The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-18-2015 11:10 AM
27 12
tools
    ... incoming text messaging from my lumia phone being sent to a messaging client on my PC. (No, I'm not talking Skype). I really miss this from my days with Apple devices. I know that on the iPhone all text messaging goes through their servers but for some time now any Apple device can receive a message from any source and reply on any device (as long as the iPhone is nearby for rerouting I assume).

Can anyone tell me why this isn't possible with Windows? If it's something obvious then I apologize in advance.
    NeerajMakeBelieve likes this.
    04-29-2015 05:24 PM
    Nothing is physically stopping it, except Microsoft's decisions. I definitely hope this will make it to the final build.
    04-29-2015 05:27 PM
    Nothing is physically stopping it, except Microsoft's decisions. I definitely hope this will make it to the final build.
    I think it's something more than that. Perhaps MS is just afraid of being a "me too" in this regard. (But that didn't stop them from taking the concept of multiple desktops from OSX - almost verbatim).

There's either some magic pixie-tech Apple has that's too hard to replicate or just not enough people interested in this. The ability to "text" from a desktop using a real keyboard to anyone on the planet regardless of phone platform is something you don't miss if you never had it I guess.
    04-30-2015 12:32 PM
    I don't see what's complicated about it. I mean, it's just a story of sending a few kilobytes over the wifi. It would be incredibly simple.
    05-01-2015 12:47 PM
    I imagine its just a matter of priorities.

I've heard somewhere those sorts of continuity iOS/OS X stuff and whatnot are on the table for the future.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-01-2015 02:42 PM
    Perhaps it's more complicated due to the fact that most PC hardware is not made by Microsoft. Apple can easily achieve that type of integration since it makes all of its own hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Ed Boland likes this.
    05-01-2015 02:46 PM
    I doubt it is too complicated... I read an article the other day that said that feature was coming to Windows 10. I don't recall where it was I read this, might have been one of the WC articles covering build.
    Laura Knotek and Kodiak12 like this.
    05-01-2015 03:02 PM
    Perhaps it's more complicated due to the fact that most PC hardware is not made by Microsoft. Apple can easily achieve that type of integration since it makes all of its own hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    It has absolutely nothing to do with hardware. If I remember correctly, Windows XP could send messages to other computers on the network with a command like:
    ">net send [ip of the device] [message]"
    I can assure you that this would be ridiculously easy to implement.
    05-01-2015 03:37 PM
    Your SMS on your Apple devices are going thru imessage servers which showed why you can get it thru all your Apple devices, no one picked up on that I guess. And imessage can be a pain when you leave that infrastructure
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-01-2015 04:24 PM
    Your SMS on your Apple devices are going thru imessage servers which showed why you can get it thru all your Apple devices, no one picked up on that I guess. And imessage can be a pain when you leave that infrastructure
    Not to mention, I think only messaging between i devices runs through iMessage, so if someone outside of your circle of iFriends messages you, i don't think that shows up across devices.
    Laura Knotek and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-01-2015 04:27 PM
    And yes there is another platform that can do it by the name of BlackBerry and BlackBerry blend. And it does with software loaded on your desktop and not going thru additional servers.
    05-01-2015 04:29 PM
    Also the Touchpad/Pre devices synced messaging somehow... Can't remember if the Touchpad and Pre had to be connected by Bluetooth or just through your webOS account (I think they used Bluetooth)
    05-01-2015 04:33 PM
    Also the Touchpad/Pre devices synced messaging somehow... Can't remember if the Touchpad and Pre had to be connected by Bluetooth or just through your webOS account (I think they used Bluetooth)
    It used Bluetooth.
    05-01-2015 10:31 PM
    I doubt it is too complicated... I read an article the other day that said that feature was coming to Windows 10. I don't recall where it was I read this, might have been one of the WC articles covering build.
    I have read this as well. In a couple of places. It's hinted that this will make the initial W10 release.

Not to mention, I think only messaging between i devices runs through iMessage, so if someone outside of your circle of iFriends messages you, i don't think that shows up across devices.
    If you mean outside your contact list then yes. I think that's how it worked. I do know that starting with iOS 8, messaging from "anywhere" showed up on all my iDevices, even if it was coming from an Android phone as long as your own iPhone was near the iPad/Mac. (Your iPhone will simply forward those messages via Bluetooth or WiFi - can't remember which). Prior to iOS8 (I think), this ability was limited to only those people within the Apple device community.
    05-08-2015 11:14 AM
    I posted the same question here http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...abilities.html
    and got this link as an answer: Microsoft is turning Skype into its own version of iMessage in Windows 10 | The Verge
    so yes, we will get this feature!
    05-08-2015 04:11 PM
    This could be done through a Microsoft managed cloud service. Just a matter of how MSFT designs it's messaging apps as this is already possible on Android with an app called MightyText which supports synchronized texting (SMS & MMS) from your cell number from any browser.
    05-11-2015 11:54 PM
    If ms could include slipt screen on windows phone for phones with 4.5 inch screen and upwards
    05-12-2015 12:14 AM
    If ms could include slipt screen on windows phone for phones with 4.5 inch screen and upwards
    are you in the wrong thread?
    05-12-2015 03:06 AM
    are you in the wrong thread?
    No, I think that's his one thing he wishes Windows 10 could do.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-12-2015 03:26 AM
    Openvpn support on the mobile devices - support for Commercial VPN setup.
    05-12-2015 03:34 AM
    One feature I have always wanted. Its becoming a more needed feature for me. To th point where I would switch OS for this feature in the coming year.
    05-12-2015 07:30 AM
    What is slipt screen?
    Wow, it can be confusing to have the name of the operating system for computer, tablet, and phone all the same. I thought we were just discussing the computer? They are converging but the required feature set will always be different for different uses.

Edit: Oh, "split screen"!
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 05-13-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    05-12-2015 08:05 AM
    I was thinking this same thing, the ability to answer and receive text messages and phone calls on a windows device would be amazing
    05-12-2015 02:23 PM
    Lenovo has a software named Yoga Phone Companion. It came with Yoga 2 Pro. It allows this feature to be used between android devices and Yoga. But no WP support.
    05-12-2015 02:30 PM
    I know that is only applies to a small percentage of us, but you can do this if you have Verizon and a Windows 8.1 PC: Verizon Messages app for Windows in the Windows Store. The app is kind of hit or miss though.
    05-14-2015 06:39 AM
27 12