05-06-2015 06:30 PM
33 12
tools
    Waited for hours for this thing to load and then enjoyed windows 10 for 7 minutes. It crashed and it's asking me for recovery. I understand that it's incomplete and buggy but dam it it should be at least usable for more than 7 minutes....ruined my night.
    04-29-2015 11:32 PM
    04-29-2015 11:34 PM
    Gotta a sp3. This is what happened 7 minutes after I loaded 10074wp_20150429_23_27_10_pro.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150429_23_27_10_Pro.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1,018.1 KB 
ID:	103526Click image for larger version. 

ID:	103526
    04-29-2015 11:36 PM
    Not sure why another "warning!!" is needed?
    It's got enough disclaimers already. And one BSOD on one device isn't all that significant.
    Just reinstall.​​
    L Beezy and xandros9 like this.
    04-29-2015 11:41 PM
    So just roll back.
    04-29-2015 11:42 PM
    I can't. I am trying. It's not recovering from USB. God dam them for releasing this pos. Buggy is one thing but bricking my sp3 is another. I am really buggn out right now as I need my computer for work.
    04-30-2015 12:07 AM
    Download the ISO and boot from it.
    04-30-2015 12:15 AM
    I can't. I am trying. It's not recovering from USB. God dam them for releasing this pos. Buggy is one thing but bricking my sp3 is another. I am really buggn out right now as I need my computer for work.
    I hate to be that guy, but... You installed a technical preview that came with extensive disclaimers, on a computer you NEED for your job, and you're upset that it's buggy?
    04-30-2015 12:25 AM
    Gotta a sp3. This is what happened 7 minutes after I loaded 10074Click image for larger version. 

Keep us informed as to how you go. No problems here on my SP3 ... so far...
    04-30-2015 12:28 AM
    I have installed on my MacBook 13" and it work perfectly.
    Posted on Lumia 1520 via Taptalk
    04-30-2015 12:43 AM
    It's not recognizing the USB... For some reason it's not reading it....
    04-30-2015 12:50 AM
    It's not recognizing the USB... For some reason it's not reading it....

Are to trying to boot from the USB device?
    If yes, try removing any SD card from your surface and then booting the device.
    Hope this helps.
    04-30-2015 01:00 AM
    You've disabled UEFI and set it to boot from USB, yes?
    ajayden likes this.
    04-30-2015 01:03 AM
    Something similar happened to me and I powered down manually. It booted into the previous build when I powered back up.
    04-30-2015 07:39 AM
    I ignored previous builds for fear of them being unstable. After they changed name from technical to insider, I thought to myself that this is a relatively stable build. So I took the plunge after following instructions with regards to USB recovery. I am not complaining about bugginess. I know that incomplete software is buggy. What has happened here is not a bug. It's devastation! My friend is using Ubuntu to recover my files. I am devastated....i had 10 yrs worth of music and family pix.
    04-30-2015 03:15 PM
    I am devastated....i had 10 yrs worth of music and family pix.
    I fully understand your plight and without intending to offend let me say... I think you got exactly what you deserved.

That goes for anyone installing pre-release software on their daily machines. Before backing up even. I will never understand this.
    neo158, Rasetech and Roland Stoll like this.
    04-30-2015 03:28 PM
    I'm not gonna say you deserve it, but God damn it dude, back up if you're trying risky stuff.
    Also, if it broke your PC, it doesn't mean it will break everyone's. I installed the 74 build and it's working great for me (except some apps won't work).

I'm not using backup or anything, but I put everything on my D:\ drive, so even if the system fails, I can always recover my files. Easy as that.
    04-30-2015 03:35 PM
    i had 10 yrs worth of music and family pix.
    I have had a stable experience as well. to keep 10 years worth of data on 1 device is bonkers. obviously, the SP3 wasn't your 1st machine, so you should have kept that data on your old machine as well, or backed up to an external device. your would be in the same boat if you fried your sp3, if it got stolen, or if the ssd dies. you "should" be able to do a repair install, keeping your data, of which properly booting off of USB is needed. TONS of info to do that is available.
    xandros9 and neo158 like this.
    04-30-2015 03:44 PM
    Waited for hours for this thing to load and then enjoyed windows 10 for 7 minutes. It crashed and it's asking me for recovery. I understand that it's incomplete and buggy but dam it it should be at least usable for more than 7 minutes....ruined my night.
    Let me guess, you upgraded from 10061 instead of a clean install?
    04-30-2015 03:46 PM
    Installed 10074 earlier today.
    Start and search was borked, but the update immediately after that fixed it.

Dude, you were the one who read the disclaimers warning of the risks, (data loss, bricking, damage, etc.) and you were the one who clicked Agree on an explicitly opt in program.

w8yeoti.jpg
    Clearly marked fire you had to agree to at that..

I understand the Insider rename misled you, but it didn't change to be magically better overnight. Paraphrasing the email I got: "its the same old OS"

Lets see what it says...
    Download and install the preview only if you

• Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.
    • Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.
    • Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.
    • Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.
    • Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Insider Preview may not be right for you.
    Things to keep in mind

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.
    Some installed apps might not yet work as expected or might not be available in your country or region. For example, Cortana is currently only available in English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Chinese (Simplified), German (Germany), French (France), Italian, and Spanish (Spain). To be able to use Cortana, the country or region for your system must be set to one of the available languages, and you also need to have installed that language's version of Insider Preview. In addition, the Cortana features that are available in one language might be different from those that are available in another.
    Also, if your PC runs into problems, Microsoft will likely examine your system files. If the privacy of your system files is a concern, consider using a different PC. For more info, read our privacy statement.
    Renamed thread to not mislead others. OP don't hesitate to drop me a line if you don't like what I did and want it back the way it was.
    Last edited by xandros9; 04-30-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    neo158 and L Beezy like this.
    04-30-2015 03:49 PM
    Gotta a sp3. This is what happened 7 minutes after I loaded 10074Click image for larger version. 

This is why you NEVER install preview software on production hardware. Always use a VM until it hits RC stage and even then be extremely careful.
    Forrest Guo likes this.
    04-30-2015 06:37 PM
    I have had a stable experience as well. to keep 10 years worth of data on 1 device is bonkers. obviously, the SP3 wasn't your 1st machine, so you should have kept that data on your old machine as well, or backed up to an external device. your would be in the same boat if you fried your sp3, if it got stolen, or if the ssd dies. you "should" be able to do a repair install, keeping your data, of which properly booting off of USB is needed. TONS of info to do that is available.
    Not to mention having OneDrive built in, most of that could have been stored there instead or, at the very least, backed up onto an external HDD.
    04-30-2015 06:44 PM
    I ignored previous builds for fear of them being unstable. After they changed name from technical to insider, I thought to myself that this is a relatively stable build. So I took the plunge after following instructions with regards to USB recovery. I am not complaining about bugginess. I know that incomplete software is buggy. What has happened here is not a bug. It's devastation! My friend is using Ubuntu to recover my files. I am devastated....i had 10 yrs worth of music and family pix.
    Ok I tried similar scenario here and have a solution for you.

I got it installed on a macbook with the same issue. Initially, I couldnt install, because it gave me the BSOD each time. After trying this method, I have installed it and working perfectly.

1) You have to download the ISO for a previous build might be 10041 or 10049. Then install that first even if it might be a bit buggy.
    2) Go to Settings > Update and Recovery > Updates
    3) In advanced change the option for receiving updates to "Fast track"
    4) Then check for updates again
    5) Download 10074 using the same screen (Click on download updates, if it doesnot automatically download)
    6) Then let it download and install
    7) From here on just follow the instructions in the installation program.

Also please take note of this
    When you install a preview software for the first times on any machine (PC/Tablet or Phone), it is best to install as a new device rather than upgrade from older versions. It reduces most of the issues.
    04-30-2015 10:13 PM
    Ok I tried similar scenario here and have a solution for you.

I got it installed on a macbook with the same issue. Initially, I couldnt install, because it gave me the BSOD each time. After trying this method, I have installed it and working perfectly.

1) You have to download the ISO for a previous build might be 10041 or 10049. Then install that first even if it might be a bit buggy.
    2) Go to Settings > Update and Recovery > Updates
    3) In advanced change the option for receiving updates to "Fast track"
    4) Then check for updates again
    5) Download 10074 using the same screen (Click on download updates, if it doesnot automatically download)
    6) Then let it download and install
    7) From here on just follow the instructions in the installation program.

Also please take note of this
    When you install a preview software for the first times on any machine (PC/Tablet or Phone), it is best to install as a new device rather than upgrade from older versions. It reduces most of the issues.
    The only ISO available is for the 10074 build. Also preview software should only be installed in a VM or spare machine and NEVER on production hardware.
    05-01-2015 04:44 AM
    I'm running the preview on an old laptop of mine.....thank God. I'm stuck on build 10061 and nothing will open....no apps, no windows...nothing....it's just stuck on the desktop page and won't budge. If I could at least get onto the app page I might be able to hit the settings tile and tinker around. If anybody can suggest a possible fix I'm all ears :)

But yeah, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd have stuck W10 preview on my SP3, let alone if it was a work machine. That's just common sense
    05-01-2015 08:27 AM
33 12