Windows 10 for gaming (thoughts?)

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
On friday night i got a new gpu to replace my broken gtx 560ti, the one i got is only a gtx 670 but hay funds are tight.
I thought best bet is to replace the os completly have a fresh start no bad drivers hiding about, i know im using windows 10 (build 1041) on my laptop (as its my development machine and i need access to the emulators that my windows 8.1 home edition does not allow :( ) its been rock solid, ill use that.

for me this was a big mistake, space engineers crashed a few times other games seemed slugish, when i installed the latest drivers i got the new BSOD screen.

My main pc is back to windows 8.1 and running like a slightly old champ again :)

im wondering i was just unlucky, so whats been your experince with games on win 10? (and what gpu are you using)

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
In regards to games, I play Guild Wars 2 regularly, and anything good on Steam at the time and it's been rock solid lately, running the latest fast ring build. At first I had the same issues you did, but it's been getting clearer and clearer with each update.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
There were definitely issues in 1041 and 1046 related to graphics drivers. 1046 not as much but still there. 10061 has been rock solid for me and have not encountered any major issues.

ATI hd7950 here. 90% of what I do on my PC is gaming and for me the graphics and fps are actually much better under windows 10 then they were under 8.1.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
There were definitely issues in 1041 and 1046 related to graphics drivers. 1046 not as much but still there. 10061 has been rock solid for me and have not encountered any major issues.

ATI hd7950 here. 90% of what I do on my PC is gaming and for me the graphics and fps are actually much better under windows 10 then they were under 8.1.

it really is looking like my issue was that i was on the "stable" branch when i should of gone for cutting edge. bad news for me as im now back on windows 8.1 but good news for when windows 10 is out

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
FYI, GTX560ti and GTX670 use the exact same driver, as far as I know.

I'm running a GTX550ti, lastest available driver from NVidia website (for 8.1/8/7/vista). Build 10061 of Win10, Runs the new alpha Unreal Tournament and whatever else I've thrown at it just fine.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
sort of, its certainly the same setup file for both, but im guessing different drivers.

theres a new unreal tournament oooooo cool!

another case of the fast ring being ok, There is clearly a pattern here lol

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
games on windows 10 are a bit iffy, a lot of it seems to do with video drivers, you get the dx12 driver with a fresh install.. games hate that driver, but until the last 2 builds you could install the latest 8.1 drivers and games rand beautifully, now that doesn't seem to work well anymore, while I don't get bsod's, there is a massive fps drop (all games run at around 14 fps) I think Microsoft has been tweaking wdm (they did mention they are going overhaul it and claimed to make windowed mode as efficient as fullscreen, thus eliminating the need for fullscreen) so at this point, I think were entering the awkward stage of no gaming where Microsoft is starting to mess with the graphics portion and breaking video drivers

FYI, GTX560ti and GTX670 use the exact same driver, as far as I know.

I'm running a GTX550ti, lastest available driver from NVidia website (for 8.1/8/7/vista). Build 10061 of Win10, Runs the new alpha Unreal Tournament and whatever else I've thrown at it just fine.

Definitely not true, they share an installer , each nvidia installer though contains tons of drivers for different cards, no two cards share the same driver.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not true, they share an installer , each nvidia installer though contains tons of drivers for different cards, no two cards share the same driver.
My main point being that the OP could simply have swapped the card, at worst have to run the NVIDIA installer again; no need replacing the whole OS for that.

I just did a walkthrough of the .inf and while there are a lot of variables, it sure looks like there's one set of binaries used by all or most all of the supported cards.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
My main point being that the OP could simply have swapped the card, at worst have to run the NVIDIA installer again; no need replacing the whole OS for that.

I just did a walkthrough of the .inf and while there are a lot of variables, it sure looks like there's one set of binaries used by all or most all of the supported cards.

Indeed that approach is possible though i have taken it before and its not gone well for me. There was mitigating circumstances i did not mention, my gtx 560 ti was dieing (hell dead by the time i replaced it) that system had not been used in a few months (low wage high bills mean saving is not easy) and before that i did everything i could to keep the guard alive including modifying driver files to downclock the guard and all sorts of registry changes, pretty much anything to be able to keep my system up and running. A clean restart was the best bet for me :)

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've found that using Microsoft supplied drivers (which are installed during the Windows 10 install, or via automatic updates) is pretty much universally a bad thing when it comes to nvidia/amd graphics drivers and playing games on Windows 10.

It's usually better to just use the 8.1 drivers or beta drivers supplied by Nvidia/AMD.

I haven't had any graphical issues over a plethora of games (pretty much my entire Steam library and most of the major MMOs) with Windows 10 unless I was using graphics drivers installed by Microsoft automatically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3