Can't download new build (10074)

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been very upset by a recurring glitch lately: every time I try to download a new build (so this is not the first build that I'm having problems with) the update gets stuck. First, when I check for updates after hearing about the new build, Windows Update lists the new build, and other patches (eg. security patches). Then it installs the patches only, and returns the new build with an error code. I figured this might be normal, since the small updates probably can not be installed at the same time with the huge new build.
Now, the problem is: next time I check for updates, I only get the new build, which is great, but then it freezes. Sometimes it starts downloading, but freezes again later on (it's been stuck at 16% for an hour now). I'm monitoring my network, and there is zero network activity from my laptop (which worries me, as it means Windows Update is doing nothing in particular). As the new interface provides no other information, this is all I know technically. Theoretically, I think it might have something to do with the Microsoft servers being busy, or maybe that the laptop has to "stand in line" to get the update (sometimes service providers do this to reduce server strain).
Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance. :smile:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Pretty hard to diagnose what might be the reason for it "sticking".
I'd just download the ISO and do a clean install.

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If only it was that simple. :)
Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to reinstall all my Win32 applications, so upgrading is the only method. It worked so far quite well, apart from the need to restart the update a few times. Eventually it does download the build, but when it gets stuck, it needs to be restarted. I just did that (even though I had to power down manually, since Windows couldn't shut down), and restarted. It's at 10% now and I really hope it is going to work this time.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If it helps, on the machine I'm testing on the download's just finished in the last ten minutes.
It started over 10 hours ago.​
Reinstalling Win32 apps needn't be a hassle - I've got a noddy batch file that just runs the silent installer for each one.​

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
You mean, it took 10 hours on your setup to download? That must be extremely annoying.
Mine is running smooth as of now, but of course it could freeze every second. There is no telling, when it might happen. :)
I see, so you have a list of commands that run the silent installers. I'm not familiar with that method. Is there a good walkthrough? Also, I'm not sure if all of my programs would support this. Thanks for the replies btw.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You mean, it took 10 hours on your setup to download? That must be extremely annoying.
Nah. I've got patience. And work to do :)
I see, so you have a list of commands that run the silent installers. I'm not familiar with that method. Is there a good walkthrough? Also, I'm not sure if all of my programs would support this. Thanks for the replies btw.

For a single machine that's not part of a wider maintenance effort to push install applications, I have a folder full of installers and a batch file. I'm sure a dev would laugh himself silly at my coding skills, but it works. I'm sure there's some good walkthroughs around, but as a couple of notes on how I do it:

To start.
Do a Bing for USSF (Universal Silent Switch Finder). Grab it.
Then for any Win32 apps you use, download the Full or Offline installer.
Use USSF (or launch each installer from an Administrator Command Prompt with the /? switch at the end) to check if the installer supports a silent installer. Most do, even if not documented. And many install packages can be opened with, say 7-zip, and the actual installers extracted from in there and then run silently.

Then create a batch file that calls the installers. Some examples of the kind of command:
start /wait SamsungUniversalPrintDriver2\Setup.exe /S
start /wait msiexec.exe /i "RVTools.msi" /passive /norestart
start /wait FoxitReader620.0429_enu_Setup.exe /SP- /verysilent /norestart
start /wait wusa.exe /quiet /norestart Windows8.1-KB2693643-x64.msu
start /wait RoboForm-Setup.exe /unatt
start /wait winscp570setup.exe /sp- /verysilent /norestart

For something like Virtual Clone Drive that wants a certificate installation too, you can put that command in there too:
start certutil -addstore "TrustedPublisher" ElaborateBytes.p7b
start /wait SetupVirtualCloneDrive5470.exe /S /noreboot

And you can enable/disable Windows Features too, for example it always infuriates me when Telnet client isn't enabled (I use it a lot to do a quick manual check of "broken" Exchange servers), but you can do it in a batch file with:

dism /online /Enable-Feature /norestart /FeatureName:TelnetClient

Then some Registry tweaks to tidy up cack like right-click>Send To> Fax Recipient. Never used it. Ever. Never going to use it. It annoys me. He, and some of his mates, get gone. As are some of the right-click>New options I've never used. Ever:

REG DELETE HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew /f
REG DELETE HKCR\.bmp\ShellNew /f
REG DELETE HKCR\.contact\ShellNew /f
REG DELETE HKCR\.jnt\jntfile\ShellNew /f
REG DELETE HKCR\.pptx\PowerPoint.Show.12\ShellNew /f
del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\Fax Recipient.lnk" /q
del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\Bluetooth File Transfer.lnk" /q
del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\Compressed (zipped) folder.ZFSendToTarget" /q

I've built my file up so it has menu choices, logging etc. And my old-school dinosaur mouse cursors. And it's been well worth the time spent doing it.

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am for your guide... :)
I'm definitely going to spend some quality time with this in the future, to streamline my Windows reinstallation process.

Unfortunately, though, after I downloaded the new build, everything went fine until my computer rebooted and said it couldn't upgrade to Windows 10, just like that. And then nothing, absolutely zero additional information. I'm quite annoyed, since I've spent too much time already trying to install it, and now it turns out it can not be installed at all. This is frustrating, I really need to use the ISO method, then. And just to clarify, I was not trying to upgrade from an older Windows install, like the error message said, this is Build 10061 I'm currently using. :(

EDIT: It seems like my error code "Error 0x80070652" means the installation was aborted thanks to my previous install attempt that got stuck.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
EDIT: It seems like my error code "Error 0x80070652" means the installation was aborted thanks to my previous install attempt that got stuck.
THat sucks. I'd delete the partition(s) and set it going again.

And I remembered another useful tool for "fresh" installs if you're interested - Windows Updates Downloader (WUD)
Saves wading through various MS sites trying to work out which Windows Updates a fresh install will try and download. Not yet got a category for Windows 10, but a quick check of updates applicable to Win8.1 should be clear enough. Then when you've got those standalone Windows Update installers they can be added into your install batch file:
start /wait wusa.exe /quiet /norestart Windows8.1-KBxxxxxxx-x64.msu

If, like me, you spend a lot of time on a rubbish internet connection then having the standalone installers available just saves Windows Update running for hours pulling down updates on a fresh install.

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is indeed very useful. I build/repair/reinstall computers quite often, and rubbish is not a strong enough adjective for my connection. :D
I have to 'abort' spending time with this now, but this is the way to do it, thank you once more. :)

Stokesperc1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on dell inspiron 3000. This has happened before on previous builds.. The problem worked it's way out after a couple of days though. Don't know why. I think it has to do with driver updates that are dell specific but get pushed through WU anyways. They end up falling and gumming up the rest of the Windows updates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans