One thing I wish Windows would do that it doesn't...

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
... incoming text messaging from my lumia phone being sent to a messaging client on my PC. (No, I'm not talking Skype). I really miss this from my days with Apple devices. I know that on the iPhone all text messaging goes through their servers but for some time now any Apple device can receive a message from any source and reply on any device (as long as the iPhone is nearby for rerouting I assume).

Can anyone tell me why this isn't possible with Windows? If it's something obvious then I apologize in advance.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Nothing is physically stopping it, except Microsoft's decisions. I definitely hope this will make it to the final build.
I think it's something more than that. Perhaps MS is just afraid of being a "me too" in this regard. (But that didn't stop them from taking the concept of multiple desktops from OSX - almost verbatim).

There's either some magic pixie-tech Apple has that's too hard to replicate or just not enough people interested in this. The ability to "text" from a desktop using a real keyboard to anyone on the planet regardless of phone platform is something you don't miss if you never had it I guess.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I imagine its just a matter of priorities.

I've heard somewhere those sorts of continuity iOS/OS X stuff and whatnot are on the table for the future.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it's more complicated due to the fact that most PC hardware is not made by Microsoft. Apple can easily achieve that type of integration since it makes all of its own hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it is too complicated... I read an article the other day that said that feature was coming to Windows 10. I don't recall where it was I read this, might have been one of the WC articles covering build.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it's more complicated due to the fact that most PC hardware is not made by Microsoft. Apple can easily achieve that type of integration since it makes all of its own hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

It has absolutely nothing to do with hardware. If I remember correctly, Windows XP could send messages to other computers on the network with a command like:
">net send [ip of the device] [message]"
I can assure you that this would be ridiculously easy to implement.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Your SMS on your Apple devices are going thru imessage servers which showed why you can get it thru all your Apple devices, no one picked up on that I guess. And imessage can be a pain when you leave that infrastructure

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Your SMS on your Apple devices are going thru imessage servers which showed why you can get it thru all your Apple devices, no one picked up on that I guess. And imessage can be a pain when you leave that infrastructure

Not to mention, I think only messaging between i devices runs through iMessage, so if someone outside of your circle of iFriends messages you, i don't think that shows up across devices.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
And yes there is another platform that can do it by the name of BlackBerry and BlackBerry blend. And it does with software loaded on your desktop and not going thru additional servers.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also the Touchpad/Pre devices synced messaging somehow... Can't remember if the Touchpad and Pre had to be connected by Bluetooth or just through your webOS account (I think they used Bluetooth)

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I doubt it is too complicated... I read an article the other day that said that feature was coming to Windows 10. I don't recall where it was I read this, might have been one of the WC articles covering build.
I have read this as well. In a couple of places. It's hinted that this will make the initial W10 release.

Not to mention, I think only messaging between i devices runs through iMessage, so if someone outside of your circle of iFriends messages you, i don't think that shows up across devices.
If you mean outside your contact list then yes. I think that's how it worked. I do know that starting with iOS 8, messaging from "anywhere" showed up on all my iDevices, even if it was coming from an Android phone as long as your own iPhone was near the iPad/Mac. (Your iPhone will simply forward those messages via Bluetooth or WiFi - can't remember which). Prior to iOS8 (I think), this ability was limited to only those people within the Apple device community.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This could be done through a Microsoft managed cloud service. Just a matter of how MSFT designs it's messaging apps as this is already possible on Android with an app called MightyText which supports synchronized texting (SMS & MMS) from your cell number from any browser.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)