Windows 10 freezing up when in use?

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running Windows 10 preview build 10049 on my surface pro (1st generation). Ever since this recent update (and I guess another recent change I made was using a power cover instead of the original type cover) I've been having frozen programs while working on it. They're not intense resource drainers either. I was using it in class today with word, one note, PDF, torrent in the background, and a chat client in the background. I usually always have these on plus more, but everything freezes up. I can open start, I can't shut down nor restart, can't close my applications (just says waiting for program to respond and loads forever), can't alt + ctrl + delete. I'm forced to do a hard reset by holding the power button. It's happened about 4-5x already. Anyone else have the same issues? I have a Bluetooth dongle in the USB port for my mouse and a microSD plugged in, which is always there prior to windows 10

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm noticing a lot of "lag" since 10049, with frequent program crashing/freezing on an ongoing, regular basis. Extremely slow boot times as well. I'm running on a Lenovo Flex 2-15 laptop. Running Project Spartan makes the system slow to a crawl, but nothing is slow in 8.1. I was thinking perhaps it was improper Windows 10 drivers for my laptop, but I'm beginning to wonder about that. Perhaps I'll wait for the next build before I boot back into it to upgrade, see how it goes from there.

I'm glad I set up a dual boot between 8.1 and 10. I'm having to get my actual work done in 8.1, and just play with 10 when I get extra time.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the culprit is putting the device to sleep and loading it up again. Once again, windows froze on me. Things can open but they can't close. I think ill mention that in feedback

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think the culprit is putting the device to sleep and loading it up again. Once again, windows froze on me. Things can open but they can't close. I think ill mention that in feedback
Sleep in W10TP causes my devices all kinds of issues. I change all Sleep settings to Hibernate. Seems to work better. And out of interest, why a Bluetooth dongle? Does the Surface Pro not have Bluetooth? Was pretty sure it did.
Also, Vol Up + Power is a key combination for a dirty power down. Can get it out of that sleeping/resuming/not responding hissy fit. But is obviously a dirty shutdown.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Sleep in W10TP causes my devices all kinds of issues. I change all Sleep settings to Hibernate. Seems to work better. And out of interest, why a Bluetooth dongle? Does the Surface Pro not have Bluetooth? Was pretty sure it did.
Also, Vol Up + Power is a key combination for a dirty power down. Can get it out of that sleeping/resuming/not responding hissy fit. But is obviously a dirty shutdown.

Oh the Bluetooth dongle is for my Logitech mice and its unifying software. One dongle for 2 mice. I've never tried pairing both to the built in Bluetooth. I'll try the hibernate thing though. Thanks for the tip!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss