Can Cortana respond to more than one person?

LordP666

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I am playing with an idea to have Cortana be a home assistant for my elderly mother.

Cortana would always be "on" and I would place microphones in each room and my mom could reply to phone calls, initiate phone calls, texts, ask for reminders etc.

I wondered if Cortana could also be used by someone else in the home - could she tell the difference between one voice and another.

My mom could carry a phone around but she'd have to remember where it is and remember to carry it around.

Any ideas would be welcome.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Based on my experiments, Cortana is generally able to respond to any person provided that the tonal quality and diction of the person is compatible with the language settings, e.g. if English US is the setting then any person using the generic American English non British accentuated English will be recognized. However, if the owner of the phone has a heavy non-American accent, then the phone may have troubles recognizing other users (even if they have an American Accent... and especially if other users who will attempt to use Cortana also have a heavy accent).

Your idea of wiring up your home for your Mom is pretty neat, though. I'd like to know how things will turn out with that system.:cool:

ericxxtreme

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, she could say "Hey Cortana" in a room and Cortana would imediatly be activated, since there are multiple microphones around the house! I think Cortana can help multiple people even if their voices are different. Excellent idea though!!!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that. While a regular inquiry can use any voice, the "Hey Cortana" feature is voice dependent.

LordP666

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I'm currently looking at microphone mixers, I'd need to have at least four connected to the PC or tablet.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I can't be of help, however, I hope this gets a response because it is a very interesting use of Cortana.

Hope it turns out positively!

I am playing with an idea to have Cortana be a home assistant for my elderly mother.

Cortana would always be "on" and I would place microphones in each room and my mom could reply to phone calls, initiate phone calls, texts, ask for reminders etc.

I wondered if Cortana could also be used by someone else in the home - could she tell the difference between one voice and another.

My mom could carry a phone around but she'd have to remember where it is and remember to carry it around.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99