Look how the Android community is embracing Windows 10!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why don't people now realize how exciting it will be when your favorite bank notifies you when you are working in desktop.w10 should function such intuitively like phone where users are notified about real agendas from apps.I would like to see my PC turning more than a web browser with quality apps I hope this will revolutionize industry.

ankitj4060

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I really want that Microsoft allows installation of android apps to windows phone
It already announced that Android and IOS apps can now be easily ported to Windows phone devices but I want installation feature also.
Microsoft please

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I really want that Microsoft allows installation of android apps to windows phone
It already announced that Android and IOS apps can now be easily ported to Windows phone devices but I want installation feature also.
Microsoft please

Wont happen ever, that's what Blackberry did and look at where they're at now. .5% global market share. Microsoft's method is theoretically superior and safer than what BB did. So don't ask because it wont come.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Nobody will use banking apps on their desktops, so will the banks be interested or not?

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see app parity across platforms (cough) Facebook (cough)... But what is the incentive for iOS and Droid developers to add yet another overhead to their process? It's not to get apps into the WP marketshare. Would it be to get into the Windows 10 (desktop) marketshare? If that's the path, aren't the apps there already (for all intents and purposes)?

Let me answer both of these with another quote:
Why not ? Its 2015, I could see the bank app work for desktop. How ? NOTIFICATIONS. Similiar to Windows email notifications in upper corner. It would notify you about payments and other stuff. Its not a bad idea.

Yeah, I'd use the banking app. Imagine I could get a notification if my balance falls below a certain amount, right on my desktop while I'm working! Or that a payment ACH has been issued. I could "track" certain payees and be notified when payments are made.

Imagine Facebook notifications when someone comments on a photo you posted. Yeah, I would use a Facebook app for W10 if it was done right, on Desktop. I would also use the banking app.

Imagine, for example, I'm on a business trip and I am 500 miles from my local bank. I get a check for payment and need to make a deposit. Back at the hotel room, I just hold the check up to my laptop camera and deposit the check through the banking app in W10. This actually happened to me last year, and I had to wait until I got home to deposit the check, due to the fact that the bank did not have a branch where I was on vacation. An app would have saved me a lot of headache, because you can't deposit checks using the web site.

Notifications and integration with Cortana make apps for the desktop very attractive to me. Imagine I am about to go out to dinner on a nice date. Before I get up from my computer to go get dressed, I just say, "Hey, Cortana! What's the current balance in my checking account?" She then gives me the available balance so that I don't get embarrassed at dinner. THAT kind of app is possible with Windows 10.

This is the future. People are going to love that type of integration so much that many people will begin using apps, I believe. Windows 8 didn't give much reason for people to write apps for it, because there just aren't that many Win8 users. Windows 10 will be different.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm rather disappointed everyone is still so app happy. What about that cloud thing everyone yacks about? I would have thought by now everything on your phone would be moving towards browser-based web functionality instead of having to download, maintain, and utilize functionally deficient apps. There is almost never an app that beats a full-fledged website for functionality, and with responsive design more and more sites are getting very usable on phones. I think that is the real future--almost everything running from the web.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm rather disappointed everyone is still so app happy. What about that cloud thing everyone yacks about? I would have thought by now everything on your phone would be moving towards browser-based web functionality instead of having to download, maintain, and utilize functionally deficient apps. There is almost never an app that beats a full-fledged website for functionality, and with responsive design more and more sites are getting very usable on phones. I think that is the real future--almost everything running from the web.
Not everyone has fast internet yet. Right now were are embracing a mix of the cloud and apps. In the future we'll probably rely on the cloud more

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

As it was mentioned, not everyone has fast internet. Not to mention those people that either go to areas or transit areas that have NO cell connectivity.
Yes, it still happens, but there are plenty of places that do not have cell or internet connectivity. Until there is universal coverage in every nook and cranny of the world, there will still be a need for "apps".

No internet => no web app => local app wins.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the app. A banking app would have no use on the desktop, since the main purpose of banking apps on mobile devices involves taking pictures of checks to deposit them.

Nobody would use an app for a store on a desktop, laptop or tablet. For example, the Starbucks app allows one to scan his/her Starbucks Card at the register to pay for coffee. Nobody will take a laptop or tablet to the register to scan.

Other apps do have a purpose. The Netflix app for Windows 8.1 works great on desktop, since it is less of a resource hog than viewing Netflix in a PC browser.

This is probably about as short sighted as one can get. There absolutely is a need and a reason for a banking app on desktop and tablet. Easier access to banking information can be very useful, and if sandboxes properly, can be secure.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

A much better link to a standards authority. So it is a draft standard. Which is pretty much the same as saying it's not a standard, because it isn't because it hasn't been ratified.

Of course since Apple are using that one, Google is of course using this other draft 'standard' for notifications Push API

Don't you just love this. Everyone does their own thing, proposing options until eventually things battle their way out of draft status and become a real standard.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I would like some messaging apps to come to the desktop or tablet.

Being able to respond to a Whatsapp message when using my desktop works fine for me. I'd almost prefer it sometimes.

Sometimes I prefer also to use banking apps/websites from desktop - because I prefer a full keyboard sometimes. And more privacy.

Having the choice is great. People find find different uses for tools other than intended. Sometimes it turns out to be quite clever!

Good post - interesting!

I just went over google play to see the top grossing apps, there are mostly games, messaging apps. Yes, some apps can't leverage the desktop experience but as I see there, we all can benefit from all the other apps that are/can be relevant on desktop. And certainly apps can be tailored to match the desktop experience, For example banking ones, the advantage of using phones over desktop is valid, however the apps can substitute for websites or other experiences. I don't know much about banking, just gave out an idea. Developers can, with some innovation, have a different app experience on desktop while maintaining the universal scheme.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is probably about as short sighted as one can get. There absolutely is a need and a reason for a banking app on desktop and tablet. Easier access to banking information can be very useful, and if sandboxes properly, can be secure.

You're speaking theoretically. Laura is speaking real world. You're both correct looking at it that way.

All this talk about W10 "taking off" because of its advantages over the competition, including this one, is theoretical. Yes, it might be fast, simple, stable, beautiful, capable, etc. We'll soon have apps galore because now the customer base is expanded to include desktop users. No one should be able to NOT like it, or to turn it down. But in the real world, that's what is happening. Sure there's a reason for banking apps on the desktop. But are people going to use them?

As an example, did you know that a bumblebee cannot fly, looking at it logically? If man would have never seen a bumblebee fly, but analyzed it to the end of the world, it would be determined that there's no way it can fly. Yet it does. Things don't always work as it seems they should.

I agree with Laura. I don't see a lot of apps being used on both phone & desktop, or on the desktop period. Mobile devices depend on apps, and desktops depend on web apps. Some (Store) apps will be used on one, and some on the other, but we're not at the place yet where apps are default on the desktop. That day may come eventually, in fact it probably will, but not anytime soon. By then we might be on the next computing paradigm where it's all moot anyway.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
A much better link to a standards authority. So it is a draft standard. Which is pretty much the same as saying it's not a standard, because it isn't because it hasn't been ratified.

Of course since Apple are using that one, Google is of course using this other draft 'standard' for notifications Push API

Don't you just love this. Everyone does their own thing, proposing options until eventually things battle their way out of draft status and become a real standard.

I think those two work together. The Push API describes a general purpose system to push messages to the client. The Notification API describes how the notification (a particular kind of message) should be handled and presented to the user.

Chrome implemented both:
http://www.programmableweb.com/news...kills-java-and-silverlight-plugins/2015/04/17

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
From that article:

So Microsoft took a position that apps shouldn't be developed and that it was okay to yank apps from under the feet of customers for 6 months or more. And are arrogant enough to say websites are adequate. Of course its only arrogance if you take him at his word. The truth is worse. I've said before and this pretty much proves I was right that the banking apps only existed in the 1st place because MS stepped in and did them or paid for them. But they can't admit that because it makes them appear the fool. Of course that isn't going to stop them from doing it all over again. And I don't have any problem with them doing that; its their money and reputation but please own the mistakes and don't lie to your customers. If it wasn't a bunch of bull approved from above, Steve would have been fired on the spot for saying it would have been a bad idea for the banks( or anyone) to update or develop Windows Phone apps.

Even if someone in his position can understand why a business might not update or create an app, they should never publicly say that a decision that harms every Windows Phone customer who use those banks was the right thing to do.

I doubt he even believes what he said, but kissing up to the banks was more important than Windows users who could always eat cake (use web sites) instead.

I don't doubt it. Banking apps are some of the most regularly updated on all stores due to what they deal with. I heard about this when it happened because I deal with Chase as a credit card processor for business as well. It had more to do with them openly questioning if they could have a Win10 app available at launch if they had to update the WP8 app. MS said it was mutual probably because they aren't interested in forcing a bank to do something. Long term having them all onboard for Win10 is more important than having them on WP8.

Windows 10 and app support there is the long term goal here and I understand sacrificing a couple of months of an app for WP8.1 in order to get Win10 apps in the store.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

In my place (Hong Kong), I seldom use banking app because the bank web site provides full functionalities. Some of them are also optimized for smartphone/tablet. So I don't know why banking app is a desperate need.

According to my experience, banking app may not be that fast. The speed mainly depends on the server-side response time.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that developers will be interested in creation of new WP apps or portion of applications from android.
Small number of users is problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb