Some iOS/Android Developers Not Excited About Porting Their Apps To Windows

anon(9236402)

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
They're also many that don't see the fact that Windows 10 is a universal OS, so if you screw the phone user base thinking that there's no incentive for them, then they're not seeing the big picture the PC/laptop, Xbox and tablet communities.

Exactly. They're still seeing it as Windows Phone, not Windows 10. And this is why Microsoft needs to do a better job getting the word out about this one. Not everyone was watching //build. Some people still won't care but at least it will attract more attention.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sure, some "phone apps" wouldn't be necessarily useful on "desktop machines" - but I would definitely say if there's a game that's fun to play on a tiny phone, it would be a much better experience on a Windows tablet with bigger screen and more resources.

A game I'm into right now is Pocket Tanks

There is a Windows 8.1 app but it's not the same as the phone... no online multiplayer! I so want to play this and destroy my buddies in full screen SP3 glory! :D And also access to other friends to destroy who don't use windows phone but have windows computers!!

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just to explain the maintenance of apps (even if it is generated from iOS or Android code).

As I am a developer, I would see it from the following stand point.
I can develop an app for iOS and Android and easily port it to WP and Windows.
So when I have an update for Android and iOS, I can port the updated code to WP and Windows, easily with the current announcements.

So update and maintenance wouldnt be an issue.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
If you ask desktop developers about porting their apps to Linux the answers would be similar.
WP is just too small and insignificant, It's the Linux of mobile. Even if the port is automatic, just one click, many developers won't do it.

plotsucker

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I think devs who make good money with their apps on Droid and/or IOS will take a look on this 4 sure. Devs who make crappy apps and actually dont earn much would argue like those ppl behind the "why should i" comments.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If you ask desktop developers about porting their apps to Linux the answers would be similar.
WP is just too small and insignificant, It's the Linux of mobile. Even if the port is automatic, just one click, many developers won't do it.

Not the same thing, you're only looking at Phones and not the entire Windows 10 ecosystem. With a potential billion extra customers then developers would have to be deaf, dumb and blind NOT to port their apps and games across to Windows.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Some devs were interviewed about this, and they say that its not worth it, mainly because:

• it is already easy to port, the problem is the manteinance and support
  • the low market share don't woth the effort

Sorry, not allowed yet to post links because i'm new

LINK tip: mashable com TITLE How developers really feel about Microsoft welcoming iOS and Android

1 billion devices is far from low marketshare.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I will admit I am not a developer but how is that any different than what is coming for Windows 10. On Windows 8/phone 8, I can buy the same app and it relatively has the same UI as it does on my lumia 1520 as it does on my surface pro 3. There may be some changes in the layout yes, but it works and looks the same overall.

In fact according to the Windows blog post

"Universal Windows apps are there to allow the same app to be written for Windows 8.1 Store and Windows Phone 8.1 with little code changes. Note that it’s not the same as linking a Windows and Phone app in the Store – this can be done in the non-Universal model as well; here I’m referring to actual code sharing, whether the apps will be linked in the Store or not. Almost everything can be shared, and obviously some things will have to change, such as UI layout, or usage of special features of one platform or the other. But, as it turns out, most code, and even XAML can actually be shared; and that’s a real advantage we didn’t have before."

So it having a 'separately maintained code" isn't true at all. Unless I am missing something. How is this really any different from Windows 8 universal apps for phone/desktop except now you can convert Android/IOS apps to do the same thing...that is if developers decide to make the apps natively.

From Windows Central Post:
"Android apps on Windows 10 won't be handled in such a way. Microsoft is making it so that Android developers can reuse their existing Java and C++ code to create a Windows 10 Universal App. The result will be a Windows app that behaves like a Windows app. It can use live tiles, Cortana and Xbox Live, for example. It'll require a little work on developers part, Google services will be substituted for Microsoft services, and all apps will integrate with the standard Windows navigation."

Which we will then see a bunch of crap ports with no native aspects and complaints in the future about app quality. Calling it :D

They may have done it differently the blackberry but I imagine the same complaints about app quality blackberry gets now will ring true for windows.
Completely different type of universal app. Currently, universal apps have separately maintained code bases for each device type, but have an "own on other devices" type of sales effort. The core of the program may have been the same, but the UI had to be different for each device. A pain to maintain. The new universal apps will be virtually identical in code with very few exceptions. Easy to maintain.

The terminology used ay be the same, but with vastly different meanings. It's been redefined in a big way here.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just want to point out that this biased article does not represent ALL iOS and Android developers. To be fair the article only pointed out the negatives by providing negative feedbacks from lazy, ignorant developers who cares about user base and money. The tweets themselves aren't even enough for a reliable sample size, there's like barely any responses, even if they include the emails. Statistically speaking, this is a highly biased article with a small sample size = not accurate.

How about publishing an article which includes major and minor, big or small, multiplatform developers. That would be a more reliable source, and would produce a more accurate response judging the fate of Windows 10's app ecosystem.

So please, don't be affected by this poorly written article. It's very pathetic how they've rushed into judging the development tools first without even experiencing it. It looks like they've skipped all the facts and experiments and went straight to the conclusion. All I can say is, if they're gonna bash a Microsoft product, at least do it right.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I will admit I am not a developer ...
In fact according to the Windows blog post
"Universal Windows apps are there to allow the same app to be written for Windows 8.1 Store and Windows Phone 8.1 with little code changes. Note that it’s not the same as linking a Windows and Phone app in the Store – this can be done in the non-Universal model as well; here I’m referring to actual code sharing, whether the apps will be linked in the Store or not. Almost everything can be shared, and obviously some things will have to change, such as UI layout, or usage of special features of one platform or the other. But, as it turns out, most code, and even XAML can actually be shared; and that’s a real advantage we didn’t have before."

So it having a 'separately maintained code" isn't true at all. Unless I am missing something.
The "separately maintained code" comes in from all the differing UI coding that must be done. With Windows 10, these are automatically reformatted on conditioning, and you don't have to have separate code for the UI on separate devices. You just code it for changes according to screen size and everything will automatically adjust. This is why with the phone continuum, it was the exact same Excel on the phone and full screen on a large monitor. It adjusts, and is the same exact code. Not a "mostly same" where parts have to be maintained separately. Big difference, and even a bigger difference on maintenance and such.

Which we will then see a bunch of crap ports with no native aspects and complaints in the future about app quality. Calling it :D
Agreed on that point. Pretty much get that anyway.

The way I see it, these devs are being ignorant and lazy. They're also many that don't see the fact that Windows 10 is a universal OS, so if you screw the phone user base thinking that there's no incentive for them, then they're not seeing the big picture the PC/laptop, Xbox and tablet communities. There are far more users there than on phones. To those devs who don't want to adopt, I wish them well; eventually they'll come to and realize the profit margin they're missing because they fail to adopt. This is truly remarkable; no other software company is going full scale like Microsoft has. This is the new Microsoft, not the domineering company of the 1990s and early 2000s.
As a consolation, the ignorant and lazy are rarely the successful. Those who are smart and work hard are generally the most successful. That's with any career path.

Just to explain the maintenance of apps (even if it is generated from iOS or Android code).

So when I have an update for Android and iOS, I can port the updated code to WP and Windows, easily with the current announcements.

Thank you for this. As a "retired" (mostly) developer who was in development for 35+ years, I have to agree. This is going to be so much easier to maintain across so many devices, it makes me want to get back into the action. Just no time. I'm too busy these days with enjoying life for a change. ;)

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

If for every $1 in WP, the developer makes $500 on iOS and $300 on Android. The incentive is too low even for that little work.

Another interesting point is for developers It would be better if Windows Mobile dies. Two platforms is already enough work. If developers support Windows is essentially helping the platform to survive and that only increase the amount of work and the costs in the long run.

Last edited:

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The "separately maintained code" comes in from all the differing UI coding that must be done. With Windows 10, these are automatically reformatted on conditioning, and you don't have to have separate code for the UI on separate devices. You just code it for changes according to screen size and everything will automatically adjust. This is why with the phone continuum, it was the exact same Excel on the phone and full screen on a large monitor. It adjusts, and is the same exact code. Not a "mostly same" where parts have to be maintained separately. Big difference, and even a bigger difference on maintenance and such.

With Universal apps in 8.1, developers already can reuse almost all their code including part of the UI code, in a shared project.
Windows 10 improves marginally the solution. It's not a game changer.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
With a potential billion extra customers...

The potential market is far smaller than one billion.

Can you name an app available in either Google Play or the Apple App store that EVERY Android / iOS user has installed (and not subsequently removed)?

Now name an app that every Windows device user will install on their device...

If for every $1 in WP, the developer makes $500 on iOS and $300 on Android. The incentive is too low even for that little work..

More to the point, why should any of those developers TRUST Microsoft to deliver what they are promising? So many MSFT technologies have been half-baked, cumbersome, or bloated monstrosities, especially ones recompiled for other platforms - anyone remember Word 6 on the Mac?

Microsoft has a quarter century history of screwing over competitors; it's not easy to accept that Microsoft has suddenly changed into the good guy. The turn around is eyed with suspicion or disbelief.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

While I generally agree with what you mean on this post, you are technically incorrect. Potential would mean how many devices it could be installed on.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Taking a dataset from twitter, even an informal one is a joke.

If I'm a rabid nutjob fan or Microsoft hater, I wait for someone from a big tech blog to ask publicly if I'm interested in the new Windows development opportunities. Of course I'll use twitter as a public spewing ground even if I'm not a developer, just to protect my precious platform.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It's been mentioned a few times in this thread that developers are focusing on the "phone" part, and ignoring the fact that these will be "desktop/tablet apps" also.

Right now, the Windows 8 store isn't that good, and a lot of people don't even use these apps on their PC's. I think developers know this, and it's making them not really enthused about the "universal app" vision Microsoft has. Their focus is on mobile phones, and Windows Phone's low market share is something that's probably on their mind quite a bit.

Also mentioned in this thread, "who would ignore a billion users?" ...how many out of a billion, mostly desktop users, will care about or even use Windows apps? It's hard to say, but right now, the number of people who use apps on their x86 machines has got to be pretty low, especially in comparison to those who use apps on competing mobile devices. I know for me, I use my Windows 8.1 machine to browse the web, play PC games, and use Photoshop. I don't use Windows apps at all. If I was using a Surface tablet, I imagine I would use Windows apps a lot more.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Can you name an app available in either Google Play or the Apple App store that EVERY Android / iOS user has installed (and not subsequently removed)?

Now name an app that every Windows device user will install on their device...

Another one who is only looking at it from the phone perspective and not the Windows 10 ecosystem as a whole.

You need to look up what "potential" means because what I know it means and what you THINK it means are two different things!!!

What has that got to do with apps being ported to Windows, not only that but people have different usage scenarios for their devices so no two users are going to have the same apps installed. If you want me to name apps then how about the Gmail app on Android, Safari on iOS and Calendar on WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb