05-06-2015 06:30 PM
33 12
tools
    I ignored previous builds for fear of them being unstable. After they changed name from technical to insider, I thought to myself that this is a relatively stable build. So I took the plunge after following instructions with regards to USB recovery. I am not complaining about bugginess. I know that incomplete software is buggy. What has happened here is not a bug. It's devastation! My friend is using Ubuntu to recover my files. I am devastated....i had 10 yrs worth of music and family pix.
    THIS absolutely made my day. Thx!
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-01-2015 08:56 AM
    THIS absolutely made my day. Thx!
    Time for the word of the day! (its relevant trust me)

Schadenfreude
    Roland Stoll likes this.
    05-01-2015 11:54 AM
    I know what it means because i speak german ;)

And I am not exactly spiteful I just can't stand peoples naivety.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-01-2015 12:25 PM
    I know what it means because i speak german ;)

And I am not exactly spiteful I just can't stand peoples naivety.
    I kinda feel for the guy. Yeah, ignoring a million warnings and loading experimental software on your primary device (a brand new SP3 and a work one at that too!!) is pretty craycray, but hey, he's a Microsoft fan and wanted to be part of the early adopter experience, you gotta give him credit for that
    xandros9 and hotphil like this.
    05-01-2015 12:43 PM
    I do and I absolutely understand why he wanted to try - but hey people need to learn to make backups.
    xandros9 and neo158 like this.
    05-01-2015 12:44 PM
    Seriously, Even if it's an insider preview and there is tons of warning, people could at least help him out...

I've had the same problem on my primary device, but I was well aware of the risks so I didn't mind and went to look for sollutions. The following worked like a charm:

1. Create a bootable USB, with tech preview 10074 (5 Ways to Make a USB Bootable - wikiHow) --> use winrar to unpack the ISO
    2. Put the USB in the Surface and turn the surface on by pressing volume down and the power button (this makes the device boot from any USB in the USB slot)
    3. The computer will boot into the installation program.You don't want to loose your stuff so don't do a clean install, instead click on "repair my computer" (it's in a small font underneath the install button)
    4. Your surface is now in repair mode and guess what: you can do whatever you want to repair your problems. One of the options (which is the one you'll want to use) is refresh my pc (without losing programs and files). Since the bootable USB has all the nescessary files, the thing will start refreshing, if all else fails you'll still be able to do a clean install. At least your device will work properly again.

Regards and good luck!
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-03-2015 02:43 PM
    If you didn't make a backup and you used your main PC (I used my main laptop but I don't mind having to reformat my HDD and reinstall all 3 operating systems I have). It's an unstable build, things are going to crash, you might get BSOD. Also, need I mention OneDrive. You could of dragged and dropped your stuff in there, I think you get 15 GB free.
    05-04-2015 04:17 AM
    Don't know if you have fixed your problem, but I'd like to try to help.

I had a similar issue after installing an older build of Win10 and then wanting to go back to Win 8.1, my surface wouldn't recognize the recovery USB I had created. So I downloaded the Win 8 ISO files (they are available on the insider website) and put them on a USB drive, and installed from that. I then had to go get all the surface drivers, so it was a pain, but in the end it got my surface running again. I feel your pain.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    05-06-2015 06:30 PM
33 12