Spartan probably won't keep that name

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not unless Microsoft knows some fancy tricks or spends money for the name. It appears the name Spartan is already a trademarked android app.
spartan android.PNG

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned on Android Central. That's too bad, since it would've been nice for Microsoft to have the name, rather than some obscure Android app.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has been using that codename longer than the android app has existed. But either way, codenames are generally not kept for final releases.

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
No worries. If Spartan is the final name for the Browser the small time Dev for that Android app doesn't stand a chance against MSFT.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
No worries. If Spartan is the final name for the Browser the small time Dev for that Android app doesn't stand a chance against MSFT.

That's a tad arrogant.

I know that Explorer will stay if the name changes, but not Internet. And MS branding will stay.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned on Android Central. That's too bad, since it would've been nice for Microsoft to have the name, rather than some obscure Android app.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I haven't seen it written anywhere myself. I was doing a Bing search for something to block the dopey ads that show up in Spartan, (just in case something is out there) when I came across the post on the google play store for Spartan. So, lets investigate. On the play store, I found this and my heart kinda sunk.

But I would tend to agree with K0de in a less aggressive and negotiate mode in that this dev may be inclined to give up the name if Microsoft came a knocking. Its only on less than 100 phones. He might be friendly to Microsoft anyway. His email is Outlook.com. :)

Olander418

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
This Spartan Browser has only four reviews. This makes me think that the developer chose the name after Microsoft announced Spartan, the reason why the developer did this is probably because of the free exposure.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This Spartan Browser has only four reviews. This makes me think that the developer chose the name after Microsoft announced Spartan, the reason why the developer did this is probably because of the free exposure.

That was my very first thought. He chose it so he could cash in.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen it written anywhere myself. I was doing a Bing search for something to block the dopey ads that show up in Spartan, (just in case something is out there) when I came across the post on the google play store for Spartan. So, lets investigate. On the play store, I found this and my heart kinda sunk.
Thanks for that. If you find something, do let me know. I'm needing the same.
But I would tend to agree with K0de in a less aggressive and negotiate mode in that this dev may be inclined to give up the name if Microsoft came a knocking. Its only on less than 100 phones. He might be friendly to Microsoft anyway. His email is Outlook.com. :)

That was my very first thought. He chose it so he could cash in.

Yeah, sees Microsoft kept the name Cortana and that they have a new codename for a browser called Project Spartan, so he "trademarks" it for the sole purpose of selling the trademark to Microsoft for a nice comfortable retirement.

Makes me want Microsoft to change the name just so this guy would have wasted his time doing it.

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone can add a TM to a name...doesn't mean it's official. If Microsoft used the name before him (which it does look like) then Microsoft wouldn't have to pay a dime. If Microsoft does choose to keep the name, they will send him a cease-and-desist letter to change the name of his app or remove it altogether. My guess is, if Microsoft wants to keep the Spartan name, they already do have the trademark, and if not, then they didn't plan on using it in the first place. But they might still make him change the name of it, simply because he chose the name to deceive people into buying his app thinking it's from Microsoft.

SpartanApps

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just been having a read through this as I had been alerted by a user on this forum.

I genuinely did not know they were planning to use the same name, my app is doing quite well and I have worked hard and spent money to get it up the market rankings. I have not tried to deceive anyone, I love that name and it makes my app unique to others, if Microsoft wish to get in touch for a quick chat I am more than happy to, I am a fellow Windows user and I support Microsoft completely but I had been using that name first and it would be a shame for me to have to change it as it will take weeks and weeks of rebranding!

ADVICE NEEDED!

Kind Regards,
Hussain
Spartanappsuk@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

SpartanApps

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Spartan Internet & Web Browser is my application, it has between 10,000-50,000 downloads on it at the moment and have a good amount of daily users. It would be a shame for me to have to rebrand my name, I had no idea as of release that Microsoft had a codename for there browser but I have had this in the works for months prior to me releasing it. I don't want to get into any trouble and vice versa; don't want to cause any trouble to Microsoft as they will most likely be releasing it to Android OS. I make a small amount of money from this application but it is significant enough to help pay a bill or two. I am just your ordinary 21 year old trying to earn a bit of extra pocket cash!

I have tried posting my email address if anyone could offer any advice but it would be a shame for me to have to rebrand my application as it would takes weeks and weeks of time; recently had a new arrival to our little family so it could be months before this can be done!

I will hang around these forums to see updates, sorry if I have offended anyone with the app name but genuinely, I was unaware of Microsoft's codename: Spartan!

All the best,
SpartanApps - Hussain

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Spartan Internet & Web Browser is my application, it has between 10,000-50,000 downloads on it at the moment and have a good amount of daily users. It would be a shame for me to have to rebrand my name, I had no idea as of release that Microsoft had a codename for there browser but I have had this in the works for months prior to me releasing it. I don't want to get into any trouble and vice versa; don't want to cause any trouble to Microsoft as they will most likely be releasing it to Android OS. I make a small amount of money from this application but it is significant enough to help pay a bill or two. I am just your ordinary 21 year old trying to earn a bit of extra pocket cash!

I have tried posting my email address if anyone could offer any advice but it would be a shame for me to have to rebrand my application as it would takes weeks and weeks of time; recently had a new arrival to our little family so it could be months before this can be done!

I will hang around these forums to see updates, sorry if I have offended anyone with the app name but genuinely, I was unaware of Microsoft's codename: Spartan!

All the best,
SpartanApps - Hussain

I wish you all the best, Mr. Developer. I hope your browser gets lots of users :) I know the time and effort it takes to create apps as a single person or a small team. Good luck with your work. ^_^

And lol @ the guy above saying a developer doesn't stand a chance against MS. The level of arrogance is shocking. We need to support ALL developers.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll be fine.

Spartan is just a codename, and even then it won't be used for official things. I wouldn't worry about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs