MS really doesn't want anyone to upgrade their W7 PCs evidently.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Please forgive my absence and thank (most of) you for your feedback. I'm fully aware it's an old PC, really that was the point: to try out Windows 10 on my old PC so there'd be little risk. I believe MS also suggested not to use on your main PC....
My main point to this thread is that if MS wants Windows 10 out there, then it should be as compatible as it's older OSs are on the same chipsets. This is a valid point: Can't run on Windows 10 on an AMD 939 socket in 64 bit? Really? I'd say that in it's day, the 939 was more popular or at least as popular as any Intel CPU out at the time. I know it's not the end of the world and I'm sure I'll be running Windows 10 eventually on my I7, but I'm really not in a hurry after this, or maybe I'll wait for the official release.

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
939 released over 10 years ago, yes? That seems like quite a way back for a future OS to consider supporting. And let's be fair, MS do always try to do some n-2 compatibility. But guaranteeing support for tech over 10 years old is probably pushing it.​

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
In its best days my Pentium386 was the pack leader. That does not mean that i can install current versions of Windows on it.

It is right for us to try Windows 10 but then for any OS we must be aware the hardware that we are installing it on.
Posted on Lumia 1520 via Taptalk

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
In its best days my Pentium386 was the pack leader. That does not mean that i can install current versions of Windows on it.

It is right for us to try Windows 10 but then for any OS we must be aware the hardware that we are installing it on.
Posted on Lumia 1520 via Taptalk
Pentium 386 isn't able to run Windows 7 64 bit, the AMD 64 939 is. My point is that Windows 10 needs to be able to support any configuration that Windows 7 can. Why shouldn't I expect this?

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
939 released over 10 years ago, yes? That seems like quite a way back for a future OS to consider supporting. And let's be fair, MS do always try to do some n-2 compatibility. But guaranteeing support for tech over 10 years old is probably pushing it.​

I know they don't guarantee support. But why wouldn't they include chipset that Windows 7 can support? Seems silly to me that Windows 10 can't but Windows 7 can.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know they don't guarantee support. But why wouldn't they include chipset that Windows 7 can support? Seems silly to me that Windows 10 can't but Windows 7 can.

I'm thinking 10 has some new feature or otherwise under-the-hood changes that result in it not-working right on your rather old chipset or requiring some feature yours doesn't have. Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio Express worked fine on my laptop, but I couldn't use a WP emulator feature because my laptop's chips lacked a specific hardware feature.

I'm sure its not just some round table of Dr. Evil-esque employees debating which chipsets the next OS'll be incompatible with.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Two things.

A couple of specific items are required in the processor's instruction set. Older processors that don't support these won't install. This happened at Windows 8.

There's no such thing as a Pentium 386. The original Pentium was the successor to the 80486.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Really. . . .

From the Insider Program Notes:

"Some PC processors and hardware configurations aren?t supported byTechnical Preview, including a small number of older, 64-bit CPUs, and some 32 GB and all 16 GB devices running a compressed operating system."

Tech preview may not work -- that doesn't seem to mean that the OP's machine won't run the final version. . .

Reading is fundamental. . . .

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Understanding is more important than reading though.
What other words could have been used to replace "Technical Preview" in that sentence? None really. Which, yes, the sentence is perhaps open to misinterpretation if over-analysed, but the message should be clear enough to understand.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
"Reading is fundamental", "Understanding is more important", Ok, thanks for feedback. I'll give it all consideration it deserves.
If MS wants more people to use W10, then broader compatibility, not less is important than previous versions-- or at least the same.
I'm not going to change my view on this. It's interesting that so many people are ok with less options and flexibility. Is it a "deal breaker" for me? No my current computer will be fine with W10 and my dinosaur will undoubtedly stay a Windows 7 pc. So be it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The FX-60, Socket 939, with some sweet DDR 400, is not a Windows 7 PC.

It's a Windows XP machine that has performed through the XP, Vista, and 7 years.

At a certain point, they are retiring some of your broader compatibility, mostly for security purposes. Heck, I was annoyed when 8 removed 16-bit compatibility.

Sell that FX-60 to someone with more bucks (and nostalgia) than sense, and get a lower power, equal or higher performance modern replacement that can utilize all the modern peripherals as well.

(still pining for my old A7N8X Deluxe with Athlon XP 2400 I recapped out there somewhere. Had some of the awesome Swiftech heatsinks on it, a huge passive Zalman cooler on a Radeon 9700 Pro, iirc...)

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
"Reading is fundamental", "Understanding is more important", Ok, thanks for feedback. I'll give it all consideration it deserves.
If MS wants more people to use W10, then broader compatibility, not less is important than previous versions-- or at least the same.
I'm not going to change my view on this. It's interesting that so many people are ok with less options and flexibility. Is it a "deal breaker" for me? No my current computer will be fine with W10 and my dinosaur will undoubtedly stay a Windows 7 pc. So be it.
Your intransigence is noted. . .

Murray McEwan

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Just for the heck of it, I took an old HP laptop (ZD8000) that was still functional (but not used for a few years already), figured out how to repartition it, keep the old XP system on there, and installed the Win TP in the new partition. I was surprised that it basically works ok (32 bit OS) except for a lack of a display resolution setting, but even that may improve when Win 10 matures a bit more. The TP seems to take a while to hunt around and find drivers to make everything work, but while I was looking for a driver for the old Conexant AC-97 sound card, next thing I looked, and the OS had found something somewhere! No driver for the flash media card reader yet, but other than that, device manager looks exactly correct.

For many people, this ancient laptop would still be more than enough computer for their needs. I guess I'm a nostalgia nut ;)

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they do want everybody to upgrade. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect every piece of hardware ever created to meet the minimum requirements. If you have an Apple desktop on a PowerPC chip, 10.5 is as far as you're going. If you're on an Intel single-core, 10.6 is your last stop. Where's the outrage?

I really don't understand the mindset some folks have that they're entitled to every update from here to Judgement Day.

Oh I had outrage about the Intel single core... I bought a macbook pro when they first when to Intel... and then they stopped supporting it after upgrading their systems to the dual core within like a year... I'm still angry about that as there really wasn't any reason to drop support for it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
W10 is focussed on supporting older hardware. It's not really viable for modern touch enabled devices and is really designed to run best on older non-touch hardware. I think we can be sure that the final release won't exclude their target market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234