary nonsense from MS. :eck:

P.S. - Sorry for the rant. lol

And its a damn good thing your hardware is unsupported as you are clearly not who this TP was intended for.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they do want everybody to upgrade. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect every piece of hardware ever created to meet the minimum requirements. If you have an Apple desktop on a PowerPC chip, 10.5 is as far as you're going. If you're on an Intel single-core, 10.6 is your last stop. Where's the outrage?

I really don't understand the mindset some folks have that they're entitled to every update from here to Judgement Day.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, they do want everybody to upgrade. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect every piece of hardware ever created to meet the minimum requirements. If you have an Apple desktop on a PowerPC chip, 10.5 is as far as you're going. If you're on an Intel single-core, 10.6 is your last stop. Where's the outrage?

I really don't understand the mindset some folks have that they're entitled to every update from here to Judgement Day.

I don't even get what the controversy is. OP can still use Windows 10, he just needs to use the 32-bit version. This entire thing is a non-issue.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My Old PC with Core 2 Quad Q9400 Supported. #shocked and it run well in my i7 2670QM Laptop.

Seriously dude if your hardware isn't supported stop barking. It mean it can't. Or if it can it would run terribly slow

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Pump your brakes OP, there is NO upgrade for the PC yet. There is only their beta they are calling a technical preview.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I finally decided to try out Windows 10 on my old AMD FX-60 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. This prompted a "compareexchange128 " error? Really MS?
Relax, it's not MS. That's a bogus message that pops up on PCs being heavily monitored by the NSA. It's to discourage installation of W10 until they have their monitoring system updated for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers