MS really doesn't want anyone to upgrade their W7 PCs evidently.

Dustin Flood

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I am running Windows 10 pro great on a pc that was built for windows xp and it was built like 9-12 years ago so for u it has to be a hardware issue like above posts check and make sure your bios is updated or try the 32bit even tho I am running 64bit doesn't mean urs will run it without having ur same setup not much I can give u on help for this besides what others have giving :p

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I know they don't guarantee support. But why wouldn't they include chipset that Windows 7 can support? Seems silly to me that Windows 10 can't but Windows 7 can.

At 1st i couldn't tell if you were kidding or being serious, then I realized you were serious!

Did you have an issue when Windows 7 no longer supported Twain devices? DirectX 5 video cards? 3DFX cards? SCSI? Where systems started coming without Printer or Serial ports?

You cannot maintain progress and keep 100% compatibility with every device on the market for the last 10-20 years. Also, if it's a matter of drivers, then it's up to the manufacturer, not Microsoft, to add compatibility. If your system came with Windows 7, then you still have a really good chance of getting Windows 10, you just have to wait for it to RTM to be 100% sure.

I remember numerous time when installing Windows also meant I had to hunt down device drivers to add during installation for Windows to see my raid setups or data chipsets. Is this Microsoft's fault too? They must not want me to add my 16 drive raid array to Windows! Nope.

I apologize if i seem a bit harsh, but there comes a time to let old hardware go, or just not upgrade it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I finally decided to try out Windows 10 on my old AMD FX-60 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. This prompted a "compareexchange128 " error? Really MS? Evidently, if you don't have the "correct" legacy hardware you can't upgrade? Sounds like they really don't want everyone to upgrade. That's a very interesting strategy: Leave out part of your user base. After this, I may hold off updating my newer machines as this seems like unnecessary nonsense from MS. :eck:

P.S. - Sorry for the rant. lol

Windows 8.1 x64bit and onward require the CMPXCHG16B instruction set, which unfortunately your processor does not support. Highest you can upgrade to is Windows 8 unfortunately...

Doesn't Windows 10 come in 32bit? Usually less instruction sets are required, may want to give that a shot!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Where have you got that from?

It's obvious. W10's touch interface has been devalued and the mouse and pointer interface expanded. Since the touch experience is inferior to Win8 then why would anyone move any touch devices onto a worse OS solution? So, clearly the focus of W10 is for pre-touch devices. That being the case, it would be crazy for MS to restrict their target market further.

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's obvious. W10's touch interface has been devalued and the mouse and pointer interface expanded. Since the touch experience is inferior to Win8 then why would anyone move any touch devices onto a worse OS solution? So, clearly the focus of W10 is for pre-touch devices. That being the case, it would be crazy for MS to restrict their target market further.

No Bro; Windows 10 is supossed to work with ACTUAL Hardware and newer Hardware. The "Windows Hello" Feature is probably not gonna work with most actual Hardware. On the other side, the Tablet Mode in Windows 10 Build 10074 is very very similar with the "Touch" and App Interface in Windows 8.1, most possible in future Builds, Windows 10 is going to have a lot more capabilities for Touch Only Devices.

And for the Topic; Hardware gets old, you buy a new PC, it becames obsolte the next day if something even better came out. That's the life in technnology and it's somewhat sad, but it's the reallity.
I got to use a really old HP Pavillion dv4000 Intel Celeron from 2004. That one was my war machine, it was my partner for a long time and for most part of my Enginering studies, but it becames practically obsolete for modern therms; Windows 7 worked really really nice in that big dinosaur, but when I try to install Windows 8, the Intel Graphic Chip, the infamous 910 Express Family Chipset, was not suported for Windows 8 and there was no means to install the driver, not even doing some magic and recoding tricks, so, I was never ever gonna really use Windows 8 on that Laptop and that was all, the poor old thing just die the last year, a couple of days after I buy a new PC and save all the Data that was in it's old 40GB HDD.

So, if time passes, you must be prepared to see the day when the Software is not gonna suppor your Hardware, and that's gonna going to happen meaby the next year with the older Windows Phones Devices, wich probably are not gonna get the next versi?n of Windows 10, because hardware wise are uncapable to do some things compared to newer devices.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This thread is proof that Microsoft needs to find a way to limit tech previews to actual developers. The incessant whining about the something not working in a beta is going to make my head explode. And not a design change mind you but just something that doesn't work in a particular instance which they provided a specific warning about.

If you can't handle something not working, don't try to install technical previews.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread is proof that Microsoft needs to find a way to limit tech previews to actual developers. The incessant whining about the something not working in a beta is going to make my head explode. And not a design change mind you but just something that doesn't work in a particular instance which they provided a specific warning about.

If you can't handle something not working, don't try to install technical previews.
^
+925

Leaked builds always pop up in private trackers.

95% of people on this site think W10 is the same OS across all devices lol

David Kitson

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I've seen a lot of criticism of the OP in this thread, but seems the OP was spot on - This is exactly the bug Microsoft should have fixed during the beta, but failed to do so - Now I have Windows 7 users complaining about the constant demands to upgrade coming through their system, to an operating system that should run quite acceptably on their system, but does not.

Microsoft could have included more information ( eg, "Sorry, we screwed up. You need to back up all your data, install windows 10 32 bit and then re-purchase 32 bit versions of all of your applications... Oh and pull out all that extra ram you purchased last year and sell it on ebay - it's worthless now." ) or it could have put in a workaround. Or it could drop the nagging for Windows 7 users, including the automatic upgrade feature stuck in an infinite loop. Interestingly, I know this hardware is supported under Windows 10 because it was originally one of the BETA program machines, way back at the end of 2014 and had no problems since until the hard drive failed, and it dropped back to a secondary hard drive that was left in the machine that was running an original Windows 7.

This is still an issue, and is affecting users being prompted to upgrade. And it does not manifest until the end of the install process.

Well done Microsoft - you screwed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster